Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has the most overrated skyline?
New York City 44 10.14%
Los Angeles 78 17.97%
Chicago 22 5.07%
Houston 78 17.97%
Philadelphia 34 7.83%
Boston 39 8.99%
Seattle 32 7.37%
San Francisco 35 8.06%
Dallas 38 8.76%
Other (specify on thread) 34 7.83%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 11:37 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
No way dude, not with the way the whole world is going.

When the Empire State Building was being built, it reigned supreme because the ONLY competition New York City ever had for majority of its existence was Chicago. The two cities traded spots back and forth in terms of height. With New York City keeping the spot longer than Chicago ever had. Something Chicago invented, New York popularized it, they had a very brotherly relationship, and always tried to out do one another. The difference now is that its not regional anymore.

Wait scratch that it was never regional, it was always about New York City & Chicago, now its about the world. Even London is playing hardball with its skyline now and improving it drastically.
Everyone in the world is moving towards urbanization, majority of the worlds population will live in cities soon enough and that would lead a need for taller and larger. Dubai holds the record now, but there have been so many planned that was even supposed to surpass Burj Khalifa. There was the Burj Al Alam planned back in 2007, unfortunately due to the economic crash it was canceled that was meant to be a whopping 2000 METERS tall, and would have been called "the Mile High Building". The fact that projects get brought up like that, means that there is always an aspiration to build larger, and to build taller. What started off as a New York City vs Chicago thing back in 1885 has become a global competition.

Every decade Chicago has always introduced plans for the next worlds tallest building, it does that every decade. New York City builds supertalls for the hell of it, and doesn't necessarily go for a title it goes for a message. Like Freedom Tower is 1776 feet tall, the year of the independence. Its a message, an American message. New York goes for the message, and Chicago goes for the title, that has always been the difference between the two. New York went for history, something it can leave in the books forever. Chicago always went for the power of being the tallest. I have no doubts that both will continue to add taller, these two cities are the only ones throughout history despite any economic condition have ALWAYS added taller to their skyline.

I really do follow through with skyscrapers a lot, in fact some of the most popular forums for it, I helped design one for my friend Dylan with the info. We did a cruddy job since it hasn't been updated in forever. But in general, there will always be an inspiration to build taller, with the way the world is now, Burj Khalifa wont ever hold the record for anywhere close to even a fraction of how long the Empire State Building did.
I dunno, I would hope that the US would build something super tall. But the BK whopper is sooooooo much taller than anything else. I just don't know. Even Dubai ran out of money building that thing. b4 the final height was released I was hoping that the Freedom tower would be taller than the BK, but not even close I think if something is gonna get built that is taller than the BK, it is gonna be in the east not in the west

Old 09-22-2010, 11:43 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
Absolutely Stunning pictures! The black and white Chicago and color Houston, wow.
yeah, they are all stunning. The US has fantastic cities at all points of the compass

Old 09-23-2010, 04:54 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,018 times
Quote:

....just something really EPIC about that one. Nice

Old 09-23-2010, 07:52 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times
Im sorry Danny but the USA is not outdoing the Burj. Simply because we're smarter than that, this is the country where the skyscraper was created we know what we're doing. The burj will end up being the biggest joke in skyscraper history. A big ass tower almost completely vacant with no historical or cultural value

I couldnt imagine anything like that in new york or chicago. What americas two scraper city's should do is add tons of 1000 footers both commercial and residential

Old 09-23-2010, 07:56 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Im sorry Danny but the USA is not outdoing the Burj. Simply because we're smarter than that, this is the country where the skyscraper was created we know what we're doing. The burj will end up being the biggest joke in skyscraper history. A big ass tower almost completely vacant with no historical or cultural value

I couldnt imagine anything like that in new york or chicago. What americas two scraper city's should do is add tons of 1000 footers both commercial and residential
Oh no I didn't mean the USA will out do it. What I meant to say was that what started off as a American thing, the build taller and to build more, become a global thing. I know for a fact the Chinese have the money and they have the technology and innovation to surpass the Burj Khalifa. And they'll probably get started on that this decade itself. Especially since their cities have to resort to building up due to overcrowding.

Dubai is an example of a city that thought it can create itself. Its density is lower than Dallas's city wise. And it literally became a city out of no where, it just popped up out of no where. Its pretty much done with its rapid building boom days, its economy looks worse than ours.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:34 PM

6 posts, read 9,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
Obviously I'm getting my kicks posting pics of Houston but I'm wondering how old is this pic? Is that Main Place being built where the cranes are? Upon further review there are several towers missing near Minute Made Park on the left. I wish we could find an up to date view. BTW I love this shot.
That is actually The Cheveron Town formerly know as the Enron tower being built in this picture! So this is not late 2009 this is more like late 90's/early 2000's

Old 09-25-2010, 03:52 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
WTF dude...I'm not sure...are you and West 336 the same person? or do you just like hearing yourself talk (?), because you responded to a post that really had nothing to do with you (twice now). I WAS responding initially to someone else's post and you still feel the need to chime in again, and again, and again. If you believe that Phoenix's skyline really sucks, then by all means, go scream it out of your car window or go whisper it to your best friend's ear, but I'm done talking with you.
Phoenix just doesn't have a good skyline. And it's deceiving because Phoenix has 1.6 million people. So when one looks at the skyline, chances are they have been deceived, because it looks like a skyline that a city with 200,000 people might have.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:54 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
All these pictures are neat and all, but what's it have to do with the thread?

Chicago's and NYC skylines are legit, they certainly aren't deceiving. Ya'll need to study your Webster's and realize this isn't a "Best Skyline" thread. I should have known better. All skyline threads inevitably turn into a NYC, Chicago, Houston (not sure why), SF pissing contest

Old 09-25-2010, 06:03 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,771 times
Quote:
Yeah thats Mainplace getting built. So your picture must be late 2008, to early 2009.

New York City:

Chicago:

Houston:

San Francisco:
could someone tell me why Houston got the most votes? what the heck are you guys thinking? either you're smokey smokey or you haven't visited houston.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:07 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
could someone tell me why Houston got the most votes? what the heck are you guys thinking? either you're smokey smokey or you haven't visited houston.

Honestly I think Houston is decieiving, probably because of the spread and multi skylines - to many I think it diminishes the wow factor; why it appears less large than the stats would bear. And yes I have been many times but this is why it is deceiving in appearance relative to stats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City