Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 07:06 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxL View Post
In response to those who say TEXAS, I don't agree. I agree with the poster who said it may seem like they have egos because they are quick to defend their state. It's kind of like a cyclical effect... people take shots at them because they hear stereotypes, then their citizens fight back and those responses are interpreted negatively. I found the majority of people I met in Texas (have visited the Houston area twice) to be very nice and welcoming. They are very proud of their state, which I like, though I guess this can irk some people too who interpret it as elitism.
Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 11:53 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Texas is mostly a pride thing. The Texas OVER-pride thing is STILL VERY annoying(and I'm a former Texan myself). All those Texas state stars on every single thing is kinda tacky and stupid looking. BUT here is what separates Texas PRIDE and NY ARROGANCE.

Texan: "Texas is awesome, I love Texas, Texas is the place to be"
New Yorker: " Where I'm from is AWESOME, where you're from sucks. I hate it down here, you guys are country bumpkins, you guys are whack"

THIS is the difference.
Spot on! Pride and Ego are completely different from each other. New Yorkers have egos and even admit it. Texans have lots of pride; which can get annoying [like Polo said] However, don't get it confused with a huge ego. We're proud of our state, but we don't think we're better than others.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:29 PM

624 posts, read 907,054 times
I said in an earlier post the Texas pride thing I took as a joke, I meant the we are the best or boasting about TX part. The TX flag is taken seriously it's probably one of the better well known state flags with it's simple design. I see the TX flag with the US flag flown over several downtown buildings in SA, I like it nothing wrong with national and state pride.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:32 PM

14 posts, read 20,065 times
NYers, never seen people so full of themselves in my life. Not talking about the people from Upstate though some of them can be just as annoying as the self-proclaimed "real NYers".

Old 06-22-2010, 07:01 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,177,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxL View Post
From my experience, I would have to say CALIFORNIA - though you can never lump everyone together, I'll just say there's a higher percentage of people with big egos there. Even some family members who live there have it and didn't before they moved. I think it is because living in Cal is somewhat exclusive in that you can't just move from anywhere in the country and have a similar lifestyle because of the cost in all the major metro areas. It's like a "movin' on up" place and that may make the people who live there feel a little bit more special than everyone else.

In response to those who say TEXAS, I don't agree. I agree with the poster who said it may seem like they have egos because they are quick to defend their state. It's kind of like a cyclical effect... people take shots at them because they hear stereotypes, then their citizens fight back and those responses are interpreted negatively. I found the majority of people I met in Texas (have visited the Houston area twice) to be very nice and welcoming. They are very proud of their state, which I like, though I guess this can irk some people too who interpret it as elitism.
what you said about Texas, I will turn around and say about California. We have tons of pride in our state, not for the government obviously, but for everything we have as far as geography and climate. When people start saying stuff like "Californians are just fake and stuck up." Those things REALLY annoy me. They act as if there aren't people like that in their own state.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:55 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,957,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey Chick View Post
NYers, never seen people so full of themselves in my life. Not talking about the people from Upstate though some of them can be just as annoying as the self-proclaimed "real NYers".
Yep, even some of the upstaters that I've met ride NYC's wave of pride, and use it as there pride also, because it's all one state, and NYC has the same name as NY. So they use it.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:57 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,957,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
what you said about Texas, I will turn around and say about California. We have tons of pride in our state, not for the government obviously, but for everything we have as far as geography and climate. When people start saying stuff like "Californians are just fake and stuck up." Those things REALLY annoy me. They act as if there aren't people like that in their own state.
It's mostly that East-coast bias. That east-coast stereotypical bias(for lack of a better term). To them Eastcoast=REAL, Westcoast=FAKE.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:14 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,094,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yep, even some of the upstaters that I've met ride NYC's wave of pride, and use it as there pride also, because it's all one state, and NYC has the same name as NY. So they use it.
Really? People from upstate can't stand us.lol

Old 06-23-2010, 10:08 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,466,386 times
Yea I've never, ever heard of an upstater acting like they were in some way affiliated with NYC. At my first college, both my roommates were from Cooperstown and they hated NYC.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:26 AM

389 posts, read 777,281 times
Thumbs down New York Is A Mess!!!!!

Well, ya might've heard me say it before & I'll say it again just to turn attention on New York. They give themselves a bad reputation to the wrest of America. They think they're smarter than us, they think they're prettier/better lookin' than us, & they turn their noses up @ the workin' class (even though most of New York, though they won't admit it, is working class as well.) They ain't better, but they have huge egos that tell them otherwise. Even the many who come to NY lookin' for a fancier lifestyle get cocky, as if that's their homestate. I agree 100% with the posters who say "New Yorkers have a big ego, while Texas has pride." Texas is beautiful (most of it,) & the ones who attack it (usually northeasterners) deserve what they got comin'.

Oh, & about California, you ain't got pride like Texas. Don't try to make yourselves look better than you are. We all know you're just a poor wannabe version of New York, which is nothin' to be proud of.

Haha, now let 'em blow. I've got some enemies now, I can feel it!

Jessie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City