Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 02:25 PM

157 posts, read 165,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown lover View Post
My top 25 are:

San Francisco
Seattle
Indianapolis
NY
Philly
Boston
Portland
Denver
San Diego
Minneapolis
San Antonio
Baltimore
Washington DC
Pittsburgh
Chicago Loop
Detroit
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Los Angeles
New Orleans CBD
Austin
Milwaukee
Nashville
St. Louis
Memphis
Atlanta
Albuquerque
Revised: Take Seattle out of #2 and put it just below Austin. I was so appalled by what I experienced in Dt. Seattle. It's a very bad downtown with quite a few areas being scetchy. It can get dangerous at times there. The area is dead at night, even on weekend nights except for parts of 1st Ave and Beltown. If you go shopping, it's fine but prefer Bellveu. For entertainment, I'd recommend Capitol Hills or Ballard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 02:43 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
Revised: Take Seattle out of #2 and put it just below Austin. I was so appalled by what I experienced in Dt. Seattle. It's a very bad downtown with quite a few areas being scetchy. It can get dangerous at times there. The area is dead at night, even on weekend nights except for parts of 1st Ave and Beltown. If you go shopping, it's fine but prefer Bellveu. For entertainment, I'd recommend Capitol Hills or Ballard.
You are delusional. Your top rated downtown, SF, has an area far more dangerous (the tenderloin) than any part of Seattle, let alone any part of downtown Seattle.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:44 PM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
You honestly think Austin is Better than NY, Boston and Philly?

Old 03-01-2012, 04:47 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
You are wasting your time. Notice how he changes his mind by the minute?

Old 03-01-2012, 05:46 PM

229 posts, read 520,535 times
Quote:
Austin is an ok city. But to me is THE most overrated city and downtown in this country.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:17 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
Austin is an ok city. But to me is THE most overrated city and downtown in this country.
It really depends on what you like. If you are into music, is there really a better place to be? Can you imagine walking into a bar and Queens of the Stone Age playing an unnounced show for free? Are you into quirky street food with tons of gourmet and ecclectic food stands everywhere? There are hundreds of nice, cool, friendly people standing in the streets at night just chillin'. To me 6th Street is a nicer, safer, cooler version of Bourbon Street without all the raunch.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:40 PM

229 posts, read 520,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
It really depends on what you like. If you are into music, is there really a better place to be? Can you imagine walking into a bar and Queens of the Stone Age playing an unnounced show for free? Are you into quirky street food with tons of gourmet and ecclectic food stands everywhere? There are hundreds of nice, cool, friendly people standing in the streets at night just chillin'. To me 6th Street is a nicer, safer, cooler version of Bourbon Street without all the raunch.
David, I agree. I didn't say or mean it was not ok, or not even nice. But, imo, overrated. Because the city has been so trumpeted by some as almost utopian, when I visited I expected so much more. That's why I was so let down. Although the Hill section truly lives up to it's reputation.

Last edited by Kingsley; 03-02-2012 at 12:48 PM..

Old 03-02-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Did I ever said Dt. Austin is better than Philly's Center City? No, Center City is the top 5 best downtowns in the country. As for NY's downtown, I think it's close. I'm not including Mid-town, only downtown core. No need for debate. Downtown Seattle is pretty bad. I think Dt. LA is better nowadays.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Hey, when did I said Downtown Austin is better than Downtown NY? I'm only talking about Dt. Seattle since I just visited a friend there. I was soooo disappointed. It's pretty rough there, and you do have to watch your back carefully there. There are lousy pockets of blight in Dt. Seattle. I would say only some areas in Dt. Seattle walkable, particularly around Westlake/ Pacific Mall shopping area and by Pike's Market. The rest you can forgettaboutit except for a small area around Belltown. No need for debate. This is my personal opinion, and I may change my mind if things change for any cities I check out.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
You are delusional. Your top rated downtown, SF, has an area far more dangerous (the tenderloin) than any part of Seattle, let alone any part of downtown Seattle.
Are you against your downtown and rooting for Seattle's? I'm serious that Dt. Seattle is pretty bad. The Tenderloin is only small fraction of the who downtown area of SF. Dt. SF is the best and most complete of all downtown in the U.S..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City