Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city feels the least segregated?
Chicago 9 10.71%
Detroit 3 3.57%
Boston 20 23.81%
Atlanta 45 53.57%
Baltimore 1 1.19%
New Orleans 5 5.95%
St. Louis 1 1.19%
Milwaukee 0 0%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 09:39 PM

195 posts, read 195,793 times

Advertisements

All of the cities listed have a history of being quite segregated and not well mixed. Which of these cities metropolitan areas currently feels integrated and where everyone regardless of race tends to get along. I'd imagine all of these cities have at least a few diverse suburbs. Which one has the most though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2020, 09:55 PM

21,650 posts, read 12,808,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roanoke2 View Post
All of the cities listed have a history of being quite segregated and not well mixed. Which of these cities metropolitan areas currently feels integrated and where everyone regardless of race tends to get along. I'd imagine all of these cities have at least a few diverse suburbs. Which one has the most though?
Integrated and Diverse are two very different things. Which one are you asking?

Either way id say Atlanta but i don't know that it ever had the "segregated rep" like that.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:16 PM

8,354 posts, read 5,517,461 times
Of those, Atlanta definitely feels the least segregated.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:28 PM

9,905 posts, read 6,617,073 times
Of these, I’d say Either Atlanta or Chicago. Like any major city, both will have its segregated areas, but as a whole I felt both to be in the right direction for integration.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraguaneroswag View Post
of these, i’d say either atlanta or chicago. Like any major city, both will have its segregated areas, but as a whole i felt both to be in the right direction for integration.
chicago??

Old 11-16-2020, 11:01 PM

9,905 posts, read 6,617,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
chicago??
Yes. And to the point of the thread, chicago is extremely known for its historic segregation but has went a longer way than most of these places.

The problem I have with calculating integration is that most cities are becoming very integrated in their booming or professional areas. The segregated areas that even the most integrated places face are the historic black or Mexican/Central American neighborhoods. Even in Detroit, it not extremely segregated in the city centers. But go to the hood and it’s a different story

Old 11-17-2020, 04:35 AM

16,708 posts, read 29,546,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

Either way id say Atlanta but i don't know that it ever had the "segregated rep" like that.
^^^^^^
This is the answer right here.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:13 AM

4,401 posts, read 4,300,828 times
Frankly I don't think Atlanta belongs on this list. It may have been somewhat segregated at one point but it really isn't anymore. At least not to the degree of these other cities.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Yes. And to the point of the thread, chicago is extremely known for its historic segregation but has went a longer way than most of these places.

The problem I have with calculating integration is that most cities are becoming very integrated in their booming or professional areas. The segregated areas that even the most integrated places face are the historic black or Mexican/Central American neighborhoods. Even in Detroit, it not extremely segregated in the city centers. But go to the hood and it’s a different story
Chicago is not integrated at all. And it’s also less diverse than other metros on here. It’s bottom of one category middle of another. Need we pull up the racial dot map for Chicago? If anything it’s made the absolute least progress on here.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt Baltimore, Detroit and Boston have made the most integration inroads since ~1990. Chicago has made extremely little and there are stats to prove that.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Frankly I don't think Atlanta belongs on this list. It may have been somewhat segregated at one point but it really isn't anymore. At least not to the degree of these other cities.
This. It doesn’t belong on here at all.

I don’t really feel New Orleans does either-it may be segregated but it’s not especially bad nor is it even diverse. It’s white/black. Adding southern cities dilutes the list in general because their development pattern and history are too divergent from northern and rust belt cities. Cities that grew at totally different times. There’s no point of comparison between Atlanta and Boston as metros when it comes to diversity and integration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City