Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelwoman View Post
Well, ya might've heard me say it before & I'll say it again just to turn attention on New York. They give themselves a bad reputation to the wrest of America. They think they're smarter than us, they think they're prettier/better lookin' than us, & they turn their noses up @ the workin' class (even though most of New York, though they won't admit it, is working class as well.) They ain't better, but they have huge egos that tell them otherwise. Even the many who come to NY lookin' for a fancier lifestyle get cocky, as if that's their homestate. I agree 100% with the posters who say "New Yorkers have a big ego, while Texas has pride." Texas is beautiful (most of it,) & the ones who attack it (usually northeasterners) deserve what they got comin'.

Oh, & about California, you ain't got pride like Texas. Don't try to make yourselves look better than you are. We all know you're just a poor wannabe version of New York, which is nothin' to be proud of.

Haha, now let 'em blow. I've got some enemies now, I can feel it!

Jessie
Have to agree with you completely on this post

NY'ers definitely have big egos despite most of them not having any reason for it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 12:00 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
Well, ya might've heard me say it before & I'll say it again just to turn attention on New York. They give themselves a bad reputation to the wrest of America. They think they're smarter than us, they think they're prettier/better lookin' than us, & they turn their noses up @ the workin' class (even though most of New York, though they won't admit it, is working class as well.) They ain't better, but they have huge egos that tell them otherwise. Even the many who come to NY lookin' for a fancier lifestyle get cocky, as if that's their homestate. I agree 100% with the posters who say "New Yorkers have a big ego, while Texas has pride." Texas is beautiful (most of it,) & the ones who attack it (usually northeasterners) deserve what they got comin'.

Oh, & about California, you ain't got pride like Texas. Don't try to make yourselves look better than you are. We all know you're just a poor wannabe version of New York, which is nothin' to be proud of.

Jessie

I don't think Californians have pride like Texas either. However, I will admit that Californians are some the coolest people I've ever chilled with. Very laid back and easy to talk to.

I don't think New Yorkers realize how egotistical and delusional they are, especially a few on this board. They deny having huge egos than come back with crap like this "Us New Yorkers have the right to think we're better than the rest of you because we live in the best city in the world!"

Old 06-23-2010, 12:15 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,338,414 times
The country of Texas has the biggest ego IMO.

I will say some of the transplanted NYers are arrogant..."Look at me I live in NYC so I'm better than you".

It's a two way street, I've never really been somewhere where I was insulted for being from NY/NJ/MD. But I bet it's a two way street, plenty of times on this board I've seen "Those darn Northerners"-esque comments so don't act all innocent.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:17 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,464,810 times
Quote:

Jessie
There's a perfect example of the pot calling the kettle black.

I think this holds true for all people of all regions: When you talk about how great your area is, it's pride...when people from other areas of the country do the same, it's ego/arrogance.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:02 PM

624 posts, read 906,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

I think this holds true for all people of all regions: When you talk about how great your area is, it's pride...when people from other areas of the country do the same, it's ego/arrogance.
No arrogance is when you think you're better than anybody else, nothing compares to your state. As a Texan I would be surprised if people didn't have at least some pride in the state they were raised in or have family roots from.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:43 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,809 times
Quote:

Basically says it all right here. If a state like north dokota tried to talk down a state like texas, texans will be all over it with ego, see where im going with this. We all do it.

Saying texas simply has pride is laughable- "Everything is bigger in Texas" lol really everything

The republic of texas........... nuff said

Old 06-23-2010, 08:49 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,177,029 times
Quote:

Jessie
um ok? You do realize you sound completely hypocritical here right? pleeeasssee

Old 06-23-2010, 10:25 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,520,931 times
Quote:

Jessie
I don't mind admitting I'm working class, alotta people don't, some people are proud of that. But I suppose you've been up there and asked every one of the 19 million people how they feel and most of em gave you that impression. What are you implying anyway? That all Texans are working class and there aren't yuppies and blue bloods down there that look there noses down at others?

Also, it's pretty rare that someone from upstate NY would identify so much with NYC and it's attitudes the way some people are suggesting here. But I guess it's easier to tell who really hasn't been there.

And how is saying Californians couldn't be as proud of their state as Texans are of theirs not arrogant? They have alot to be proud of and generally seem to be. Just like NYC'ers and upstaters, even if it's for different things. Every place has some pride and arrogance.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:34 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,177,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
And how is saying Californians couldn't be as proud of their state as Texans are of theirs not arrogant? They have alot to be proud of and generally seem to be. Just like NYC'ers and upstaters, even if it's for different things. Every place has some pride and arrogance.
+ 1!

Old 06-24-2010, 03:35 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,055,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
texas takes the cake for sure. There the only citizens that take their state flag seriously
Although I do agree that state flags are meaningless compared to our unified system, even though state flags carry the distinction of every states identity and nature, coming from Illinois, we could care less about our state flag. And as a Chicagoan, I can tell you this much in all honesty, Chicagoans and their suburbanites could care less for the rest of the state of Illinois in general. It is very sad to say such, but that is the typical mentality we have.
Sometimes I think we think of our city as not Chicago, Illinois but more over as Chicago, USA first before we acknowledge being apart of Illinois. (just my opinion)

In contrasting belief, after having attended school in Texas, I can actually state the reasons as to why. In defense of Texas, it's mainly because of the pride & honor it comes with once being a nation of it's own. In fact when Texas was admitted into the union, it was the only state to enter upon treaty, giving it certain rights that other states that were annexed in were not granted. Flying the state flag at the same height and length as the American flag was simply one of those rights.

Texans from what I have seen do take an immense amount of pride in their state, and if you ask any of the native Texans, they can recite the Texas history for you, they are very into that. I would say that the pride and blood runs through many native Texan veins (not all, but many), the massacres and sufferings in Goliad and at the Alamo are always a reminder for Texans as to what the state has been through and how it's been through heaven and Earth to get to where it is today. In continuation, boasting the flag is a simple gesture of honoring the states history at most. It's not there to offend anyone else.
You do not see that mentality much in the Texans from the big Texas cities, but you do out in small towns and medium sized cities of Texas.
In a heartbeat they would tell you from the day Texas was founded to the latest occurrence as of the last 10 minutes in Texas's history.

I'm not saying all of them rave on about the Texas Flag for that reason though- but a lot of them do, based off of what I have learned in school & observed with the native population.

Quote:
Yea I've never, ever heard of an upstater acting like they were in some way affiliated with NYC. At my first college, both my roommates were from Cooperstown and they hated NYC.
I'm one of the few people who probably don't live in New York and prefer Buffalo over New York City (Niagara being my cause- and proximity to Canada- And probably because I want to stay away living from family in NYC!!), but I didn't know there were tensions between people up there and how they view their states premier city.

That's actually news to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
BUT here is what separates Texas PRIDE and NY ARROGANCE.

Texan: "Texas is awesome, I love Texas, Texas is the place to be"
New Yorker: " Where I'm from is AWESOME, where you're from sucks. I hate it down here, you guys are country bumpkins, you guys are whack"

THIS is the difference.
I completely disagree. The large majority of New Yorkers I have actually met in real life in New York, they don't ever act like they are better than anyone to be honest.

A lot of them have asked me in detail about Texas before, and they're actually a very curious crowd. Of all the people out there, New Yorkers, are definitely my favorites. They are very nice and welcoming people. Very hospitable as well. And when you're in New York, they will make you feel at home.

Actually when I talk to New Yorkers about the Windy City (Chicago), they know more about it than I do (a good number of them- not all of them), even the street names, where to turn right, where the exact location of a store is, and where all these things are. All I know is where I live in Naperville and where I live in downtown and how to get to the train station efficiently from there. I leave the rest to the cab drivers and CTA/METRA trains. It's pretty funny how they know so much though!

As far as my experience with them goes, they have never upon my interactions tried to play any superiority tricks before. They are welcoming and a very curious crowd that likes to know what's going on around them and who is amongst them. I like that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So IMO, the general view of New Yorkers as being arrogant is a delusional one actually.
There are a few nut job arrogant people on this site from New York, no doubt, but the same can be said for Texas, California, Massachusetts, Illinois, Minnesota, Oregon, Georgia, & many other states.

I do not believe any of these people on here speak for a crowd of millions of people. To even assume as much is simply ridiculous.

And to be honest, Californians are not bad either. Neither on this site (I generally tend to agree with them the absolute most) nor in real life. I have gotten along great with every Californian I have ever met before in my life. (As far as I know of- I think, lol) And California often at times serves as my second home (After Illinois & Texas), I spend months on end in the Bay Area when school is out and when I'm on holidays, no place on Earth I'd rather be at more (besides Chicago, Tucson, Dallas, Los Angeles, & Houston of course!). The people and the atmosphere is very nice. Beautiful scenery and very large hearted people, my general crowd.
The assumptions that Californians are fake, totally bull lies, only the ignorant possess ideas as such.

I know I have displayed a lot of heat for people of Massachusetts in the past here, and I will admit they are not my crowd. There are plenty of them that are nice fellows. One right here, tmac9wr is a pretty cool guy, and that really redirects the way I perceived them when I was in Massachusetts.

Alright lol in a long and probably sensitive conclusion (knowing myself well enough to call that) I really do believe this thread stands no grounds for any existence, and I'm sorry to say, that anyone taking part of it and actually naming states- slap yourselves on the wrist at least once, because you're generalizing based off of a limited exposure, you have probably never met the majority of that states population, owe it to the innocent and hard working people of those states to leave their states name out of this terrible thread.
It's very disrespectful.

I like all our regions, all four of them. All have beautiful landscapes, great people, very diverse lifestyle to choose from, and very different things to offer. I would never hate on any one of them- very narrow minded thing to do.

We're the United States of America. We are not the United States of Northeast America. Or the United States of Midwest America. Or the United States of South America (ROFLMAO- at the sound of that one). Or the United States of West America. We're just USA, united and strong when we're together (9-11 was a great example of our country coming together during a time of urgency- all 50 states and their people). So stop with the in fighting and give your fellow American peers some credit, don't trip their horse and beat them with a stick while they're down- instead offer your hand and help them up.

Lol, honestly if you could take the same passion that we do in bashing each other on these forums and invest it in recovering and helping our country pull forth as the best in the world, we'd be unstoppable, but we're always wasting time fighting like mindless zombies with one another...

To say any one state is more arrogant than the other 49 shows your lack being able to comprehend and accept people. To say any one state exemplifying pride does the same. We're all guilty of pride, and to some degree arrogance. All of us.

We're the greatest country in the world, IMHO- it's about time people of the greatest country in the world start acting like it and honor what their founders, veterans, and soldiers out in the heat of battle- and those given their lives for the country have done for us. Westerners, Southerners, Northeasters, Midwesterners have all served and died in Iraq & Afghanistan for the protection of our country. Show them and where they come from some respect at least.
http://www.clandouglassociety.org/United_We_Stand.jpg (broken link)

Just my $.02. Good night- I'll probably wake up late tomorrow, and do what we young adult Chicagoans do- and that would be to hit up the Magnificent Mile!

Peace out!

Last edited by DANNYY; 06-24-2010 at 04:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City