Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 2nd Busiest Downtown?
Los Angeles 8 3.59%
Chicago 104 46.64%
Dallas 2 0.90%
Philadelphia 24 10.76%
Houston 5 2.24%
Miami 5 2.24%
DC 19 8.52%
Atlanta 3 1.35%
San Francisco 38 17.04%
Boston 11 4.93%
Seattle 4 1.79%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:02 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynlove View Post
Kidphilly-- been to Atlanta?
Yes he has, and he is NOT a fan.

He has described Downtown Atlanta as a suburban office park in the past.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 09:05 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynlove View Post
Kidphilly-- been to Atlanta? I was surprised myself, actually. It's quite busy -- certainly, it gets busier than Boston, but that may also be simply because it's bigger than Boston.

I'm surprised a few people here place Philly above Boston, too. I haven't seen any place in Boston that gets as busy as Center City (Broad Street during the day time, especially).

Agree on Center City - for a CBD it is as busy as much of NYC or Chicago - just not as large (I hear some NYers say it the closest feel to NY in that area and some say even moreso than Chicago (this I disagree on) - though to me even smaller the feel in center city somehow more closely resembles NY even though Chicago is much bigger - especially the neighborhoods around Rittenhouse

And on Atlanta - yes probably 40-50 times; not knocking it but it doesnt have the same feel - especially after business hours - though is getting busier and in-filling quite dramatically over the last 10 years - I actually have really started to like the Midtown area of Atlanta - especially if I had to live there

Boston I do think can be pretty busy - maybe because the downtown is sooo tight and winding; especially the financial district

on DC it is extremely busy and large but the spread seems to diminish it's overall vibe/feel - that may be a function of the limited height (but to me that makes DC unique) but boy that expanse of midrises (if they even qualify on that) is pretty damn impressive

San Fran downtown feels bigger than it really is - very compact - somehow to me always seems like it should have been in CT (jk I know the west coast folks will hate that)

And Seattle was brought up - forgot about that - for it's size packs a pretty good punch though I have only there twice so dont' quite have as good a feel

Old 05-17-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

now now I just said some nice things...

Old 05-17-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

and honestly that comment probably better applies to Houston and Dallas - but they are getting better as well

and i think my quote was actually

"feel like a suburban office park just with faster elevators"

Old 05-17-2010, 09:16 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
San Fran downtown feels bigger than it really is - very compact - somehow to me always seems like it should have been in CT (jk I know the west coast folks will hate that)
Nah, I like CT, but its too cold for us. LOL

San Francisco
SF Financial District(Federal Reserve Bank of SF)

Market and Fifth(Nordstrom)

Geary and Stockton(Louis Vuitton)

Powell and O'Farrell

That weird Free Hugs movement has a very good vid that illustrates SFs street vibrancy.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:20 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
I know it's no Chicago, San Francisco, or Washington DC.

As I stated earlier;

Chicago 2nd

San Francisco with a slight edge for 3rd, with DC following very close behind.

But Miami, even though it's not those cities above, is only 38 square miles! 3rd largest skyline now, 450K people live in Miami in it's 38 square miles now, you can best bet that it has a busy downtown, especially because the metro area is home to what? 5.4 million people, I'm sure a large amount of those people go to downtown for work, people all across the country from every corner of the country have considered investing in a condo or something in Miami in the past. Let's not forget about "simple small Miami" here. That's all I'm saying. I'm surprised Miami is being completely underestimated here. Getting no votes at all, not even from the homers, it deserves way more credit than that.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Nah, I like CT, but its too cold for us. LOL

San Francisco

Well I always thought SF would be the perfect in CT - there is too much distance between and NYC and Boston - the NE losing some cohesion there

Maybe somewhere between New Haven and Providence - then the NE would be perfect!

Old 05-17-2010, 09:21 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
now now I just said some nice things...
I saw that. You have certainly mellowed.

As far as Seattle goes, it punches WAY above its weight in this category. It is still the undisputed shopping mecca for its region, and it shows. Fortunately, the Pugent Sound area was never "over-malled" like so many other metro's. They have the whole package: solid downtown residential base, great shopping, theatres, museums, all the sports arenas/stadiums are there, fantastic public market, clean, safe, etc. Possibly my overall favorite Downtown in the U.S.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I know it's no Chicago, San Francisco, or Washington DC.

As I stated earlier;

Chicago 2nd

San Francisco with a slight edge for 3rd, with DC following very close behind.

But Miami, even though it's not those cities above, is only 38 square miles! 3rd largest skyline now, 450K people live in Miami in it's 38 square miles now, you can best bet that it has a busy downtown. I'm surprised Miami is being completely underestimated here. Getting no votes at all, not even from the homers, it deserves way more credit than that.

Miami is dense but somehow just doesn't feel like a city - or at least in the traditional sense - plus it is too much the playground

Old 05-17-2010, 09:24 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Miami is dense but somehow just doesn't feel like a city - or at least in the traditional sense - plus it is too much the playground
I easily see it ahead of Los Angeles, Houston, Seattle, and Dallas in this aspect. It would be astonishing to see those cities out numbering Miami in votes here, when on the contrary their downtowns lack the vibrancy of Miami's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City