Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 03:48 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times

Advertisements

Which city is better when it comes to things to do, culture, affordablity, jobs, and good lifestyle?

Old 12-14-2009, 04:59 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,759,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Which city is better when it comes to things to do, culture, affordablity, jobs, and good lifestyle?
Duh?!? Dallas

Old 12-14-2009, 05:20 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Well I wrote this in another thread that was closed, but Ill post it again:

These cities are actually more alike than different. For the sake of everything, I will compare not just the cities but the areas:

Dallas is doing alot better economically and is projected to do so for at least the next 5 years. Dallas is a magnent for hispanic immigrants coming from Central America and to a lesser degree from India and Asia. Dallas is the city de' jour for Indian and Pakistani immigrants. Dallas is a center for Hispanic culture. 80% of Dallas' growth is Hispanic.

Atlanta is a prettier city. It has alot more to offer the outdoorman. It is a haven for African-Americans and the center of African-American and southern culture. Atlanta is the city de' jour for South Korean immigrants. Atlanta sprawls more than Dallas does. Atlanta attracts more people from other parts of the United States than Dallas does, but Dallas attracts more people from other countries.

Both cities offer an amazing nightlife for all kinds or people, resturants to suit every pallet, large gay communities, and are lots of fun.

My personal preference is Dallas, but I can see why lots of people love Atlanta.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:32 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Dallas sprawls more than Atlanta, I thought?

Old 12-14-2009, 07:01 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Dallas sprawls more than Atlanta, I thought?
It depends on what measure you use.

If you're talking about the city proper, then Atlanta (131 sq miles) is smaller than Dallas (345 sq miles). If you are talking urban areas then Atlanta (1926 sq miles) is bigger than Dallas (1407 sq miles). If you're talking CSAs then Dallas (9286 sq miles) is bigger than Atlanta (8376 sq miles).

I agree with everything that Lanative posted except for the sprawl bit. Both cities (along with all the other top 10 big cities) sprawl pretty bad.

With that said, Atlanta and Dallas are basically cousin cities when it comes to amenities. The only big difference between the two is the cultures which has already been stated.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:11 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
I've lived in Atlanta and Dallas:

1)Atlanta definitely sprawls more than Dallas.
2)Dallas has a better quality of life (less bums on the street, more cultural amenities, more investment in infrastructure)
3)Atlanta has more trees and such but I think that feature makes Atlanta feel like a smaller city than it is. When you drive down 75 from Cobb you drive through a lot of areas that feel like driving through the woods.
4)Dallas feels like a much safer city to walk around and do things at night.
5)Dallas is a lot more proactive on rail transit and freeway expansion.
6)Atlanta has a much more obvious racial element.
7)Dallas is on a grid street system, very easy to navigate and traffic is not nearly as bad as Atlanta because of this.
8)Dallas has no smoking in bars! that is a huge plus!

* I dont hate Atlanta at all but Dallas is definitely the better choice if the things above are important to you as they are to me.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
5)Dallas is a lot more proactive on rail transit and freeway expansion.
This claim is always an odd one for me when people say this. Atlanta already has a subway system and started building it in the 70s. I understand DART is doing big things, but Atlanta isn't exactly sitting on its laurels. We're about to start construction on a (at least) 45 station LRT and three streetcar lines. Depending on who becomes Governor next year, we'll have commuter heavy rail too.

I don't disagree about highway expansion. That's one honor Dallas can keep.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:22 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,759,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
This claim is always an odd one for me when people say this. Atlanta already has a subway system and started building it in the 70s. I understand DART is doing big things, but Atlanta isn't exactly sitting on its laurels. We're about to start construction on a (at least) 45 station LRT and three streetcar lines. Depending on who becomes Governor next year, we'll have commuter heavy rail too.

There are new freeway expansions around the Downtown Dallas area! Dallas-Fort Worth freeway system keeps on growing!

Old 12-14-2009, 07:37 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

The Beltline and Lovejoy commuter line are great plans but no one in Georgia can seem to agree on anything which is very annoying. I guess my point was that in Dallas, they plan, they fund, they build. In Atlanta, they plan, they argue, they change the plan, they put the plan on hold, they re-plan, they try to fund, etc etc

Old 12-14-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
The Beltline and Lovejoy commuter line are great plans but no one in Georgia can seem to agree on anything which is very annoying. I guess my point was that in Dallas, they plan, they fund, they build. In Atlanta, they plan, they argue, they change the plan, they put the plan on hold, they re-plan, they try to fund, etc etc
The Beltine broke ground this week. The Streetcar lines have been submitted to the feds for funding, and if the monies come through, will be built next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City