Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston or Los Angeles
Boston 140 51.28%
L.A. 133 48.72%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 02:19 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,755 times

Advertisements

Boston does have a little thing called weather.

Too much of a good thing isn't always good. Like too much 70-80 degree weather. Homogeneous weather is boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 02:30 PM

14 posts, read 49,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
The reasons listed for Boston being a better city are all non-Californians. When "weather/climate" are considered better in Boston than one clearly sees that this is not a comparison of cities but, rather, another anti-California rant by MiddleWestern & East Coast posters. [whatever gets you off
Why can't people from Los Angeles just get over the fact that most people don't give a damn about LA? LA is certainly a unique place, and I enjoyed living there, but trust me, people around the country I've spoken to don't necessarily hate LA but just don't care for/about it. Some people prefer four seasons, believe it or not, so someone who thinks Boston has better weather is not entirely crazy. People aren't voting against LA in spite. In spite of what?

As we can see from all our polls, numerous "favorite cities"/"top cities" lists from Conde Nast etc Los Angeles is always somewhere in the middle or the bottom and the top are always New York, San Francisco and Chicago... And that reflects all the polls that have been conducted on this forum (that I have seen)

For the record, I voted for Los Angeles because I've lived there for seven years and I'm familiar with it. I also like how much larger and diverse LA is compared to Boston.

Since I've lived in Manhattan, I've driven to Boston twice and its a nice place but the amentities are just lacking compared to, NYC and LA.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:38 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
What you call weather, I call unbearable. Sorry, CA is unbeliveably spoiled when it comes to climate.

Quote:
Too much of a good thing isn't always good. Like too much 70-80 degree weather. Homogeneous weather is boring.
Varied but horrible is way worse than homogeneous but perfect.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:45 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,303,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post

For those who like to bicycle almost everyday (and for others who enjoy other types of outdoor sports), there can never be too many 70-80 degree days.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:51 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNY10013 View Post
Why can't people from Los Angeles just get over the fact that most people don't give a damn about LA? LA is certainly a unique place, and I enjoyed living there, but trust me, people around the country I've spoken to don't necessarily hate LA but just don't care for/about it. Some people prefer four seasons, believe it or not, so someone who thinks Boston has better weather is not entirely crazy. People aren't voting against LA in spite. In spite of what?

As we can see from all our polls, numerous "favorite cities"/"top cities" lists from Conde Nast etc Los Angeles is always somewhere in the middle or the bottom and the top are always New York, San Francisco and Chicago... And that reflects all the polls that have been conducted on this forum (that I have seen)

For the record, I voted for Los Angeles because I've lived there for seven years and I'm familiar with it. I also like how much larger and diverse LA is compared to Boston.

Since I've lived in Manhattan, I've driven to Boston twice and its a nice place but the amentities are just lacking compared to, NYC and LA.
Like yourself I have also lived on the other coast. Though living in NYC for 3 yrs must be quite different than Boston. And, unfortunately, I have never been to Boston other than a flight layover at the Boston airport.

The point is that many posters from places like Chicago & New York seem to be virulently anti-LA & anti-California so any opinion is buried in some sort of loathing for the West Coast.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:17 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,755 times
Quote:
The point is that many posters from places like Chicago & New York seem to be virulently anti-LA & anti-California so any opinion is buried in some sort of loathing for the West Coast.
I don't hate the west cost, in fact most of the cities I want to visit are there and I'm from Chicagoland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
What you call weather, I call unbearable. Sorry, CA is unbeliveably spoiled when it comes to climate.

Varied but horrible is way worse than homogeneous but perfect.
The varied is what makes it great, I can take the cold well I'd rather have 20 degrees than 100 degrees any day.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:24 PM

14 posts, read 49,993 times
Quote:
Like yourself I have also lived on the other coast. Though living in NYC for 3 yrs must be quite different than Boston. And, unfortunately, I have never been to Boston other than a flight layover at the Boston airport.

What Chicago and NY posters are you talking about? There are probably 3 Chicagoans that I've noticed and I'm not so sure there are even any other NY posters other than me (and I think a dude from Bronx) compared to the many Califonia posters I've noticed on here so I don't see your arguement.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:39 PM

389 posts, read 1,075,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008 View Post
In honor of Lakers Vs. Celtics, which city do you think is better and why?
Boston. Reason: It isn't the nation's biggest parking lot.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:02 PM

322 posts, read 1,103,325 times
BOSTON because it's on the east coast, Period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-07-2008, 06:52 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,918,611 times
For me, it's a draw.

Boston has a better layout (density) and more historical culture. But a lot of the people seem...uptight and prone to high stress levels.

LA is a sprawling city, which can be bothersome. But Southern CA just has this great mellow vibe...everyone always seems so happy and relaxed. Plus, there's always the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City