Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do You Prefer?
San Francisco. 264 55.81%
Philadelphia. 158 33.40%
Too close to call. 38 8.03%
I don't like either city. 13 2.75%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:47 PM

818 posts, read 1,387,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post

You've never even stepped foot outside of the coastal Northeast, have you? Pffff, pathetic!
LMAO so much NE envy, were you crying when you were typing this cute NE love letter of yours? CA wont ever match the NE, sorry. NYC and DC alone take your whole state out of commission

Old 02-28-2011, 10:05 PM

239 posts, read 305,764 times
San Francisco is a much better, more vibrant and much more pleasant city than Philadelphia.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:34 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAC NY View Post
San Francisco is a much better, more vibrant and much more pleasant city than Philadelphia.
I'm not sure if I could say that. Center City is actually quite entertaining from what I hear. I also hear that the recent Census estimates show that Phily hasn't been in as much decline as many previously thoight. As cities, SF vs Phily is a tough comparison. Now, when you take the whole Bay Area and compare it to Greater Phily (I will use the definition kidphily uses:I agree with you brother) I can see how the Bay Area comes out.

However, the Bay Area is definitely multi-nodal whereas Phily is definitely the top city and dominates the scene in its area. The next largest city is Camden...'nuff said.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:19 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAC NY View Post
Meh weak post. Too vague and far too short on details and reasoning.

Philadelphias vibrancy is actually very strong. If you are going to tell the forum that San Francisco is much more vibrant than Philadelphia then tell us why. Stats? pictures? relevant quotes?

Downtowns? Too close to call.

City Overall- San Francisco

Region Overall- Philadlephia. I'll give you the iconic scenery and ambience in SF is pretty spectacular but imo the Philaldephia region of expansive rolling green valleys and rivers makes for an overall more pleasant place to live, at a fraction of the cost of the geographically restricted Bay Area.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:02 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Hmm. I think of San Francisco's location as its biggest strength. The Bay Area has lots of natural beauty surrounding it. On the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge is National Park land. The east coast is pretty, but can't really compare to the west coast.

http://www.robertcampbellphotography...nas-Ridge2.jpg

http://i.pbase.com/o6/88/35988/1/810...623074rbs2.jpg

http://treehuggingphotography.com/wp...oint-reyes.jpg

http://www.subwaynut.com/bart/macarthur/macarthur14.jpg

Old 03-01-2011, 08:32 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Oh don't I know it, Priscilla. Hills pffffff. You need to have something on them for them to be something first, DUUUUHHHH SF....stupid SF and its barren, boring-ass hills with nothing else to offer. How is this even a contest? I mean a few hills (like 3 or 4 I think with nothing else at all w/in its city limits) against the cultural and culinary mecca that is Philthadelphia! Puh-lease! I mean maybe if SF had some culture, food or sports then it could compete....oh wait.....

Hey jabroni, 5 Superbowls to Philly's donut (well, the Eagles did LOSE two, so I guess that counts for something lol), a nice little boot out the NLCS before our World Series victory, and the Bay's 2 MLB teams, 2 NFL teams, 1 NBA, 1 NHL and 1 MLS team >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Philly any day of the week, sorry to break it to ya!

SF's culture (of which you obviously know nothing so I won't even get started) vs. Philly's "culture" isn't even comparable b/c SF owns that one, and SF is one of America's elite food cities where Philly plays second fiddle at best. Of course I guess if you're bright enough to be comparing food, culture and sports directly to hills then maybe Philly comes out on top.

Guess you're a little too slow to get that the chowder bowls comment was a joke. If you think that's the best SF has to offer then I pity you. But feel free to cut yourself off from the amenities the rest of the US has to offer outside of your little NE bubble if you prefer! That just means you won't be in my way, homer lol.

You've never even stepped foot outside of the coastal Northeast, have you? Pffff, pathetic!
You don't know what you are talking about, Philly destroys San francisco when it comes to culture, sports (Philly is a way better sports city and the fans are way more passionate), history, and there are more known music artists, athletes, actors, comedians etc from Philly. Philly's people are also far more interesting unique and funny. If you put your average Philadelphian and someone from San fran together in a room with a bunch of people, I guarantee the Philadelphian will stand out and be far more interesting than the person from San fran.

Last edited by nephi215; 03-01-2011 at 09:02 AM..

Old 03-01-2011, 12:08 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,517,133 times
Here's something to ponder.......to better understand some of our fellow posters and their posting styles>>>>>

The twenty most vain cities in America

Old 03-01-2011, 12:13 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,517,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
some of this stuff has nothing to do with which city is better than which. i dont know how GDP, media markets or all that other nonsense comes in to play when gauging which city is better.

Try reading the Opening Post and thread parameters before commenting..

Old 03-01-2011, 01:10 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Try reading the Opening Post and thread parameters before commenting..
The question you asked is "Which City Do You Prefer?" You may want to craft your questions a bit more carefully next time.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:16 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,142 times
http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regi..._metro0211.pdf

7. San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA MSA: $335,563
8. Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD MSA: $335,112

So basically, SF MSA has a higher GDP than Philadelphia MSA DESPITE having 1.5 million less people. SF MSA has HAD a higher GDP than Philadelphia MSA since 2008, without even using the rest of the Bay Area.

The numbers are there for everyone to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City