Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 01:19 PM

210 posts, read 845,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Detroit is a segregated metro, not the city. A city with 80% of one race can not be consider segregated.
Can you explain?? I think I got what you are saying by metro and not the city proper. The city being so predominantly one race in the city limits is just all the more reason that it is so segregated. At
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 01:21 PM

210 posts, read 845,839 times
At least that is what one would think.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:52 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,356 times
You can't always choose the place you want to live.
But their are small things you can do, things that perhaps
your not aware of, that can greatly improve the
liveability and reputation of your neighborhoods.
I have a short list of suggestions to get you started.

Don't shoot the ice cream man.
(This includes rob, assault and light on fire. This also goes for the pizza guy.)
Do something about the accumulation of litter and bodies on sidewalks and streets.
It looks bad and can lead to clogged storm drains. Not to mention it's not very 'green'.
Store employees incased in bulletproof glass sends the wrong message. Stop shooting them too.
I know that change can be unsetteling. Even frightening. Think of the return of the long lost ice cream mans jingle as your 'yes we can' neighborhood anthem.
The official theme song for the end of segregration.
We can only hope that some day when our great grandchildren hear
the first few notes of the 'Ice creams mans' song that their first
thoughts will not be of popcicles. But of something greater.
And that their first words will not be "hey dad, gimme a dollar'.
But will be "YES WE CAN".

Yes we can !
Not shoot the ice cream man !
Yes we can !

Old 04-09-2009, 02:14 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,203,513 times
As far as Metros go, Detroit. /Thread

Now if you're just counting the city proper? Chicago. /Thread

Just wait for the thread to turn into "OMG ALL CITIEZ ARE SEGREGATED 'CUZ LIKE NO 1 GETZ ALONG LOL".

Old 04-09-2009, 02:24 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
The Census has lists of segregation indices. I think Milwaukee, Detroit, and Gary were near the top of the list the last time I saw it published. New York was just before Chicago. Basically, any old northern city with a long history of racial diversity is heavily segregated, and there really isn't a huge amount of difference between any of them in terms of segregation. I have to laugh at New Yorkers pointing fingers because their city is always near the top of the list.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:56 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,200,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_810 View Post
Can you explain?? I think I got what you are saying by metro and not the city proper. The city being so predominantly one race in the city limits is just all the more reason that it is so segregated. At
Like how can a city that is over 80% of one race be segregated? Thats like saying Salt Lake City is segregated, since its mostly white. There's hardly any other races in the city for it to be qualified as a real segregated city. The few whites and hispanics that live in Detroit most likely live in a neighborhood that is more than 50% black(with the exceptions of Mexicantown and Greektown), since there is only a 20% other population. That is why I say Detroit metro is segregated, since Detroit(city limits) is mostly black, while an overwhelm majority of the suburbs are white. Chicago, NYC, and Milwaukee are segregated cities, because they have a diverse racial/ethnic demographic in the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City