Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city feels the least segregated?
Chicago 9 10.71%
Detroit 3 3.57%
Boston 20 23.81%
Atlanta 45 53.57%
Baltimore 1 1.19%
New Orleans 5 5.95%
St. Louis 1 1.19%
Milwaukee 0 0%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 09:30 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Yeah. Even the most “integrated city of Vegas” has large continuous hispanic areas. People fly into Vegas, go to the strip, maybe downtown and possibly take an Uber to an event or festival somewhere else so people won’t notice It there as much.
I'm curious about Vegas myself because from my limited observations of the city, it does not seem "integrated". I spent a bit of time in the non-touristy areas and I didn't really see any intermingling, but I wasn't there long enough to make an accurate judgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
NYC is so ethnically diverse, and its population is so mobile via public transit it doesn't feel that segregated to me, but I know in reality-it is. But in cities like NYC its not always just about racial its about ethnic-and NYC is a beautiful ethnic tapestry.
To me it is segregated and isn't at the same time ; if you're in somewhere like Rosedale, Queens you'll see pretty much nothing but black people. But at the trendy nightlife places in lower Manhattan and North Brooklyn, you generally see a mix of all different people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 09:39 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I'm curious about Vegas myself because from my limited observations of the city, it does not seem "integrated". I spent a bit of time in the non-touristy areas and I didn't really see any intermingling, but I wasn't there long enough to make an accurate judgement.
It’s “integrated” simply because America is so segregated. People call it America’s most integrated city now but as mentioned in other threads, this is more of a knock on how bad America’s segregation is. Theres plenty of extensive hispanic areas. And there’re also mostly white areas.

The one thing I’d say Vegas has that makes it particularly integrated compared to other cities is that there aren’t many predominately black ghettos. There’s majority black areas but even in other “integrated” metros like Houston and DFW, there’s hoods that are predominately black. West Las Vegas was once a predominately black ghetto at one point (still is majority black), but the gambling industry changed this quickly. Which was a big problem at the time.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:

To me it is segregated and isn't at the same time ; if you're in somewhere like Rosedale, Queens you'll see pretty much nothing but black people. But at the trendy nightlife places in lower Manhattan and North Brooklyn, you generally see a mix of all different people.
Most trendy nightlife areas are well integrated. One thing that surprises me about Houston though, Midtown/Main St, you see crowds of different races, but there’s specific bars/clubs where you’ll mostly see blacks, then some where you’ll see almost only Latinos and then some where you’ll almost only see whites. Then in the suburban areas, you’ll see Asians having their own hangout spots. Of course, you see plenty of mixed crowds. But there’s a particular high amount of ethnic based clubs here.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Most trendy nightlife areas are well integrated. One thing that surprises me about Houston though, Midtown/Main St, you see crowds of different races, but there’s specific bars/clubs where you’ll mostly see blacks, then some where you’ll see almost only Latinos and then some where you’ll almost only see whites. Then in the suburban areas, you’ll see Asians having their own hangout spots. Of course, you see plenty of mixed crowds. But there’s a particular high amount of ethnic based clubs here.
That's totally normal. In NYC for instance, a club that revolves around dancehall is generally going to have an overwhelmingly black crowd.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
It’s “integrated” simply because America is so segregated. People call it America’s most integrated city now but as mentioned in other threads, this is more of a knock on how bad America’s segregation is. Theres plenty of extensive hispanic areas. And there’re also mostly white areas.

The one thing I’d say Vegas has that makes it particularly integrated compared to other cities is that there aren’t many predominately black ghettos. There’s majority black areas but even in other “integrated” metros like Houston and DFW, there’s hoods that are predominately black. West Las Vegas was once a predominately black ghetto at one point (still is majority black), but the gambling industry changed this quickly. Which was a big problem at the time.
Doesn't Vegas still have the usual many public schools with no white kids?

Old 11-17-2020, 10:00 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:

Vegas doesn’t seem to have a ton of social group interracial mingling, but when I went I saw a very even mix of people out on the trip, Fremont street experience and many parts of downtown Vegas. Summerlin and Henderson area whiter areas but thats still means ~60% white. There’s a large Hispanic glut in the east side but it runs concurrent with working class white people in Whitney. More middle class Filipino and black people north and northeast, and then spring valley and enterprise are really evenly mixed.

It’s physically residentially integrated. I stayed at in air bib out in residential suburban Vegas and saw incredible diverse sets of families. People of all races just seem super comfortable around one another and respectful of people space and culture in general. It’s just a very laid back simple vibe and I think the populace is so transient and transplant heavy and the areas is so new-it’s just baggage free and genuinely diverse almost entirely throughout the metro.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Doesn't Vegas still have the usual many public schools with no white kids?
Yea but it doesn’t have many neighborhoods (if any) like that. I mean don’t many schools in Houston have no white kids? Isn’t that most major cities? The only truly diverse integrated big city that might not have a lot of those <2% school would probably be Sacramento.

White people have fewer kids and are more likely to opt out of urban public schools. That’s everywhere

Old 11-17-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea but it doesn’t have many neighborhoods (if any) like that. I mean don’t many schools in Houston have no white kids? Isn’t that most major cities? The only truly diverse integrated big city that might not have a lot of those <2% school would probably be Sacramento.

White people have fewer kids and are more likely to opt out of urban public schools. That’s everywhere
But that’s why integration in America is a joke. When tour most integrated cities are still very segregated. Those schools have no or almost no white kids bwcausw their neighborhoods don’t either.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:15 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Atlanta and Boston.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
But that’s why integration in America is a joke. When tour most integrated cities are still very segregated. Those schools have no or almost no white kids bwcausw their neighborhoods don’t either.
Okay but we live in America-everything’s relative. It doesn’t make the school any less integrated. A lotta big cities are less than 20% within the their youth population-we still call them integrated though.

Las Vegas is ~31% white in its youth population and 30% metro wide. The city demographics mirror the metro-not only in the youth population but in the adult population. Good sign of integration IMO.

Boston is ~17% white in its 5-17 year old population and ~54% metro wide. This a lower white youth population than NYC or Philadelphia. Despite Boston being a whiter metro-that’s why Boston is on this list and NYC and Philly arent. It has serious problem with integration.

Problems Las Vegas really doesn’t have. White people enter Boston for college-stay for a decade and then they flee Boston when they have children in Las Vegas they don’t-those are just the natural demographics of the area.

Look at the divergent racial age demographics for each city and you’ll see Vegas is a more naturally progression why Boston is flooded by white people hopping in and out of the city when it convenient for them in life. That’s racial segregation in action.

Las Vegas: https://statisticalatlas.com/place/N...-and-Ethnicity

Boston: https://statisticalatlas.com/place/M...-and-Ethnicity

Philly: https://statisticalatlas.com/place/P...-and-Ethnicity

New York: https://statisticalatlas.com/place/N...-and-Ethnicity

As you can see here Boston has the lowest white youth population of any of these cities.

Boston Public Schools demographic info 2019/2020, this includes racial demographic for kids in charters, public and out of BOS entirely: https://www.bostonpublicschools.org/...9-20_FINAL.pdf

https://www.tbf.org/news-and-insight...ators-20200122

Boston fares well compared to The cities in here but compared to a city like Las Vegas idly gets thrashed. So I don’t take the Las Vegas has few white kids thing all to seriously. There’s barely any private schools in the whole Las Vegas Valley to put white kids into anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City