Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 08:01 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
Well for people yes, but I was wondering about number of planes.

After all DFW does top Hartsfield-Jackson for cargo. I guess what I was wondering may fall under the "movement" category.
Hmm, I can't find a link, but if you extrapolate out that Hartsfield-Jackson has almost 30 million more passengers a year than both of Dallas' airports combined that translates into "a whole buncha' planes".

Old 12-15-2009, 08:02 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
That's an admirable goal, but there is a reason that Atlanta has the most African-American domestic immigrants in the country. Aside from people who wax on about how "Atlanta is just hype", if you dig deeper you'll realize how foolhardy and uninformed such comment is.

Being the "Black Mecca" goes beyond pure economics. Consider the two previous Meccas: Chicago and New York City. In the early 20th century they were the number spot for upwardly mobile African-Americans for not just jobs, but also political and cultural reasons.

But after the 1960s when most of the black political machines were too old or died off, that power center shifted to Atlanta and D.C. Particularly Atlanta since it was the center of the Civil Rights Movement. When the manufacturing jobs started leaving the Northeast, African Americans left just like everyone else did looking for greener pastures. Added in with that was the fact that there was a burgeoning visual and performing arts scene for African-Americans.

I'm not saying Dallas is bad city or that it can't be attractive African-Americans, but if you wish to see a massive influx of African-Americans to Dallas there has to be more reasons than just "the economy is really good here".
Actually it shows how misinformed you are; Houston and Dallas have historical been known as places for successful blacks and this isn't a recent phenomenon. It's hype because black have been flocking to Dallas for a long time but the media overlooked Texas cities and focused more on places like Chicago and Atlanta. Blacks have been part of Texas's history since the 1800s; the African American movement in Dallas isn't something that just happened.

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 12-15-2009 at 08:14 PM..

Old 12-15-2009, 08:04 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,765,968 times
Can we talk about something else!

Example: Who has better shopping!

Old 12-15-2009, 08:09 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times
Dallas has the best shopping. This area gets the most shopping centers I've ever seen any city get.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:10 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,844,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
That's an admirable goal, but there is a reason that Atlanta has the most African-American domestic immigrants in the country. Aside from people who wax on about how "Atlanta is just hype", if you dig deeper you'll realize how foolhardy and uninformed such comment is.

Being the "Black Mecca" goes beyond pure economics. Consider the two previous Meccas: Chicago and New York City. In the early 20th century they were the number spot for upwardly mobile African-Americans for not just jobs, but also political and cultural reasons.

But after the 1960s when most of the black political machines were too old or died off, that power center shifted to Atlanta and D.C. Particularly Atlanta since it was the center of the Civil Rights Movement. When the manufacturing jobs started leaving the Northeast, African Americans left just like everyone else did looking for greener pastures. Added in with that was the fact that there was a burgeoning visual and performing arts scene for African-Americans.

I'm not saying Dallas is bad city or that it can't be attractive African-Americans, but if you wish to see a massive influx of African-Americans to Dallas there has to be more reasons than just "the economy is really good here".
You basically just implied and than you said it. Dallas from 1995-2000 was second in the country in migration of black americans. So please don't for one second think Dallas is not an attractive place for African Americans. Black media is a huge part of the influx of African Ameicans into Atlanta based more on hype than reality. Like I mention and a previous poster mention there are plenty of metro areas that are just as attractive as Atlanta for African Americans. Atlanta is no black mecca and there has never been a black mecca in America. Just for the record Birmingham and the state of Alabama was the center of the civil rights movement.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Dallas has the best shopping. This area gets the most shopping centers I've ever seen any city get.
That's true! The best shopping center in Dallas is Northpark Center!

Old 12-15-2009, 08:13 PM

Dallas wins hands down on this one. There large shopping centers within subdivisions! SWEET! LOL!

Old 12-15-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Dallas wins hands down on this one. There large shopping centers within subdivisions! SWEET! LOL!
I think Dallas-Fort Worth are building too many shopping centers! Example: Park Lane, Uptown Village at Cedar Hill, and the list goes on and on!

Old 12-15-2009, 08:22 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,844,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
I think Dallas-Fort Worth are building too many shopping centers! Example: Park Lane, Uptown Village at Cedar Hill, and the list goes on and on!
They do need a mall in North Fort Worth with all the growth.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:23 PM

Maybe all these shopping centers can help lure more blacks because we blacks love to shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City