Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 06:01 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I agree that Atlanta has become a black mecca, but to say that it's because the southeast is where the most black people live (btw aren't the majority of blacks in Mississippi and Louisiana)? Be real. Atlanta is a black mecca because it is constantly advertised in the black community as such. One thing that Georgia/Atlanta does a good job at is promoting themselves. Whenever something on t.v. that's filmed in Georgia goes off they have that big Georgia peach logo after the credits. Mainstream media always portrays Atlanta in black music, television, and movies. To an extent it's almost as if Atlanta is forced down your throat.
Atlanta is constantly sold as the city that the black man/woman can go and be successful, where the African American can achieve it whatever they aspire. Eventually it will become oversaturated if it already isn't.

As far as being an education center, Atlanta is well known for it's HBCU's but the "grandeur" of these especially CAU and MB are regionalized just like any other HBCU. Spelman and Morehouse get more recognition, but many of the students who were sold on the ideology of becoming a "Morehouse Man" at one time have been replaced by kids who saw movies like "Drumline", "ATL", and " Stomp the Yard" and got caught up in the hype.

If other cities were marketed to the same effect, they would have similar growth patterns.
I agree with this alot. Atlanta's media and advertisement is PROPOGANDA to the T! Atlanta's media and hype always get blacks to come here thinking that they will do well. Like I said in another previous post in another thread, blacks are the people that are more unhappy than any other race in Atlanta. I'm black! We get to watching Frankie and Neffie and Keyshia Cole: The Way It Is and start packing up our belongings to move to Atlanta thinking that we will get some of the success. When we finally get there, we are disapointment with the difficulty of getting a job, the "boringness" of the area, and the traffic. And the only reason we can't leave is because we have little money to move anywhere else. I think Atlanta is doing great with trying to attract people, but it's advertisement is too overwhelming because most of the media on BET is taped in Atlanta. Give Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, even Birmingham a chance to be in the spotlight so that these cities can become "black meccas!" On the other hand, Dallas isn't doing great with trying to lure African Americans. It tends to get jealous with Atlanta because Atlanta has alot of blacks. Dallas would be soooooooooooooo diverse if it could promise definite success for blacks! 900,000 blacks in the whole metro is a little bit more than half of Metro Atlanta's black population. Dallas needs a lot of work if it wants to have blacks like Atlanta. Both cities are great, but they lack what each other wants from one another. Dallas wants the blacks, while Atlanta wants the economy and even the shopping.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:41 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I agree with this alot. Atlanta's media and advertisement is PROPOGANDA to the T! Atlanta's media and hype always get blacks to come here thinking that they will do well. Like I said in another previous post in another thread, blacks are the people that are more unhappy than any other race in Atlanta. I'm black! We get to watching Frankie and Neffie and Keyshia Cole: The Way It Is and start packing up our belongings to move to Atlanta thinking that we will get some of the success. When we finally get there, we are disapointment with the difficulty of getting a job, the "boringness" of the area, and the traffic. And the only reason we can't leave is because we have little money to move anywhere else. I think Atlanta is doing great with trying to attract people, but it's advertisement is too overwhelming because most of the media on BET is taped in Atlanta. Give Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, even Birmingham a chance to be in the spotlight so that these cities can become "black meccas!" On the other hand, Dallas isn't doing great with trying to lure African Americans. It tends to get jealous with Atlanta because Atlanta has alot of blacks. Dallas would be soooooooooooooo diverse if it could promise definite success for blacks! 900,000 blacks in the whole metro is a little bit more than half of Metro Atlanta's black population. Dallas needs a lot of work if it wants to have blacks like Atlanta. Both cities are great, but they lack what each other wants from one another. Dallas wants the blacks, while Atlanta wants the economy and even the shopping.
900,000 blacks is quite alot. This isn't even including the areas surround the metroplex which lots of blacks come in from to visit. Dallas is located not too far from East Texas.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:43 AM

631 posts, read 1,228,348 times
Quote:
I think we have enough shopping options and more come so we will be fine

Old 12-16-2009, 07:17 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Dallas would be soooooooooooooo diverse if it could promise definite success for blacks! 900,000 blacks in the whole metro is a little bit more than half of Metro Atlanta's black population. Dallas needs a lot of work if it wants to have blacks like Atlanta. Both cities are great, but they lack what each other wants from one another. Dallas wants the blacks, while Atlanta wants the economy and even the shopping.
I dont know if thats really that true. Does Atlanta want the Hispanics we have? Metro Atlanta less than 1/3 of the Hispanics DFW has.

I think both areas just want people regardless.

1/3 of Metro Atlanta is black while (almost) 1/3 of DFW is Hispanic.

Here is the demographic breakdown for both metro areas as of 2008:

Non-Hispanic White:
Atlanta: 2,856,000
DFW: 3,275,000

African-American:
Atlanta: 1,675,000
DFW: 867,000

Hispanic:
Atlanta: 517,000
DFW: 1,733,000

Asian:
Atlanta: 224,000
DFW: 300,000

Asians broken down:

Korean:
Atlanta: 44,000
DFW: 30,000

Vietnamese:
Atlanta: 34,000
DFW: 70,000

Indian:
Atlanta: 69,000
DFW: 81,000

Chinese:
Atlanta: 35,000
DFW: 42,000

Filipino:
Atlanta: 9,000
DFW: 22,000

Japanese:
Atlanta: 4,500
DFW: 6,000

Other Asians:
Atlanta: 30,000
DFW: 53,000 (I think most of these are Khmer and Lao)

Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2008

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2008

Old 12-16-2009, 08:33 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I dont know if thats really that true. Does Atlanta want the Hispanics we have? Metro Atlanta less than 1/3 of the Hispanics DFW has.

I think both areas just want people regardless.

1/3 of Metro Atlanta is black while (almost) 1/3 of DFW is Hispanic.

Here is the demographic breakdown for both metro areas as of 2008:

Non-Hispanic White:
Atlanta: 2,856,000
DFW: 3,275,000

African-American:
Atlanta: 1,675,000
DFW: 867,000

Hispanic:
Atlanta: 517,000
DFW: 1,733,000

Asian:
Atlanta: 224,000
DFW: 300,000

Asians broken down:

Korean:
Atlanta: 44,000
DFW: 30,000

Vietnamese:
Atlanta: 34,000
DFW: 70,000

Indian:
Atlanta: 69,000
DFW: 81,000

Chinese:
Atlanta: 35,000
DFW: 42,000

Filipino:
Atlanta: 9,000
DFW: 22,000

Japanese:
Atlanta: 4,500
DFW: 6,000

Other Asians:
Atlanta: 30,000
DFW: 53,000 (I think most of these are Khmer and Lao)

Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2008

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2008

DFW african American population is around 900,000 I am not sure where you got your stats from. I am not sure if that survey is plausible if at all accurate. I asked my mother and grandmother has the census ever came to her door. They both replied nope...No secret minorties are under counted in census. DFW could easily already be at 1 million african americans for all we know. The Census can be taking with a grain of salt because every american is not counted.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:49 AM

475 posts, read 685,060 times
Quote:
Like I said in another previous post in another thread, blacks are the people that are more unhappy than any other race in Atlanta. I'm black! We get to watching Frankie and Neffie and Keyshia Cole: The Way It Is and start packing up our belongings to move to Atlanta thinking that we will get some of the success. When we finally get there, we are disapointment with the difficulty of getting a job, the "boringness" of the area, and the traffic. And the only reason we can't leave is because we have little money to move anywhere else.
I live in Atlanta and my "black" experience has been quite the opposite. The same is true for the great majority of people I know. Then again, I didn't move based on BET's Frankie and Neffie and Keshia Cole, nor did any of my friends. That kind of says a mouthful on its own.

It has been everything it was hyped to be. Those who are unhappy, I FIND, did not have the background, tools set, network, ambition and drive to make Atlanta happen for them. Atlanta does not put success in your lap, Atlanta does not find a job for you, Atlanta won't make you go to networking jazz sessions at the High Museum instead of (or in addition to) choosing to party at Velvet Room. Atlanta won't stop you from trying to buy a $200K house and "the Benz" on a mid-level salary because you want to "look the part" before it's time.

When you have the combination and concentration of black upper/upper-middle class establishment that is willing to reach back to the next generation, the largest number of black college alumni in the world, the largest alumni chapters of NPHC fraternities and sororities, solid and long-existing churches and communities, historic districts (MLK), libraries and african-american oriented museums, business owners, urban arts festivals, one of the top two counties in the NATION for black money/wealth, the largest a-a university consortium in the nation, (and when I arrived) the ability to see other people of color as Fire Chief, School Superintendent, Mayor, etc., you might have something of a mecca. It's definitely not a scene found in Every City, USA.

It's different if you come to Atlanta and bring something, instead of expecting something. The "black mecca" thing is not going to mean YOU'RE going to make it, but it's certainly more than hype.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
DFW african American population is around 900,000 I am not sure where you got your stats from. I am not sure if that survey is plausible if at all accurate. I asked my mother and grandmother has the census ever came to her door. They both replied nope...No secret minorties are under counted in census. DFW could easily already be at 1 million african americans for all we know. The Census can be taking with a grain of salt because every american is not counted.
Youre not sure if its accurate? Dude, its from the American Community Survey. Its the most reliable source in existance on year to year data.

Your not sure where I got my stats from? The links are right below the numbers.

If youre really interested, here is their methodology:

http://www.census.gov/acs/www/Downloads/ACS/accuracy2008.pdf (broken link)

There isnt one other source thats going to be more accurate than this. This is the official word. These are the 2008 estimates.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:54 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Exactly. 900,000 is not a small number at all and it's still growing. Dallas has a huge influence over the black communties scattered around Central and East Texas. Big T Bazaar's, Grambling Game, State Fair ,Potter House, and more all play a huge rule in the Black community in Texas.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:05 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Youre not sure if its accurate? Dude, its from the American Community Survey. Its the most reliable source in existance on year to year data.

Your not sure where I got my stats from? The links are right below the numbers.

If youre really interested, here is their methodology:

http://www.census.gov/acs/www/Downloads/ACS/accuracy2008.pdf (broken link)

There isnt one other source thats going to be more accurate than this. This is the official word. These are the 2008 estimates.
So between 2007 and 2008 DFW lost 50,000 african american residents and DFW would not beware of this? There would be articles out stating DFW metro area black population on decline. Like I said before that survey did a undercount somewhere. Now if the 2010 census census states DFW black population is 950,000 than would you say the data was not accurate. Many minorities don't answer the census truthfully because of the distrust with the goverment. We really want know much until the 2010 census comes out. I am pretty sure there will be some big suprises when the data is released.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
So between 2007 and 2008 DFW lost 50,000 african american residents and DFW would not beware of this? There would be articles out stating DFW metro area black population on decline.
Where did you get that from? DFW didnt lose 50,000 Black residents in that time frame.

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...ame=&-_lang=en

According to this DFW's Non-Hispanic African-American population was:

In 2006: 834,847
In 2007: 854,083
In 2008: 869,870

If you want to look at all African-Americans including the hispanic ones:

In 2006: 846,859
In 2007: 866,372
In 2008: 876,173

Not sure where you came up with the 50,000 loss. They have gained about 35,000 new black residents in that time frame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City