Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 06:22 PM

79 posts, read 536,482 times

Advertisements

which do you all think is the most segregated city. I have heard many people who said how segregated chicago is. some even say new york city is segregated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 06:24 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times
St. Louis is pretty segregated...as well as pretty much anywhere else in the Midwest you can think of. Kansas City, Detroit, the Twin Cities, Cleveland, Chicago, and Cincinnati I would all say are segregated. I don't know if Indy and Columbus are, but I'd expect them to be. Segregated housing was a fairly common thing in all these cities during the Great Migration if I recall.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:25 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times
Milwaukee. Moderately segregated and each race has his place in the city.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:26 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I don't know if Indy and Columbus are, but I'd expect them to be.
Well, you'd be expecting incorrectly. They aren't.

Newer cities tend to be more integrated. They have to be.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:31 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
I think New York and Detroit are the most segregated cities by far. Drive on 8 mile road in Detroit, or go through some of the neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens, and you will see exactly what I am talking about.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:45 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Phoenix has rather little Black-White segregation.......most for the former are Middle Class and live everywhere.

As for Hispanics: the split does seem to run along skin color lines though; the blanco (White) ones tend to live everywhere whereas the more stereotypical brunet ones tend to self-segregate for various reasons------stemming in part due to Mexican culture 'racial' patterns.

Asians and non Hispanic Native Americans again, they live wherever.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:00 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
Detroit by far!

Most of Michigan's (bigger) cities are segregated. Flint and Saginaw are two more that come to mind.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:23 PM

430 posts, read 1,393,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline887 View Post
which do you all think is the most segregated city. I have heard many people who said how segregated chicago is. some even say new york city is segregated.
Just the city, or the whole metro?

For the city I would say Chicago, I have read Detroit has the most segregated metro in the country as far as Black-white segregation goes. now with income segregation I believe it is Milwaukee for the metro, which also near the top fore race. Most segregated for white non hispanic vs. hispanic, I think I have heard Hartford CT. Atlanta Georgia is highly segregated in the city itself (though becoming somewhat less so), but the metro as a whole is no where near the top, with only high-moderate segregation.

The city of Atlanta itself has the one of the wealthiest white populations in the metro area, along with some of the northern suburbs. But most affluent blacks live farther out to the south and east. the city and inner suburbs black population is much poorer, and most lower income whites live in the farther southern or eastern suburbs, to the west in general, or in exurbia and the far outer suburbs.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:28 PM

430 posts, read 1,393,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Well, you'd be expecting incorrectly. They aren't.

Newer cities tend to be more integrated. They have to be.
Those cities are both new and old, -they do both have a long history. And no, they are not nearly as segregated as a region like Detroit, but hardly is either exactly well integrated either. Even much newer cities have moderate segregation, -very few metro areas have truly low segregation. It basically ranges from low-moderate, to extremely high, with high moderate, being the most common.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:46 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times
It should be noted that segregation these days is by choice and free will of each individual. Apparently segregation was enforced for such a long time that even when they finally said it was illegal, people apparantly didn't want to give it up. we enforced it for almost 100 years and it basically sunk into society as being natural now. And I don't see it ending anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City