Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston or Los Angeles
Boston 140 51.28%
L.A. 133 48.72%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 04:19 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,682,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
I think you have it backwards. It has more people because it covers more ground.
and which came first, the chicken or the egg?

LA has a LOT more people and more things to do and see, get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 05:05 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,356,827 times
- LA is image-obsessed

- Boston is one of many havens for a new breed of "real city" snob that denounces the image-obsessed while also being just that. Scarves and thick-rimmed glasses are just as fake as boob jobs nowadays. Some people could use a little reality stirred into their lattes.

Give me sunshine, mountains and the admittedly vain over "charming" old streets and "culture" that barely extends beyond the facade of a decaying building.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:23 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,532,478 times
The city of Boston, is proably better than the City of LA, if you are talking just within each others city limits, particulary with higher education and less crime.
However, the Greater LA area vs. Boston, well, then I would have to give the definite edge to Greater LA, vs. Greater Boston.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:28 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,920,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
and which came first, the chicken or the egg?

LA has a LOT more people and more things to do and see, get over it.
I don't need to get over anything because I agree LA has more people and more stuff to do. However, the only reason the city proper has so many more people is because it so so much larger area-wise. the metro area is a different story- LA is much bigger.

LA is 469 sqaure miles. Boston is 50. Soooo I will add cities next to Boston until the area is equal to LAs and see what the population is. probably still slightly less than LA but we will see..... (this is tedious so I'm not gunna do it all right now)

But yes, we all know LA has more people. Nobody was arguing that. It's still awful

Old 06-06-2008, 05:31 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,920,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
- Boston is one of many havens for a new breed of "real city" snob that denounces the image-obsessed while also being just that. Scarves and thick-rimmed glasses are just as fake as boob jobs nowadays. Some people could use a little reality stirred into their lattes.
have you ever been to Boston? outside harvard sq?

Old 06-06-2008, 05:49 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,682,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
I don't need to get over anything because I agree LA has more people and more stuff to do. However, the only reason the city proper has so many more people is because it so so much larger area-wise. the metro area is a different story- LA is much bigger.

LA is 469 sqaure miles. Boston is 50. Soooo I will add cities next to Boston until the area is equal to LAs and see what the population is. probably still slightly less than LA but we will see..... (this is tedious so I'm not gunna do it all right now)

But yes, we all know LA has more people. Nobody was arguing that. It's still awful
yes and we all know Boston is a denser city than LA, nobody was arguing that either.....It's still better

Old 06-06-2008, 06:37 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,443,132 times
I can predict how this will go. A slight majority of people on this sub forum DO NOT like Los Angeles. Los Angeles would probably even loose to Cheyenne, Wyoming. Just my observations, but has LA ever won a comparison thread here? Ever?

Old 06-06-2008, 08:25 PM

250 posts, read 336,275 times
Boston has four seasons, LA does not. Boston has the Celt... hey wait, I'm a Laker fan!

Old 06-06-2008, 08:27 PM

250 posts, read 336,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
yes and we all know Boston is a denser city than LA, nobody was arguing that either.....It's still better
I would argue that Boston is better for city-dwellers because of density. It is simply easier to get around on foot (you MUST own a car in LA), not to mention the mass transit system in Boston is superior to LA.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:43 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,547,592 times
its 2 different cultures.... its like comparing prague to rio (ok that's a bit extreme but you get my point)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City