Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:18 PM

287 posts, read 1,030,993 times

Advertisements

New England is Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut, not the whole Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 11:29 PM

34 posts, read 37,031 times
Liberals who are afraid of crime...lol. Gotta love it

Old 04-23-2008, 12:07 AM

287 posts, read 1,030,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
Liberals who are afraid of crime...lol. Gotta love it
Yes you're so right! Liberals really do love crime!

Whatever troll.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:59 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,061,005 times
No, New York is not in fact considered part of New England. New England is a very distinctive and unique part of the nation-it consists of 6 states; Northern New England is Vermont; New Hampshire & Maine.

Southern New England is Connecticut, Rhode Island & Massachusetts.

Upstate New York and Ithaca in the finger lakes region is also unique- but cannot be considered in anyway part of New England. Upstate NY Generally can be called part of the northeast.

New England has a unique 'house form & Culture' based on patterns of settlement, urban design and architecture that is different form New York State, PA and the rest of the north east and middle Atlantic.

That being so Ithaca is a charming unique town that offers much- with lower housing prices then New England. Its weakness is a distance from a large airport, harsh winters with lake affect snows and distance from the ocean.

Last edited by skytrekker; 04-23-2008 at 07:18 AM..

Old 04-23-2008, 08:28 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,646,797 times
Sorry for confusing them regions.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:03 AM

78 posts, read 437,719 times
There are always one of you on here, that have to make some comment like this.....(Regarding the liberals liking crime comment.) ugh

Old 01-31-2009, 10:38 AM

9,215 posts, read 13,321,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukusmom View Post
I have posted so many questions on this forum, and through all of your answers we have narrowed it down to two places that we are considering relocating to.

We are choosing between Madison and Ithaca. The reasons being that we are not conservative, want a safe place to live, good schools, they are affordable(for the most part), there are a lot of activities, and there is a community sense.

The only downside that we can see is that Ithaca is fairly small and is a good 4 hour drive from a major airport. This is an issue for us,but we can tolerate it if the living is better there.

What are your opinions on deciding between these two places? We are a young family, not a lot of money, but where we currently live is very comparable to the salaries and incomes in these places.

Safety is a big issue. Also, we won't have any family nearby so it's important that we live in a place where it is easy to meet others. I know people have posted that as long as you try you can make friends anywhere, I am one to disagree. Two years in Virginia and we are lucky to see the same families twice in two months.

Please respond. I'm so excited about making a decision.

If you can think of anywhere else we may love, please post. My husband is British and would like a place that has other Brits, but that is not our huge criteria. Just thought I'd see what response we get.

Thanks so much.
Old post Ukusmom - you probably made your plans already but I wanted to add a few points about Ithaca

Madison, Wisconsin as some people already mentioned is more centrally located near Chicago & Milwaukee. Wisconsin is a pretty nice state also.

Ithaca on the other hand is a smaller city & is more off the beaten track. Still Ithaca is relatively close to I-81 and the recent upgrading of Route 17 to I-86 should also help a little. Syracuse and Binghamton are less than a hour away. Ithaca is also home to Ithaca College, Cornell University and the nearby University of Cortland.

But the beautiful setting of where Ithaca is located is hard to beat. Located in the Finger Lakes area with its rolling farmlands, Ithaca sits at the end of beautiful Cayuga Lake.

The town is surrounded by waterfalls and mountains. Buttermilk Falls, Robert Treman, Taughannock Falls, Filmore Glen State parks as well as the famous Watkins Glen are all located in Ithaca or nearby. There is skiing at Greek Peak, Toggenburg, Labrador Mountain or Song Mountain. Or go hiking on the North Country Trail at the Finger Lakes National Forest.

So if you like the outdoors I really suggest you really give Ithaca a shot.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:59 AM

9,215 posts, read 13,321,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
No, New York is not in fact considered part of New England. New England is a very distinctive and unique part of the nation-it consists of 6 states; Northern New England is Vermont; New Hampshire & Maine.

Southern New England is Connecticut, Rhode Island & Massachusetts.

Upstate New York and Ithaca in the finger lakes region is also unique- but cannot be considered in anyway part of New England. Upstate NY Generally can be called part of the northeast.

New England has a unique 'house form & Culture' based on patterns of settlement, urban design and architecture that is different form New York State, PA and the rest of the north east and middle Atlantic.

That being so Ithaca is a charming unique town that offers much- with lower housing prices then New England. Its weakness is a distance from a large airport, harsh winters with lake affect snows and distance from the ocean.
While New England is certainly different from other parts of the United States to say it has a unique house form & culture is at best an exaggeration.

Last edited by LINative; 01-31-2009 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City