Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 08:20 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLMetro View Post
Winter: Breckinridge
Summer: Florida keys or Hawaii
They want to go somewhere that's cooler during the summer; not one of the hottest places in the country, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 08:48 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times
Hey it snowed in west Miami this year,so I will go further south to beautiful Key West for the winter and any other city than Miami (South Florida) for the summer.

Great time to come to beautiful Miami-Fort Lauderdale for the gala of the Pro Bowl and Super Bowl in back-to- back weeks this coming weekend.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:07 AM

^^But they don't want to be somewhere brutally hot during the summers, so why on earth would you recommend anywhere in Florida. If they're thinking of Maine for the summer, I think that says they don't want heat in the summer.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:13 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
^^But they don't want to be somewhere brutally hot during the summers, so why on earth would you recommend anywhere in Florida. If they're thinking of Maine for the summer, I think that says they don't want heat in the summer.
The Florida Keys are mild year round. Being that they are islands, they get cooling breezes from the Atlantic and the Gulf that keep the humidity low and temps mild. I've been to the keys in the summer, and the temps never made it to the 90s. I woundl't call the keys hot, and they certainly are not "brutally hot". In fact, the highest average high is only 90 one month out of the year.

USA TODAY Latest news

Old 01-28-2010, 11:43 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,603 times
Aspen and Telluride are very expensive but if it's not an issue for you I would choose one of them or Tahoe. All are beautiful, all not so far to travel from San Diego. Plus they have the added bonus of being terrific places to be in the winter too.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
The Florida Keys are mild year round. Being that they are islands, they get cooling breezes from the Atlantic and the Gulf that keep the humidity low and temps mild. I've been to the keys in the summer, and the temps never made it to the 90s. I woundl't call the keys hot, and they certainly are not "brutally hot". In fact, the highest average high is only 90 one month out of the year.

USA TODAY Latest news

Average of 90, so sometimes it can get to 95 in the summer. Their lows are around 80. Not exactly cooling off at the end of the day. If they mentioned places like Colorado, Maine, and Vermont, they most certainly aren't looking for the southernmost point in the US.

Key West weather & climate - Florida Keys weather

Maine's highs in summer are in the mid/upper 70s, lows in the mid 50s:
Maine Weather Forecasts WX Temperatures ME Average Temperatures ME Weather Information (http://www.meliving.com/weather/temperatures.shtml - broken link)

Old 01-28-2010, 12:24 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Average of 90, so sometimes it can get to 95 in the summer. Their lows are around 80. Not exactly cooling off at the end of the day. If they mentioned places like Colorado, Maine, and Vermont, they most certainly aren't looking for the southernmost point in the US.

Maine Weather Forecasts WX Temperatures ME Average Temperatures ME Weather Information (http://www.meliving.com/weather/temperatures.shtml - broken link)
I think most people would agree with you, Rachael. Summer in Florida is just too humid & hot for most people. Summer in LA is also pretty bad except right at the beach. San Diego is nice year-round but summers are also hot & humid just a few miles from the beach.

Now that I think about it, summer in the high mts [Lake Tahoe] or Northwest [Seattle or Portland] would be my first choice. Winter in Florida is great but it is also great in SoCal [though not warm enough to swim in the ocean like you can do in Miami during winter

Old 01-28-2010, 12:31 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,153,927 times
Winter...here in LA...going up to 70 today and tomorrow...upper 40s at night with sunny skies now that the rain is gone.

Summer in Santa Fe...7000' elevation...mountain climate...low to mid 50s at night during summer...75-85 during the day with negligible humidity.

And yea, I'd never pick Key West for the summer...it doesn't cool down so much at night and the humidity is thick.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:34 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Summer: Dallas or Phoenix
Winter: Minneapolis or Chicago

Old 01-28-2010, 12:37 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,070 times
Quote:

Im not saying Florida is cool, and it is not saying its the right place for ctr88's summer home. I disagree with you saying the Florida keys are one of the hottest places in the country because that is certainly NOT true. If you look at record highs for Key West and Portland Maine, you with see it has reached the 100s in Maine with 95 being a record high for the Keys. Have you ever been the the Keys?

USA TODAY Latest news
Travelers guide to climate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City