Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:57 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"The Bay" huh.. ain't it funny that we don't talk like that over here? You'll never hear me say I'm from "The Delaware Valley" or "Philly" or the "Philly area" because I'm from a place with its own identity and its own significance. No need to pretend when you're your own person and come from a place that its own place.
Huh? Everyone I know from Philadelphia says they're from "Philly". People from Manhattan say they're from "The City", as if Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx aren't "the City". Certain people in the DC area are now calling themselves "The DMV". Hell, residents of Montgomery County, MD frequently refer to their county as "MoCo". People on the East Coast certainly do talk like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 10:58 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Who the hell is bragging?

And no.. sorry. Don't think so. Go ask somebody in one of the many project towers that exist in NY if they think LA or anywhere else on the West Coast is as physically trying to live in.
Go ask somebody who can read to explain my post to you.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:16 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
lol, yet another pm.
I think he wants you to ask him to Prom.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:03 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
Most of these neighborhoods that are dangerous today used to be affluent communities.
There's this, but the other thing is that the houses in the OP's pictures are mutli-family houses, and appear to have been built that way. They are more accurately considered small apartment buildings.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:12 PM

144 posts, read 223,170 times
It's because the "power house cities" change every few years. Back in the 20's, cities like my hometown of Wilkes-Barre & other cities like Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, New Orleans, Buffalo, or Scranton were the big places to be, but due to industry & time changes, things got flipped around & the power houses changed. You'll also notice that in many poor cities with nice houses, you almost always see short skyscrapers, a dead giveaway that the town had a boom many many years ago.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:55 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,426,865 times
Hey guys...you have nothing to do with your respective hometowns. You could die tomorrow and the place would be no different. You have done nothing to make it a better place or contribute to its identity. You probably live in a suburb that is practically identical to suburbs in the West, East, South, and Midwest. The city doesn't know you even exist. You probably didn't even choose to live there, you just so happened to be born in that spot. Your life is probably nearly identical to ten thousand other people living on the other side of the country. Get over your stupid regional pride, you have no reason to be proud of anything.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:03 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Hey guys...you have nothing to do with your respective hometowns. You could die tomorrow and the place would be no different. You have done nothing to make it a better place or contribute to its identity. You probably live in a suburb that is practically identical to suburbs in the West, East, South, and Midwest. The city doesn't know you even exist. You probably didn't even choose to live there, you just so happened to be born in that spot. Your life is probably nearly identical to ten thousand other people living on the other side of the country. Get over your stupid regional pride, you have no reason to be proud of anything.
That is not true at all, some people live in communities it's a place where everyone cares abouteach othr, a couple of years back lost a HS Athlete to cancer, and the majority of the community was sad for the loss of one of us, same thing when we lost someone to suicide last year.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:06 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,426,865 times
That is not at all what I'm talking about and if you can't see that you are blind.

I am talking about the people in these threads beating their chests over "west coast" and "east coast" and this and that, when all they are is teenagers who haven't done a single thing of note in their entire lives, least of all choosing where they live. It's dumb.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:44 PM

144 posts, read 223,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
That is not at all what I'm talking about and if you can't see that you are blind.

I am talking about the people in these threads beating their chests over "west coast" and "east coast" and this and that, when all they are is teenagers who haven't done a single thing of note in their entire lives, least of all choosing where they live. It's dumb.
There are lots of reasons why people have pride in their cities. History, memories, people, attractions...etc. In small cities, people might have lots pride because they feel their city is under-rated. I've moved all over the place & repeatedly ended up back in my home city. It is possible to live the place you live in a siginificant emotional way.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:10 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,393,330 times
well for HP its simple, it was one of the wealthiest cities in Metro Detroit at one point of time. And the pic of the HP home isn't a multi-family btw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City