Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 08:35 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times

Advertisements

I dont think Ohio City and Tremont are that bad and there are a lot worse areas in Cleveland than those neighborhoods. But I dont think they are as nice a lot of people will say. They have houses in Ohio City for 200k and that seems a lot more than they are worth. Those neighborhoods dont look that bad but there are a lot of streets that still have abandoned houses and burnt houses on them in Ohio City and Tremont. I know if you go a little bit south or west there is a lot worse areas than those. I was thinking of moving into the Near Westside of Cleveland but I think the crime is still a little too high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 09:21 PM

181 posts, read 838,017 times
If you're worried about spillover crime from the streets with abandoned buildings or whatnot then there are practical steps you can follow to live comfortably in these places. Don't walk around alone at night... look confident when you're out... and otherwise don't do thing that invite criminals to target you. If you drive an expensive car, park it on the street, and leave cell phones, ipods, laptops in visible sight, you can't honestly expect them to be there the next morning.

The people who whine and cry about how bad the crime in these neighborhoods probably will it on themselves to some extent by walking around with the fear of god in their eyes and getting over-emotional every time they read about something bad happens in the area. If you aren't willing to adapt to the neighborhood then stay away. And if you are willing to adapt, then don't let everyone else who's too scared talk you out of it.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:43 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,416 times
i enjoyed my 5 years in tremont. you would be a pioneer to move in and want to raise a new family. its very urban and does have very rough areas surrounding it. i personaly would not make the investment with kids yet,, for many reasons. 1. police in cleveland are spread too thin. 2. there are still way to many people who either dont raise THEIR kids and dont take personal responsibity for yards etc.... city services poor, tax dollars mis-spent or sqaundered (that happens everywhere) etc. etc... until the vast majority of people in cleveland demand that THEIR elected officials do what they promised, the city will continue to struggle.. i love cleveland but im just expressing my realistic opinions. i wish u well because young educated couples are what is eventualy needed to really change cleveland. and it IS HAPPENING however slowly. also (my opinion) a few hip neighborhoods and a few gentrified streets that take ten years to develope wont do it in my lifetime..because in that time another 50 blocks through out the city went into dis-repair ! you need a real plan people of cleveland, and you need real leadership with vision to execute that plan. a goal of ten years to totally turn this city around is attainable , its just a matter of if the PEOPLE of cleveland want and demand it. sorry for the rant.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:09 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MABCle View Post
I completely agree.

Also within the Cleveland municipal district there are some standout schools, some are national Blue ribbon schools and others are magnet schools that require a 3.0 or higher GPA to get in.
Which schools are blue ribbon in Cleveland?

And people who are talking about how the crime isn't bad, etc. Stop talking. It is a serious issue to look at when moving anywhere. I lived in Tremont and I regularly saw drug dealers and random hookers. Not that is was SERIOUSLY bad, but it is something to take into consideration.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:24 PM

181 posts, read 838,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
And people who are talking about how the crime isn't bad, etc. Stop talking.
Moderator cut: personal attack

Nobody is denying that crime exists. But hey, there are houses getting robbed in the richest/whitest suburbs 20 miles outside of the city... There are school shootings at both terrible, inner-city schools and at thought-to-be perfect suburban schools... the list goes on. You can't escape all crime, all you can do is decide whether or not to let the fear rule your life.

The idea that you WILL be a constant victim of some horrific crime if you live in one of these neighborhoods is the exaggerated view so many on these forums seem to have. In fact, there are many people who live in that neighborhood (including quite a few I know) who are yet to be victimized by the rampant crime that goes on there. If you know how to take care of yourself then you can probably live happily in either Tremont or Ohio City.

If you're paranoid about crime and live your life in fear then you have no reason to be there or stay there. The attitude makes a world of difference.

Last edited by Marka; 12-31-2007 at 06:12 AM..

Old 12-30-2007, 07:23 PM

332 posts, read 2,251,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Which schools are blue ribbon in Cleveland?

And people who are talking about how the crime isn't bad, etc. Stop talking. It is a serious issue to look at when moving anywhere. I lived in Tremont and I regularly saw drug dealers and random hookers. Not that is was SERIOUSLY bad, but it is something to take into consideration.
I know Whitney Young Middle School is a blue ribbon school. I'll have to look up the rest.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:01 PM

15 posts, read 87,007 times
Riverside Elementary is also a blue ribbon school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland