Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do You Prefer?
San Francisco. 264 55.81%
Philadelphia. 158 33.40%
Too close to call. 38 8.03%
I don't like either city. 13 2.75%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:44 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times

Advertisements

two are great cities, but my goes to Philadelphia. I do not know why people would vote for SF but yeah Philly wins this one.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:12 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
No, we don't understand because its nowhere near the same. The level of urbanity and development is not nearly as consistant between Philly and NYC as it is between San Jose and San Francisco or between Oakland and San Jose. The latter 2 are wall-to-wall development, and there are much stronger commute patterns, shared media, etc. etc.
SJ and SF are distinct MSA's. NYC and Philly are distinct MSA's. My guess is there is more integration between NYC metro and Phillys metro than there is between SJ and SF based on the fact that there are 4x as many people living in NYC/PHilly than SJ/SF. There are an estimated 1.5 M people commuting between NYC and Philly just using Amtrak, thats an enormous amount of rail commuters between 2 cities.That doesnt take into effect NJ Transit, Bus Lines, planes, 2 hr car trip up the turnpike.

Here is an excerpt from the NY SUN discussing the NYC/Philly bond. Although I dont agree with the "Sixth Borough" title at all.

New Amtrak Service Could Boost ‘the Sixth Borough'

By ANNIE KARNI, Special to the Sun | April 20, 2007

Amtrak is planning to roll out new service on its much-maligned and often-delayed Acela route this July, providing nonstop service between New York and Philadelphia for the first time. The new route would also provide nonstop service to Washington from Philadelphia.

Cutting three New Jersey stops from the trip and shaving down commute times between New York and Philadelphia to about an hour could help solidify the "sixth borough" status of the City of Brotherly Love, real estate brokers and developers said.

About 1.5 million passengers a year use Amtrak to commute between New York and Philadelphia on a regular basis, and the number is growing, particularly among people in their 20s and 30s seeking more affordable housing, real estate brokers said. Amtrak expects the new line to boost its business clientele, a spokesman said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm
]There is no reason SF and SJ should not be in the same MSA.
You have to understand what the definition of the MSA entitles. The MSA is based on a single core region and the ensuing direct growth and integration surrounding that core area. SF and SJ were independent singular core areas that eventually merged. Hence the fairly recent CMSA classification. SF and SJ should not be in the same MSA.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:17 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
And we are saying the Census MSA definitions for the Bay Area are a sham and in no way reflect the reality there (similar to Cleveland and Akron, on a much smaller scale).

Spend any time there and youll realize its all one metro...no one who lives in San Jose would say they are part of a different Metro area.
This is your opinion...fine...we say this area and that...fine...FOR ANOTHER THREAD...For the last time CENSUS BUREAU...If you refuse to participate under the opening parameters; than by all means...START YOUR OWN THREAD! We will never agree on the components of each area...Why do you insist on changing the parameters set forth in the thread....Please feel free to go to all the trouble and provide links and state your case...I'm sure The CENSUS BUREAU will be very interested!

Old 08-26-2009, 11:17 PM

199 posts, read 220,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
My guess is there is more integration between NYC metro and Phillys metro than there is between SJ and SF based on the fact that there are 4x as many people living in NYC/PHilly than SJ/SF. .
without a question, the stupidest thing i've read on this website.
i find it funny how people who dont live here will try to tell people from here that SJ and SF are 2 distinct areas.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:23 PM

How can we have a discussion when the people want to each make their own definitions...makes the debate pointless.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:24 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngchampion View Post
without a question, the stupidest thing i've read on this website.
i find it funny how people who dont live here will try to tell people from here that SJ and SF are 2 distinct areas.
I didnt say they were distinct areas. I said they are distinct MSA's. SF's sphere of influence grew seperately from SJ's sphere of influence.They eventually merged. SF is not directly responsible for SJ or SJ's suburban population, seperate root systems although closely related..

By definition of the census bureau they are seperate msa's.

Last edited by rainrock; 08-26-2009 at 11:32 PM..

Old 08-26-2009, 11:28 PM

246 posts, read 758,775 times
Do you realize how absurd this is? I don't even know where to begin...

Let me only say this. The 49ers are in the process of developing a new stadium in Santa Clara (5 minutes from San Jose). Once the move happens they will still be called the San Francisco 49ers. No one has complained about this...does that inform your understanfing of the social and cultural geography of the area?

The physical and urban connectivity has already been established through the numerous satellite photos posted throughout this thread. The Bay Area is a metro area comprised of a "triangle" of cities with unfettered urban development between them, which forms a half circle around the bay itself.

Again, Rainrock, please describe why this (the half circle around the bay) should be considered 2 metro areas. Where would you draw the line?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
SJ and SF are distinct MSA's. NYC and Philly are distinct MSA's. My guess is there is more integration between NYC metro and Phillys metro than there is between SJ and SF based on the fact that there are 4x as many people living in NYC/PHilly than SJ/SF. There are an estimated 1.5 M people commuting between NYC and Philly just using Amtrak, thats an enormous amount of rail commuters between 2 cities.That doesnt take into effect NJ Transit, Bus Lines, planes, 2 hr car trip up the turnpike.

Here is an excerpt from the NY SUN discussing the NYC/Philly bond. Although I dont agree with the "Sixth Borough" title at all.

New Amtrak Service Could Boost ‘the Sixth Borough'

By ANNIE KARNI, Special to the Sun | April 20, 2007

Amtrak is planning to roll out new service on its much-maligned and often-delayed Acela route this July, providing nonstop service between New York and Philadelphia for the first time. The new route would also provide nonstop service to Washington from Philadelphia.

Cutting three New Jersey stops from the trip and shaving down commute times between New York and Philadelphia to about an hour could help solidify the "sixth borough" status of the City of Brotherly Love, real estate brokers and developers said.

About 1.5 million passengers a year use Amtrak to commute between New York and Philadelphia on a regular basis, and the number is growing, particularly among people in their 20s and 30s seeking more affordable housing, real estate brokers said. Amtrak expects the new line to boost its business clientele, a spokesman said.

You have to understand what the definition of the MSA entitles. The MSA is based on a single core region and the ensuing direct growth and integration surrounding that core area. SF and SJ were independent singular core areas that eventually merged. Hence the fairly recent CMSA classification. SF and SJ should not be in the same MSA.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:32 PM

199 posts, read 220,087 times
we are telling you as residents of the area that everybody here recognizes the San Francisco bay area as the area around the san francisco bay
derrrr
hence the name itself san francisco bay
and what cities surround the san francisco bay
SF + the peninsula, oakland and the east bay (note the word bay in "east bay"), San Jose and the south bay, and vallejo and the cities to the north.

here is one of YOUR posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
A few posters want to make up their own parameters for a metropolitan area...that is up to the Census Bureau...HERE ARE THEIR DEFINITIONS AND PARAMETERS..... United States metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and the populations(NO ESTIMATES). They have the definitive say!
as one poster told you (who you purposely ignored), click on #13 on that page

you get this page
San Francisco Bay Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and if you're still lazy and want to pretend that link doesn't exist, here is the page

All from a link YOU posted. read the stuff inside the red box, and look at the image to the left.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngchampion View Post
uh, not its not. lived in the bay my entire life and i call SF the city or frisco... and so does everyone i know. sf goes by many names and frisco is one of them
You have spoken to all 800,000 residents.....I'm impressed!

Old 08-26-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
As a California native I always find it odd that people who live out of the state seem to worry more about earthquakes than actual residents of the state. Anyone seem to notice that too?
Kinda like hurricanes and floods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City