Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do You Prefer?
San Francisco. 264 55.81%
Philadelphia. 158 33.40%
Too close to call. 38 8.03%
I don't like either city. 13 2.75%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 11:44 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I have! And I find it very odd too. It seems that most of those who focus on it are usually doing so to try and bash CA. I don't recall ever meeting anyone who was afraid to move or visit here out of fear of earthquakes. You could count on one hand the number of CA earthquakes that have had any significant destruction in the last 50 years. Can't say the same about hurricanes or tornadoes (or for that matter wildfires).
Convoluted logic; very predictable...in most threads.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Seriously, the passive-aggressive thing is getting really old. If you've got issues with SF (which you obviously do) then just come out and say what you need to say. I thought you East Coasters were supposed to be so "real" and "up front" unlike us plastic Californians. Let's cut the crap, shall we?

I know it serves as a security blanket for NE folks to remind everyone that their region has a population that exceeds CA, but you're just being ridiculous here. The Bay Area is SF's metro region. NYC has its own, and Philly has its own. Both those cities developed in the same time period and bled into each other; the same cannot be said of the Bay Area. SF was the main hub back in the day, and then the rest of this region developed over time. Your need to find ways to be the winner here in every little aspect is pathetic. And don't try and pretend like that's not what you're doing here indirectly.

And you know what, Philly has a reputation as a great city. I have a good friend who moved there as a kid and returned to SF when he became an adult and had a choice. He still is an Eagles fan, but he lives in SJ and has no interest in leaving CA.
You're the Board Authority on that subject!

Old 08-26-2009, 11:46 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post

Again, Rainrock, please describe why this (the half circle around the bay) should be considered 2 metro areas. Where would you draw the line?:
For the same reason NYC/NJ/ Philadlephia will never be in the the same MSA(CMSA eventually very likely ). SF + SJ growth was independent which is a no-no for MSA designation.San Jose is too large to be enveloped into SF's MSA. You can only have one urban core per msa.The msa is a measurement of direct integration of a core city with its immediate urban offspring. SF is not directly responsible for SJ's growth and maturation.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxrasputin View Post
Can someone explain why anyone should consider CMSAs relevant?

Philadelphia's metro and NYC's metro literally border each other. Philadelphia city limits are only about 12 miles from Trenton. In addition, Philadelphia city limits are about 40 miles from NYC limits. Though these two metros literally blend together, I'm not trying to make some lame claim of importance because of how massive an urban population these metros have when combined.

The Poconos in Pennsylvania are about 60 miles from NYC limits, yet it is included in the NYC CMSA even with large rural areas in between the two regions. This example shows that CMSAs include far outlying communities that have nothing in common with the major city itself. I don't really see the relevance in talking about commuting patterns when discussing which city is better or more interesting, larger etc. - And commuting patterns are what largely define CMSAs.
READ THE OPENING POST....Parameters are usually set there.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:51 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
READ THE OPENING POST....Parameters are usually set there.
You're kind of a one trick pony arent you?

Old 08-26-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Oh I know exactly what you mean! I just wish us SF residents had the class and humility of some of you East Coasters! Like these guys:

No self-adulation to found here!

Who specifically on this thread from SF was "loathsome" by being so self-complementary?? And seek help for your rock addiction if you for even one second are entertaining the idea that self-adulation is not 5 times as rampant in the NE than it is in SF. Talk about making people want to puke! How else in the world do you think anyone could possibly not have interest in NYC? Browse some of these threads and see how humble your brethren are and how well they are received by the masses when they act that way. I guarantee you there are exponentially more NE residents/promoters on this site that beat their chests and go on for days about how great they are than there are SF/Bay Area residents who even remotely do the same.
AS my dad would say...you're full of canal water.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Philly over SF all day long!

Old 08-26-2009, 11:55 PM

199 posts, read 220,087 times
this post pretty much refutes pitts retarded ass claims.
he's basically dragging this on because of the whoring philadelphia took on the polls and he's turned into some kind of laxative designed to annoy the sh.it out of you with his ignorant stubbornness

no response to my post, especially when i used a link YOU provided to refute ur claim = you lose. thanks for playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngchampion View Post

here is one of YOUR posts

as one poster told you (who you purposely ignored), click on #13 on that page

you get this page
San Francisco Bay Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and if you're still lazy and want to pretend that link doesn't exist, here is the page

All from a link YOU posted. read the stuff inside the red box, and look at the image to the left.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
DC sucks! All day and all night!
Do You spend time there??/JUST ASKING?

Old 08-26-2009, 11:56 PM

199 posts, read 220,087 times
for good measure

San Francisco Bay Area Vision Project

but no, some freak from "saratosa" knows more. get off the internet and go to sleep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City