Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best culture, food, and quality of life?
Chicago 140 31.25%
New York 194 43.30%
San Francisco 114 25.45%
Voters: 448. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 11:33 AM

605 posts, read 1,846,714 times

Advertisements

And i love dementor never denied he is eurous1
dementor if you actually do live in chicago, i doubt anyone will miss you when you leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 11:35 AM

633 posts, read 1,446,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
And i love dementor never denied he is eurous1
dementor if you actually do live in chicago, i doubt anyone will miss you when you leave.
He doesn't. He lives in White Plains, NY. I made a thread about it. Join it and vote in the poll!

Old 05-10-2009, 11:46 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,299,941 times
Quote:
Food: it depends what you like: SF focuses on simple food with the best ingredients, chicago is more innovative, and nyc is more formal (im talking about high end restaurants).
I have never read a more simplistic review of SF, NY and Chicago cuisine.
OF course it is nonsense as SF (CA in general) and NY cuisine is the most innovative in the US. Chicago is still many many lightyears behind.
Unless you are into hotdogs

Old 05-10-2009, 12:27 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,685,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntremaine View Post
You got it backwards.

Food in SF surpasses Chicago.

Quality of life in Chicago surpasses SF. (less crowded, better for families)
Never before have I seen so many poor attempts at understanding quality or culture than on this board.

Chicago has its reputation as the food capital of the United States because the world's most innovative restaurants are located there. The fusion scene is a purely Chicago thing; most classical dishes that are now a mainstay of fine cuisine were invented in Chicago. The best chefs in the nation are all Chicago chefs.

You are nothing in the culinary world unless you have cred in Chicago.

With respect to art, oh... Let me spread some education to those who have apparently never purchased art.

I don't care how many starving artists your city has crammed into substandard housing. Fine quality standards exist for art, and they are both objective and universal. When you buy "art", you do so by attending a showing that is put on by a name you trust. Sotheby's and Christie's most important events are in Chicago for reason-- the art scene in unparalleled outside Berlin. New York has a billion artists and they all suck. The scene is highly competitive, and you "win" by selling the most at the highest price for "being" someone.

San Francisco, by comparison, has an extreme paucity of fine art. It is imported from, yes, Chicago.

If I had a desire to purchase works of art to decorate a home with, I would contact a broker in New York and in five minutes he'd be on the phone with someone in Chicago. The requisition always works that way.

Make of it what you will, but Chicago tops in all these categories. Art, especially performing art, is never better than what you find in Chicago. While New York is giving us Lady Gaga from Tisch (and thank you dearly for that, New York) Chicago is the only place in the United States where actors are trained to standards presentable in England or Canada.

San Francisco is home to a lot of very monied people, but the spirit of the city was not built on old-world standards of quality you find in New York or Chicago. And speaking on those standards, only Chicago has improved upon them. I find it remarkable how Chicago has consistently maintained the old with the new: fusion with fine dining, towering skyscrapers of glass and steel against the older, more gothic buildings.

So, my answer: Chicago.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:35 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,598,977 times
coldwine, good post. I usually agree with you but my personal experience SF wins in the food realm, though Chicago has more variety. I guess it is just a matter of what you eat most... I eat a ton of sushi/thai/vietnamese/chinese/indian type restuarants on the more healthy and light side so it is subjected to that. Chicago however does have better indian AND thai restaurants and several other cuisines that barely exist in SF. I like SF better for sushi, vietnamese, korean, chinese. I eat sushi way more than anything else. I'd say out of 10 times eating out, 5 of those are usually sushi. For me Chicago has an inherent disadvantage in this arena because it is inland. As far as eating at home, the quality of produce in SF consistently is unmatched ...not IN sf proper...but in the bay area.

Chicago blows away SF on art and acting though.

I also think just as good Mexican can be found in Chicago... but this one always gets beaten down by the SF crowd... The mexican in Chicago is off the beaten path though not anywhere near downtown or the north side, where in SF it is more accessible to most locals AND tourists.

For me there is too much to like about both cities, you have to get down to very small details that most people don't care about, though I know your experience in the Bay wasn't that good. If you are critical of either there is always a backlash. I don't think there is anything inherently BAD about either, but they do their own things better, so do other cities. People who are all about one specific city sometimes fail to see that.

Last edited by grapico; 05-10-2009 at 12:49 PM..

Old 05-10-2009, 12:37 PM

3,647 posts, read 8,339,796 times
imo hotdogs are the $h!t. Mas23 aint into escargo and all that fancy stuff. When they serve the food it's like on a big old plate and theres so much sauce but the real food is the size of my thumb.

btw i was responding to dem. fyi

Old 05-10-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Chicago has its reputation as the food capital of the United States because the world's most innovative restaurants are located there. The fusion scene is a purely Chicago thing; most classical dishes that are now a mainstay of fine cuisine were invented in Chicago. The best chefs in the nation are all Chicago chefs. .
Chicago as the US capital of food? LOL. According to whom? Midwestern housewifes? Oprah? LMAO
What are the names of those famous Chicago dishes? What are the names of those famous Chicago chefs... Substance, please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I don't care how many starving artists your city has crammed into substandard housing. Fine quality standards exist for art, and they are both objective and universal. When you buy "art", you do so by attending a showing that is put on by a name you trust. Sotheby's and Christie's most important events are in Chicago for reason-- the art scene in unparalleled outside Berlin. New York has a billion artists and they all suck.
And we do not care how many pompous claims you can spit. Chicago is non-existant on the cultural map of the United States. All artist have allready left for the coast, that's simply where the market is. Thank God in professional sport quality is easily quantifiable othwerwise we would hear about the great Cubs and Bears for the rest of our lives.

PS. I can't wait to get out of thise dellusion, conceited land of Chicago. Nobody who is anybody ever wants to move here for obvious reasons (Chicago is at best mediocre) yet they will claim their superiority to almost any other place and any possible area.

Last edited by dementor; 05-10-2009 at 02:59 PM..

Old 05-10-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
imo hotdogs are the $h!t. Mas23 aint into escargo and all that fancy stuff. When they serve the food it's like on a big old plate and theres so much sauce but the real food is the size of my thumb.

btw i was responding to dem. fyi
At least you are honest. Stick to your hotdogs.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:53 PM

605 posts, read 1,846,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
I have never read a more simplistic review of SF, NY and Chicago cuisine.
OF course it is nonsense as SF (CA in general) and NY cuisine is the most innovative in the US. Chicago is still many many lightyears behind.
Unless you are into hotdogs
uhuh you don't think alinea is innovative. But then you probably don't get out much. And i said i liked SF food better anyways. Chefs in Sf don't really do crazy sciency stuff, because the ingredients are sooo good, they just want to serve them simply. Like chez panisse is just as much shopping as cooking (i know this is in berkely).
But then again, you've probably never heard of either of these, as you just eat at your local bob evan's in white plains NY!!!

Old 05-10-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
uhuh you don't think alinea is innovative. But then you probably don't get out much. And i said i liked SF food better anyways. Chefs in Sf don't really do crazy sciency stuff, because the ingredients are sooo good, they just want to serve them simply. Like chez panisse is just as much shopping as cooking (i know this is in berkely).
But then again, you've probably never heard of either of these, as you just eat at your local bob evan's in white plains NY!!!

LMAO. Allnea is one of the BEST restaurants on the planet but then again how many seats re there? How many people can dine daily at this location daily? How many times can you dine at the same restaurant?

Of course there are fine restaurants in Chicago but we are talking about overall quality and choise of different types of cuisine and in this respect Chicago is very, very poor. For one thing Chicago is infested with a plethora of souless franchises as opposed to New York food culture which celebrates local businesses, big, smaller and really small mom-and-pop operations that often times suprise with incredible quality...

Keep in mind, besides big chain Pizza-Uno which is hardly an example of great cuisine there are no Chicago based restaurants operating in New York but New York's Wollensky and Smith succesfully operates in Chicago.
Check it out sometime.

PS. Where did you get that White Plains thing from? White Plains is a great town and I could see myself living there but no, I do not live nor I am from White Plains. Give it rest now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City