Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 06:26 AM

5 posts, read 15,023 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to get opinions of people living in Cleveland. I'm a 25 year old, single, young professional who will be moving from DC to Cleveland this summer for a new job at the Cleveland Clinic. Prior to DC, I've lived in St. Louis and around Chicago. I'm currently looking online at areas/apartments I want to live in. Things I'm looking at when considering areas are proximity to bars (not so much the club scene) and restaurants, ratio of young professionals to families/elderly since I won't know anyone when I move and would love to meet people my age, and safety of the area for a single woman.

Areas I've begun to look into are east 4th (high on my list), Warehouse district, tremont, ohio city?, and lakewood. How safe are these areas for a single girl who doesn't know anyone?

I just wanted to get opinions from people who lived in these areas or in cleveland in general about the different areas. My price range is to preferably stay under $1200 a month (w/ or w/o factoring utilities/parking)

Also, VERY high on my list is the residences at 668. Does anyone live there and have comments. All I see is great things, but since it's new there doesn't seem to be a review site set up for it, so if there are negatives, I'd love to hear them!

Other things I want: updated look/feel to the apartment- granite, stainless steel, etc.; w/d in unit preferred; covered parking a MUST (I'm a bit nervous of the amount of snow Cleveland will get and would rather not dig my car out)

Thanks so much in advance for everyones help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 08:11 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,219,234 times
I'm from the Cleveland area and now live in Chicago. Cleveland is better than most people give it credit for but certainly a downgrade from Chicago or DC in terms of urban vibrancy. The good thing is that it has a lot of big-city amenities for a city its size and it's very easy to live there.

Downtown/Warehouse District and Lakewood are safe areas. Tremont and Ohio City a bit less so because they are still up-and-coming, but those areas have great bars and restaurants for young professionals (the best in Cleveland IMO).

You should add Little Italy and Cleveland Heights (specifically the Coventry area) to your list as well, as they have what you're looking for and are right next to University Circle.

I have also heard the rental market downtown is very tight there these days because there is not enough inventory to meet demand, so make sure to do your homework on places like 668.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:18 AM

38 posts, read 80,213 times
Lakewood is a great area if you don't want to live in Cleveland proper (but not that great when it comes to the bar scene). Otherwise, I would personally suggest either downtown (which you should be able to do on your budget given that Cleveland is dirt cheap anyway), or even the Flats District. I hope that helps.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:37 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,329,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
I'm from the Cleveland area and now live in Chicago. Cleveland is better than most people give it credit for but certainly a downgrade from Chicago or DC in terms of urban vibrancy.
Uh-oh. Now you've done it. (Stirred the hornets' nest, that is.)

Old 04-22-2012, 12:56 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,294,848 times
^ huh?? hornet's nest?

IMO, Ohio City should be your number one choice. Numerous bars (not clubs) and a growing young professional crowd.

668 Euclid Ave and E.4th street both have over a 100 person waiting lists so you know!

Old 04-22-2012, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
^ huh?? hornet's nest?

IMO, Ohio City should be your number one choice. Numerous bars (not clubs) and a growing young professional crowd.

668 Euclid Ave and E.4th street both have over a 100 person waiting lists so you know!
I think the concern with Ohio City is for a young single females' safety though, and I feel there are better (and safer) choices than Ohio City. This isn't just about what area has the best bar scene, it's about the overall picture.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:14 AM

Thanks for your guys' advice! And, yeah, Costello- seems like there are HUGE wait lists for the east 4th area, which is upsetting because I could definitely see myself living in that area. I have yet to contact actual east 4th leasing office, so maybe they will have good news tomorrow? I think it's difficult because I won't even make it to Cleveland to look around until Memorial Day weekend :-\ ... Are 1900 Euclid Lofts and University Lofts heavily populated with students? I see there's law buildings around there, so I'm fine with graduate students, I just don't want it to be the dorm feel all over again.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:50 PM

12 posts, read 16,971 times
I'm 22 and have been in the Cleveland area for almost a year now. All of my friends ended up living in the Warehouse district. Plenty of bars and nightclubs so you have your choice depending on what your looking for. It's a really diverse crowd from what I've seen. Not sure about the living situation in Ohio City but I've been out there plenty of times to various bars and breweries and loved it. It's usually 95% full but check out the Bingham apartments off of West 6th.

Btw, don't live anywhere without a parking garage or some sort of private lot. Both my buddy and my own car got broken into over the past month just on the street outside of our apts.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:09 PM

Thanks! I definitely am looking for somewhere with a parking garage- mainly because a) I want my car secure and b) I would rather not deal with shoveling my car out everyday in the winter

I was also just looking at the huron/osborne building. For those from/living in Cleveland - how is the area around that apartment. Would I be safe walking to the bars around or to east 4th on prospect?

Old 04-24-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemarc View Post
I'm 22 and have been in the Cleveland area for almost a year now. All of my friends ended up living in the Warehouse district. Plenty of bars and nightclubs so you have your choice depending on what your looking for. It's a really diverse crowd from what I've seen. Not sure about the living situation in Ohio City but I've been out there plenty of times to various bars and breweries and loved it. It's usually 95% full but check out the Bingham apartments off of West 6th.

Btw, don't live anywhere without a parking garage or some sort of private lot. Both my buddy and my own car got broken into over the past month just on the street outside of our apts.
I would defiantly recommend the Bingham Apartments too!!! Those are some sweet apartments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz25 View Post
Thanks! I definitely am looking for somewhere with a parking garage- mainly because a) I want my car secure and b) I would rather not deal with shoveling my car out everyday in the winter

I was also just looking at the huron/osborne building. For those from/living in Cleveland - how is the area around that apartment. Would I be safe walking to the bars around or to east 4th on prospect?
You should be okay in that area. You'll still be close enough to CSU that Campus Police will still patrol, and you'll have plenty of students strolling around as well. That would be a safe area. I wouldn't venture too much further East on Superior past 13th though if you find yourself over there. It can get a bit hairy. But the entire section on Euclid from Playhouse Square all the way to CSU should be totally fine. Plus, Cleveland is so cheap as far as the cost of living is censored, that you should be able to score a pretty sweet pad for a reasonable rate. Keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland