Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do You Prefer?
San Francisco. 264 55.81%
Philadelphia. 158 33.40%
Too close to call. 38 8.03%
I don't like either city. 13 2.75%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:41 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No one is suggesting that San Francisco is on the level of Philadelphia as crime, but historical crime rates speak for themselves.
I don't think Philly has a rep for being a tougher city because there's more crime there than in SF. In my opinion, it's because the ranks of the working and poor classes in Philly aren't restricted to blacks and Hispanics.

San Francisco is like DC in the sense that there's a pretty clear dichotomy along racial lines: whites are rich, blacks and Latinos are working-class or poor. There are very few exceptions to this general rule in SF and DC. But in Philly, you are just as likely to see white guys wearing Dickie's and black hoodies as you are black guys. You even see white "corner boys" in certain areas of the Northeast, and they are actually tough white guys. Not fake tough guys...they are seriously some brawlic dudes who look like they're very unhappy with the state of their lives lol. Many of the Asians in Philly have a certain toughness as well.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:56 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Who brought this thread back from the dead?

And why has it declined to the point of talking about gangbangers and hoodrats?

These metros have too much going on to dwell in the negative vast minority .

Japanese Garden-Fairmount Park

Old 02-28-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
San Francisco is just a much more enjoyable city, as far as I'm concerned. One significant factor Philly has going for it is CoL, but overall San Fran just feels more vibrant, is more attractive, and has less urban decay. And when you consider amenities nearby--the California coast, the wine country, etc.--it really pushes SF ahead.
I can understand this. Overall, San Francisco is a nicer place than Philadelphia.

As a single guy, I'd probably take SF over Philly pretty easily. That's partly because SF would be something new and I vowed, once I finished high school, to never return to Philly. But that's starting to change now. If you ever have the chance to live in Philly, you'd begin to love the fact that it's such a neighborhood city. Each neighborhood has its own different personality, but at the same time, I think everybody kinda has this "We're Philadelphians" type of attitude. I've never really sensed that in DC or SF. It seems like most people are there for the short run and don't have any plans to establish any genuine connection to the larger community.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:02 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Philly catches bodies, from the videos you showed SanFran is just loud and hyped up, all bark no bite, but those hood 2 hood videos are garbage for every city.
Oh i see, my example is simply "garbage" and doesn't count. Did you watch the video? It had a man getting beaten and a bloody murder scene...both of which sound a lot like "bite" to me, not "bark".

Quote:
This is just from this past weekend in Philly courtesy of Philly.com. These kinds of headlines are an everyday thing in Philly, and this was a relatively calm weekend.
Weekend slaying victims identified

Inquirer Staff Report
Police have released the names of two slaying victims from the weekend and reported the death of another man four days after he was beaten a baseball bat.
The man killed when gunfire ripped through a 2003 Chevy Suburban in North Philadelphia early Sunday was identified as Hector Plaza, 27, of the 2800 block of North Reese Street in the Fairhill section.
A second man wounded in the arm in the shooting on the 500 block of West Cambria Street made his way to Episcopal Hospital in another car and was transferred to Temple University Hospital in stable condition.
No arrests have been reported.
A man fatally wounded in a shooting early Saturday in a bar on the 2600 block of Sergeant Street in North Philadelphia was identified as Christopher Keeys, who lived nearby on West Huntingdon Street.
Keeys, 26, was shot multiple times in the back and side during a fight in the bar that also left a 43-year-old man with a gunshot wound to the thigh and a 32-year-old man stabbed in the leg, police said.
Keeys died at 1:26 a.m. at Temple University Hospital.
Again, no arrests have been reported.
In another case, police said a man beaten with a baseball bat on Feb. 20 in his home on the 5700 block of Vine Street in West Philadelphia has died.
Howard Dickson, 44, succumbed to his injuries at 11:54 p.m. Thursday at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Police are looking for his killer.
Guess what? San Francisco had two homicide victims this weekend too! And another shooting victim who survived as well as a stabbing victim who survived:

-Victim Of Fatal Mission Shooting Identified: News: SFAppeal
-Man Fatally Shot In Potrero Hill Saturday Night: News: SFAppeal
-Victim Of Mission Stabbing Expected To Survive, No Arrests In Attack: News: SFAppeal
-Man Clings To Life After Mission Shooting Sunday Night: News: SFAppeal

Once again, this stuff is NOT unique to Philadelphia. Three of those incidents happened in the same neighborhood too, with two of them occurring just a block and half an hour apart.

Quote:
We even got a regular Mob segment on our local news. You won't see that in the Bay area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayJ32BOO1ic

Again I'm not trying to glorify the bad, and I'm sure that SanFran has it's tough spots, but pound for pound it's a much wealthier city than Philly, and it's poverty that breeds crime, and for the most part poor people can't even afford to live in SanFran. SanFran has crime, but in reality it's tame compared to Philly.
Objectively SF's crime is not tame at all compared to Philly. It's the same exact kind of stuff going on, just at a lower rate overall. How many examples do you need to believe it? Granted we haven't had a crazed abortion doctor kill 8 babies here, but we have a lot of other crazy stuff going on, like many other cities.

As for the mob thing...the italian mob died out here decades ago, aside from probably a few hold overs who aren't doing very much at all. When it comes to organized crime here, it's the Chinese, Mexicans, Russians, etc, and you normally don't hear about it on the news, because they and the media tend to keep that stuff covered up.

and as for poorer people and impoverished people. SF has a lesser proportion than Philly obviously but there are still plenty here. You are right that poverty breeds crime, and Sf has some very impoverished areas such as some of it's housing projects, some residential hotels in the Tenderloin and Mission, etc. Here are some income stats for SF too, to back it up:

Individuals below poverty level (93,766) - 11.5%

Household income in SF, 2009:
Less than $10,000 (21,415 households) - 6.6%
$10,000 to $14,999 (19,942) - 6.2%
$15,000 to $24,999 (26,232) - 8.1%
$25,000 to $34,999 (22,506) - 6.9%
$35,000 to $49,999 (32,363) - 10.0%

Family income in SF, 2009:
Less than $10,000 (4,616 families) - 3.2%
$10,000 to $14,999 (3,913) - 2.7%
$15,000 to $24,999 (11,394) - 8.0%
$25,000 to $34,999 (9,821) - 6.9%
$35,000 to $49,999 (14,020) - 9.8%

And remember this is expensive-ass SF, so those incomes don't go as far as they would in Philly either. Also, most of the poorest people in SF are concentrated in the same neighborhoods, so regardless of how wealthy SF is as a whole, it still has some very impoverished areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't think Philly has a rep for being a tougher city because there's more crime there than in SF. In my opinion, it's because the ranks of the working and poor classes in Philly aren't restricted to blacks and Hispanics.

San Francisco is like DC in the sense that there's a pretty clear dichotomy along racial lines: whites are rich, blacks and Latinos are working-class or poor. There are very few exceptions to this general rule in SF and DC. But in Philly, you are just as likely to see white guys wearing Dickie's and black hoodies as you are black guys. You even see white "corner boys" in certain areas of the Northeast, and they are actually tough white guys. Not fake tough guys...they are seriously some brawlic dudes who look like they're very unhappy with the state of their lives lol. Many of the Asians in Philly have a certain toughness as well.
You see working class white people and even more asian people like this in SF too, no doubt. The idea that we don't have them is purely stereotype (people seem to assume all white folks here are yuppies for some reason). There are less asian and white tough guys and such than black or latino but they are definitely around...especially the asian ones. This city has one of the largest and oldest asian populations, has had Chinese triads operating since the 1800s, and has plenty of poor asian immigrants. As for whites, i remember as a kid (80s, 90s) there were gangs of white kids in the Richmond district fighting and brawling and stuff like that, but they weren't typically killing each other or anything. We do have some Russian criminal stuff going on, as well as some white drug dealers and hustlers though, and you'll also see some white members of the Norteno gang too.

Once again, i'm not saying SF is worse than Philly, but it is worse than you guys seem to realize.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
You see working class white people and even more asian people like this in SF too, no doubt. The idea that we don't have them is purely stereotype (people seem to assume all white folks here are yuppies for some reason). There are less asian and white tough guys and such than black or latino but they are definitely around...especially the asian ones. This city has one of the largest and oldest asian populations, has had Chinese triads operating since the 1800s, and has plenty of poor asian immigrants. As for whites, i remember as a kid (80s, 90s) there were gangs of white kids in the Richmond district fighting and brawling and stuff like that, but they weren't typically killing each other or anything. We do have some Russian criminal stuff going on, as well as some white drug dealers and hustlers though, and you'll also see some white members of the Norteno gang too.

Once again, i'm not saying SF is worse than Philly, but it is worse than you guys seem to realize.
Yeah, but I think San Francisco, like DC, is a bimodal city. You're either rich or you have virtually nothing. Philadelphia's "affluent" neighborhoods aren't on the same scale as DC's or San Francisco's, but we have much more of a gradient of different types of neighborhoods. SF and DC are more elite, upper middle class and poor whereas Philly is more middle/lower middle class, working class and poor. This is why Philly, I think, feels much more crass and tougher than San Francisco. It's not so much that you're going to get shot up everywhere you go in Philly as it is people (black, Philly Rican, Italian or whatever) sort of give you this "My life is not a f-ing game" kinda look. The city has a weight or seriousness to it that San Francisco lacks (which is a good thing about SF).

Old 02-28-2011, 01:51 PM
rah

Quote:
Yeah, but I think San Francisco, like DC, is a bimodal city. You're either rich or you have virtually nothing. Philadelphia's "affluent" neighborhoods aren't on the same scale as DC's or San Francisco's, but we have much more of a gradient of different types of neighborhoods. SF and DC are more elite, upper middle class and poor whereas Philly is more middle/lower middle class, working class and poor. This is why Philly, I think, feels much more crass and tougher than San Francisco. It's not so much that you're going to get shot up everywhere you go in Philly as it is people (black, Philly Rican, Italian or whatever) sort of give you this "My life is not a f-ing game" kinda look. The city has a weight or seriousness to it that San Francisco lacks (which is a good thing about SF).
San Francisco has lots of wealthy and upper middle class people and a high income gap, but San Francisco definitely does have a pretty sizable middle class, lower middle class and working class...definitely larger than the population of impoverished people in fact. They may be a bit smaller than they were 20 years ago, or as a percentage compared to Philly, but to say they are not there is completely wrong.

and to add to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide
This is just from this past weekend in Philly courtesy of Philly.com. These kinds of headlines are an everyday thing in Philly, and this was a relatively calm weekend.
Weekend slaying victims identified

Inquirer Staff Report
Police have released the names of two slaying victims from the weekend and reported the death of another man four days after he was beaten a baseball bat.
The man killed when gunfire ripped through a 2003 Chevy Suburban in North Philadelphia early Sunday was identified as Hector Plaza, 27, of the 2800 block of North Reese Street in the Fairhill section.
A second man wounded in the arm in the shooting on the 500 block of West Cambria Street made his way to Episcopal Hospital in another car and was transferred to Temple University Hospital in stable condition.
No arrests have been reported.
A man fatally wounded in a shooting early Saturday in a bar on the 2600 block of Sergeant Street in North Philadelphia was identified as Christopher Keeys, who lived nearby on West Huntingdon Street.
Keeys, 26, was shot multiple times in the back and side during a fight in the bar that also left a 43-year-old man with a gunshot wound to the thigh and a 32-year-old man stabbed in the leg, police said.
Keeys died at 1:26 a.m. at Temple University Hospital.
Again, no arrests have been reported.
In another case, police said a man beaten with a baseball bat on Feb. 20 in his home on the 5700 block of Vine Street in West Philadelphia has died.
Howard Dickson, 44, succumbed to his injuries at 11:54 p.m. Thursday at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Police are looking for his killer.
Guess what? San Francisco had two homicide victims this weekend too! And another shooting victim who survived as well as a stabbing victim who survived:

-Victim Of Fatal Mission Shooting Identified: News: SFAppeal
-Man Fatally Shot In Potrero Hill Saturday Night: News: SFAppeal
-Victim Of Mission Stabbing Expected To Survive, No Arrests In Attack: News: SFAppeal
-Man Clings To Life After Mission Shooting Sunday Night: News: SFAppeal

Once again, this stuff is NOT unique to Philadelphia. Three of those incidents happened in the same neighborhood too, with two of them occurring just a block and half an hour apart.
there was another shooting this weekend in SF that i missed, which also happened just two hours before and right nearby that Potrero Hill homicide: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/crim...15-so-far-year

one of the homicide victims was nicknamed "trigger", and died in Sureno gang territory...so I think you can guess the kind of life he might have led. Doesn't seem like any of that would be considered "tame" in Philadelphia...but maybe i'm just crazy.

Last edited by rah; 02-28-2011 at 02:03 PM..

Old 02-28-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
San Francisco has lots of wealthy and upper middle class people and a high income gap, but San Francisco definitely does have a pretty sizable middle class, lower middle class and working class...definitely larger than the population of impoverished people in fact. They may be a bit smaller than they were 20 years ago, or as a percentage compared to Philly, but to say they are not there is completely wrong.
I know that there are some middle class people there. There are still middle class families in DC too, but the rising housing costs will pretty much ensure than any family earning between $60K and $200K will be forced to live in the burbs. I'm sure San Francisco is the same way.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:12 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,437 times
cheesesteaks alone put philly light years ahead of san francisco in my book.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:16 PM
rah

Quote:
I know that there are some middle class people there. There are still middle class families in DC too, but the rising housing costs will pretty much ensure than any family earning between $60K and $200K will be forced to live in the burbs. I'm sure San Francisco is the same way.
San Francisco has lots of people making between $60k and $200k:

Household income in SF, 2009:
Less than $10,000 (21,415 households) - 6.6%
$10,000 to $14,999 (19,942) - 6.2%
$15,000 to $24,999 (26,232) - 8.1%
$25,000 to $34,999 (22,506) - 6.9%
$35,000 to $49,999 (32,363) - 10.0%
$50,000 to $74,999 (48,560) - 15.0%
$75,000 to $99,999 ( 38,341) - 11.8%
$100,000 to $149,999 (51,042) - 15.7%
$150,000 to $199,999 (27,308) - 8.4%

$200,000 or more (36,476) - 11.3%

50.9% of SF's households make $50,000 to $200,000 a year.

Family income in SF, 2009:
Less than $10,000 (4,616 families) - 3.2%
$10,000 to $14,999 (3,913) - 2.7%
$15,000 to $24,999 (11,394) - 8.0%
$25,000 to $34,999 (9,821) - 6.9%
$35,000 to $49,999 (14,020) - 9.8%
$50,000 to $74,999 (19,589) - 13.7%
$75,000 to $99,999 (17,268) - 12.1%
$100,000 to $149,999 (25,711) - 18.0%
$150,000 to $199,999 (14,571) - 10.2%

$200,000 or more (21,916) - 15.3%

54% of SF's families make between $50,000 and $200,000.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:25 PM

Rah,

When a friend of mine from college decided to go to Temple for Med School, he asked me how Philly would be different from Oakland. I told him that it's not all that bad, but that it can take an emotional toll on you because the city's not all that friendly. The odds that he'd get shot by a random dope head or thug on the block: Low. The odds that he'd get set up, manipulated, double-crossed, and disposed of by our wily, sociopathic golddigging women and Qu'ran carrying, smooth-talking phony Muslims: High.

What did Eve say?

Clown, I spot you from the time you buy me a drink
Instantly I get a vision of diamond studded links and full ink minks
And little doggies dyed pink
'Cuz I know ya wanna spend your last, before you even think
...If you know you pu$$y, take off the ice...

The greatest difficulty an outsider would have in Philly is that this city gives you no love. I mean NONE AT ALL. Unless you went to high school in Philly, or you've known a girl here for a very long time, there's no point in trying to approach her. You'd be better off just walking up to her and punching her in the mouth to get her attention. I think the biggest shock someone would experience here is the coldness and aloofness of many of the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City