Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated Region
The North 66 40.24%
The South 51 31.10%
The Midwest 10 6.10%
The west 37 22.56%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 09:42 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Midwestern cities have that Walmart mentality problem as well, albeit in a smaller but still unbearable dose. Once you get outside of the city limits and inner ring of just about any major city the shopping becomes as cookie-cutter as the homes.

But the Walmart mentality of the South is so ingrained that "it's cheap and easy" is the large reason a lot of people up North move to the area in general. For a lot of people it's jobs, but in my experience, for most of them it's been because they can get a cheaper homes and have lower taxes, not because the place they are moving to is high quality.
Yeah I agree with you. Here in VA Beach. They treat Walmart like it was paradise. Like if that was the only store that sells cheap stuff.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:23 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
So the south has walmarts, therefore it's overated. This is EXACTLY what I was talking about. I've been up north outside of the main cities, not that great. Just like the south, no better no worse, that's why I said they're both overrated. The thing with the northerners, they base how overrated the south is based on culture, suburbs, and a couple of stores. Both regions have culture, every region has there own culture. You guys act like the culture up north is THE supreme. Honestly, outside of NYC, BOS, PHI, or whatever city there is up there, it's not that superior, AT ALL, it's just a bunch of RURAL areas, just like the south. Both regions are overrated. What IS culture? New Orleans has cajun culture, Florida has carribean culture, Texas has 19th century Mexican and Spanish culture, with PLENTY of missions, ATL has Civil War culture. And YES NYC does have good ethnic food, but Texas has some of the best Mexican, Florida some of the best carribean, ATL some of the best soul food, Louisiana some of the best cajun. There are some great cities up north, but for how highly you all(Ididnt say ya'll) it's SEVERLY overrated.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:03 PM

294 posts, read 781,757 times
The North is overrated. I grew in New England- Providence, RI, Canton, Mass (outside Boston) and a few other places around Prov/Boston area. I'll start by saying this, Boston is the best city in all the Northeast, easily. Better than NYC because it has about everthing NY has but is much more liveable. Good seaford and ethnic offerings like Portugese and Italian foods. Providence is one of the best small cities in the nation. That said, the Northeast has many things which the outsider may not consider but has caused many from there to leave. Terrible roads (snow plows). Terrible weather. Overpriced housing of which a a great deal of it is old and decrepit. Not much new housing stock and that which is built is priced way beyond any middle class person's affordability. Horrible, arrogant drivers. Ugly suburbs which a full of big box stores and strip malls just like everywhere else. Cost a fortune to heat your home in winter. Taxes are very high. "Good ol boy" system still at work there which can hinder upward mobility in the job market. Lot's of nepotism and cronism and horrendous public schools in the cities. Last but not least, almost all my friends and many family members have left and have never looked back. Atlanta (only place they'll move to in Ga.), Texas, Caili and Florida are where most relocate.
I know I am sounding harsh concerning the Northeast but some people on this forum make it sound like some utopia. Funny thing is that we who grew up there never for a second thought we were better or superior to anyone or any place else. If anything, we thought that living outside of the region was opportunity and exciting. To you from other regions( where folks on this forum tend to pick on), as my grandfather used to say, "don't let anybody fool you". The NE is not all that. Is great, I think, for someone looking for something different coming from somewhere else. But everything gets old in any place you live, after a while.

Last edited by gladt; 05-26-2009 at 12:10 AM..

Old 05-25-2009, 11:47 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,959,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Honestly, outside of NYC, BOS, PHI, or whatever city there is up there, it's not that superior, AT ALL, it's just a bunch of RURAL areas, just like the south.
I would disagree with that...............................
While I'm not boasting about the NE. Its beauty is its continuity.
There are plenty of small cities that fill the gap between the Major, most talked about cities in the NE.
New Haven, Ct is a city with its own contributions to the culture of the east coast. Being Yale's city alone gives it stature. Some in the "know" claim its unique style of Pizza is better than deep dish Chi Town.
Look at a dismissed & much put down city like Newark, NJ. You can see the opera, a museum & pro sports all in one of the "scary & most dangerous" cities in America.
Between Philly & NY alone (without stepping foot in either one), you can taste foods from around the world (and I don't just mean Mexican & Italian), see works of art, musical concerts & enjoy a vast array of entertainment.
The large pockets of intellectualism that reside between the NE's big cities is one of its biggest strengths (being the home to the Ivy League).
I will let the New England types further break down Conn & RI for you.
But you see what I'm getting at.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:01 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladt View Post
I know I am sounding harsh concerning the Northeast but some people on this forum make it sound like some utopia. Funny thing is that we who grew up there never for a second thought we were better or superior to have hailed from the region. If anything, we thought that living outside of the region was opportunity and exciting. You from other region where folks on this forum pick on. As my grandfather used to say, "don't let anybody fool you". The NE is not all that. Is great, I think, for someone looking for something different coming form somewhere else. But everything gets old in every place, after a while.
I know exactly what you mean; I too was born and went to school in the Northeast... also in Providence, RI for awhile. There is a surprisingly provincial attitude among Northerners, especially considering the major cities there like NYC (although that's probably where you will find it the least)... many just don't see any reason to venture outside the east coast, they just don't find any value in other places. Kind of like the French of the USA. Works OK for them, I guess.

Meanwhile, the rest of the US just kind of sits in wonderment of why anyone would choose to live in such a harsh (weather-wise) environment, full of unfriendly and unhappy people (at least relative to the rest of the US), with such a high cost of living. Having lived there, I can tell you what I think is the answer: most have been there for generations. Outside of NYC and maybe Boston, most people don't move to, and many have left, the area for greener pastures. Those that haven't left either don't want to or feel that they can't. Hence you end up with the current population of highly xenophobic (and somewhat disgruntled) northeasterners.

Well, geez, that sounded a little harsher than I meant it to... not to say there aren't some beautiful spots, historical places, and culture up there.. but to the OP's question, the Northeast is most certainly overrated.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:27 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
You are lying because you are trying to say that the south is not hit by hurricanes

The south is where pretty much ALL of them go to

Have you ever heard of a college called The University of Miami "HURRICANES"?

There is a reason for that name
I was not even talking to you.

First of all...I suggest you take a look at the definitions of Hurricanes and Tornadoesa. I was talking about TORNADOES!! And I never said tornadoes didn't hit the south. I just said that is not where the majority of them are. Every heard of tornado alley? It covers Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, the plain states like Iowa, Kansas and Nebraska. It also stretches into North Dakota, South Dakota and Missouri.

Please employ reading comprehension skills next time you try to tell me why I am wrong.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:31 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I was not even talking to you.

First of all...I suggest you take a look at the definitions of Hurricanes and Tornadoesa. I was talking about TORNADOES!! And I never said tornadoes didn't hit the south. I just said that is not where the majority of them are. Every heard of tornado alley? It covers Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, the plain states like Iowa, Kansas and Nebraska. It also stretches into North Dakota, South Dakota and Missouri.

Please employ reading comprehension skills next time you try to tell me why I am wrong.
YOU might have been talking about tornadoes. But, the person that you were quoting and arguing with was talking about hurricanes.

YOU changed the subject, which was orginally hurricanes to tornadoes

Old 05-26-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
YOU might have been talking about tornadoes. But, the person that you were quoting and arguing with was talking about hurricanes.

Yeah is true. Like I said earlier at the thread that Uthorn is trying to do anything to make the south look good. That is why he is lying, and he was caught.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:49 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:

Quote:
Gimmie an S-O-U-T-H. South, South, South! I'm being nutty here but I simply cannot remotely fathom the appeal of this region. People say it's jobs. Well the South is suffering in that department right now as much as anybody else, perhaps more. People say it's weather. How many times in the past couple weeks alone have I seen tornado warnings on TV for areas in the South? Of course tornadoes pop up in the North too but it is nowhere near as often. Who gets most of the hurricanes? The South again. This is not paradise weather, folks, wondering if your roof is going to come off tonight.

The North couldn't be overrated since so many are, uh, complaining about it. If you want culture, you'll find it e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e up North. If you want good food, you can't miss it in the North. We're intelligent and we're modern and we're diverse; it is undeniable. One cannot base a new love of the South on jobs that don't exist and weather that is no improvement.

That is the entire post I quoted. Yes he mentioned hurricanes and I never denied that. But I was specifically referring to his mention of all the tornado warnings (which he mentioned FIRST by the way). Seriously...I think you two are the same person with different screen names. I hope so for the north's sake...there can't possibly be such a high concentration of arrogant, insecure, stubborn imbeciles in one region.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
That is the entire post I quoted. Yes he mentioned hurricanes and I never denied that. But I was specifically referring to his mention of all the tornado warnings (which he mentioned FIRST by the way). Seriously...I think you two are the same person with different screen names. I hope so for the north's sake...there can't possibly be such a high concentration of arrogant, insecure, stubborn imbeciles in one region.
We are the same persons? LOL you make me laugh. I live in VA Beach. Don't try to come up with this nonsense that we are the same person. Just admit you were caught lying and thats that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City