Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 06:38 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
It seems like an okay list to me. Nothing really surprising.

In spite of its flaws and the hate that it gets on this board, there will always be someone in the Midwest or Northeast shoveling snow out of their driveway who dreams of moving to Florida.

Also, as a native San Diegan who lives in Atlanta, I'm quite shocked and insulted at how some posters are knocking the city. Yes, it IS expensive, and the pay sucks there (compared to other California cities), but there is just something about that place I just can't shake, even though I haven't lived there in years.

I'm not surprised to see Denver on the list either. It's a popular place to relocated, particularly from West Coasters, and there are quite a few former Georgians who have made that move to the mile-high city. I don't understand why people seem to be so shocked by that. Not everyone is in love with the Sunbelt, just as not everyone is not going to be in love with NYC.

I've been here in Atlanta for the past 3 years and in general, I like the place, but I can totally understand why someone else could be here and absolutely hate it. Different strokes for different folks. Not everything is for everyone.
I agree,different strokes...I hope i did not insult you.I was only defending why it was not the FIRST CHOICE for me after some one said something bad about Atlanta.I still stand by what I said because it is an opinion only.(that is San Diego is bland but really beautiful).I mean really,who cannot POSSIBLY SEE why no one could at least find enough positive things to move to S-D or ATL or any place(not Camden,N.J.)
People on this site hype of their cities but get offended if you give and OPINION as to what you may like MORE in other cities.I love Atlanta,but there are reasons i sometimes hate it.Those SAME reasons may be manageable for me,but for OTHERS those same things are glaringly horrendous and they would NEVER move or even visit Atlanta because of those reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 06:54 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
The fastest growing MSA's numerically since 2000 are:

Dallas/Fort Worth- 1.3 million
Atlanta- 1.15 million
Phoenix- 1.08 million
Houston- Just over one million
Wow to grow by a million people in less than 10 years!

These areas have my greatest sympathy. It seems we keep overdeveloping and ruining one area of the country after another.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Wow to grow by a million people in less than 10 years!

These areas have my greatest sympathy. It seems we keep overdeveloping and ruining one area of the country after another.
So I guess NYC,Philly,L.A.,London,San Francisco,Paris are all "ruined too"?I'm sure they are all glad to have your concerns.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:07 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
So I guess NYC,Philly,L.A.,London,San Francisco,Paris are all "ruined too"?I'm sure they are all glad to have your concerns.
Well Paris is better developed and planned than most US cities. We only have spotty planning here and there and mostly develop our cities based on greed. Later on we have to play catch up.

Anyways please use ....... between sentences.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Well Paris is better developed and planned than most US cities. We only have spotty planning here and there and mostly develop our cities based on greed. Later on we have to play catch up.

Anyways please use ....... between sentences.
Greed?................................................. ............................................So the land of Monarchs and Religious heads were not forgreed?You know as well as I,that those cities developed over time.Only the English cities were often planned out for longevity.The cities of today in some cases as little as 50 years or more will have in-fill to the point where great cities of TOMORROW will be disliked as much as some of these newer cities are today.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:34 PM

407 posts, read 388,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Wow, if you listen to these forums, you would have thought nobody would want to live in Florida. I guess the reality is different

Go Texas as well
For the sixth year in a row, California tops the list of states that Americans would choose to live in if they did not live in the states where they are now.

Maybe there is a difference in how people perceive a place after they live there. This would explain lots of people moving to Florida, then complaining on the boards about how terrible it is and/or how they want to go back to where they came from.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:50 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbrown View Post
For the sixth year in a row, California tops the list of states that Americans would choose to live in if they did not live in the states where they are now.

Maybe there is a difference in how people perceive a place after they live there. This would explain lots of people moving to Florida, then complaining on the boards about how terrible it is and/or how they want to go back to where they came from.
You hit the nail right on the head! . I live here....house equity has dropped dramatically as prices have plummeted to less than half the value of just a few years ago...yet taxes went up.

Florida's growth, economy and "way of life" is basically a large "Ponzi" scheme and it has run out of new people to fleece. IMHO.

There are many houses on each street for sale and many not yet on the market because now is not the time to sell...if you can hold on long enough. Also in Sarasota, it's downtown has been one third empty in the twenty years I have lived here; now I would estimate it is more than half empty(stores and offices etc.).

There will however always be people who prefer the warmth...but they are usually wealthy and can escape the 8 or so months of relentless heat and humidity by living in their second or third house; a luxury few Americans can afford.

Like you said, the perception of Florida is NOT the reality of Florida!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City