Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 07:46 AM

78 posts, read 437,112 times

Advertisements

I have posted so many questions on this forum, and through all of your answers we have narrowed it down to two places that we are considering relocating to.

We are choosing between Madison and Ithaca. The reasons being that we are not conservative, want a safe place to live, good schools, they are affordable(for the most part), there are a lot of activities, and there is a community sense.

The only downside that we can see is that Ithaca is fairly small and is a good 4 hour drive from a major airport. This is an issue for us,but we can tolerate it if the living is better there.

What are your opinions on deciding between these two places? We are a young family, not a lot of money, but where we currently live is very comparable to the salaries and incomes in these places.

Safety is a big issue. Also, we won't have any family nearby so it's important that we live in a place where it is easy to meet others. I know people have posted that as long as you try you can make friends anywhere, I am one to disagree. Two years in Virginia and we are lucky to see the same families twice in two months.

Please respond. I'm so excited about making a decision.

If you can think of anywhere else we may love, please post. My husband is British and would like a place that has other Brits, but that is not our huge criteria. Just thought I'd see what response we get.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 09:00 AM

534 posts, read 1,594,727 times
I'd be in Madison in a heartbeat. Maybe I'm bias because I'm from Wisconsin, but I love Madison. We are in Iowa now, but drive through Madison when we go home. I'm also a huge Badger fan freak, so that may be biased too..

I find Madison to be very friendly. The farmers market is awesome and can't wait to go again this year. There are some very nice areas to live and even surrounding towns that are minutes from Madison. You aren't far from Milwaukee for a day trip either. Close to the Dells for summer outings as well. I'm not an east coast type of gal, so I would never venture there. I'm midwest all the way.

Wish you luck in whichever you choose. Good Luck!

Old 04-22-2008, 11:13 AM

401 posts, read 2,604,814 times
Ive been to both, Madison many more times than only one visit to Ithaca and I would choose Madison. It is a very pretty city and seems to have more to offer than Ithaca. As for your safety issue, Madison is a very safe city and I think Wisconsin was one of the top 15 safest states in a recent poll. I would definately choose Madison any day

Old 04-22-2008, 11:46 AM

287 posts, read 1,028,005 times
I can't really speak to Madison, but Ithaca is a completely lovely place. It's fun, pretty, there's lots of things to do. It's probably my favorite college town (a least of the ones I've been to). That being said, it is in the middle of nowhere, that 10 sq miles surrounded by reality thing, they're not lying.

There is a small airport in Ithaca, so you can get out that way if need be and by air it's just a hop skip and jump to NYC.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:49 AM

78 posts, read 437,112 times
Thanks for your response. I looked into the local Ithaca airport and it is a fortune to fly in and out of it. I feel as if I'd be better off driving four hours to NYC myself. Other than that, I agree it seems great. Once again, thanks for your message. I love how quickly everyone is to reply.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:04 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,706,962 times
I'm biased too- but would choose Madison. It's not isolated- you can get to Milwaukee, Chicago, Minneapolis if you need a bigger city. I love Wisconsin, winters and all. You'll have hefty winters and high taxes to deal with in either city.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:43 PM

409 posts, read 1,505,175 times
Madison all the way. Liberal, family oriented, low crime, huge university, big enough city and very close to Wisc Dells, Milwaukee and Chicago. What more could you ask for?

Old 04-22-2008, 03:19 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,609,576 times
Maybe I'm bias because I'm from Wisconsin, but I've got a friend who's been to Ithaca a few times and says its nice, but he said Madison is a better choice.

Madison Features
  • Dane County Regional Airport
  • Has received many awards, from Best teeth in America to best outdoors city.
  • Many lakes, If I remember right there is five? Monona, Mendota, Waubesa, and I forgot the other two.
  • 1.5 to 2 hours from Chicago.
  • 1 hour from Milwaukee
  • 4 hours from Minneapolis
  • 45 minutes to the Dells
Living only half an hour away. Madison never seems to bore me, whether it's Camp Randall watching the Wisconsin Badgers on a crisp Saturday afternoon in
October. Or a nice summer day on the lake. Madison also has a award winning farmers market.

Don't get me wrong New England is nice, but I think Madison blows the doors off of Ithaca, NY.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:46 PM

287 posts, read 1,028,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukusmom View Post
Thanks for your response. I looked into the local Ithaca airport and it is a fortune to fly in and out of it.
The plane ticket to Ithaca for my brother's graduation agrees. I don't know that they're any cheaper, but there are also airports in Syracuse, Rochester and Albany.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong New England is nice, but I think Madison blows the doors off of Ithaca, NY.
New England?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:28 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,609,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedripeplum View Post
The plane ticket to Ithaca for my brother's graduation agrees. I don't know that they're any cheaper, but there are also airports in Syracuse, Rochester and Albany.

New England?

I meant the New England region as a whole is nice, but in my own opinion Madison is better than Ithaca. Isn't New York considered the New England Region of the U.S.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City