Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2020, 10:52 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
We have 101 black colleges and universities and thousands of K-12 schools that are 95%+ black. Hundreds of counties that are 65% + black and tens of thousands of census tracts that are 80%+ black. There are more Black Americans than there are Canadians period.

Black America would be would be the 7th largest black countries in the world.

I'd imagine it's hard for you a white canadian to grasp how all encompassing this reality can be. You think that white American understand black culture-they will tell you, they absolutely don't. Let alone you as a Canadian...

Where is the legislature that can pass laws that African-Americans want, regardless of what other non-black Americans think? A legislature with taxation powers?

Where is the over-arching African-American Department/Ministry of Education, whose authority everyone who lives in Black America is subject to? (Or any other departments/ministries that affect other aspects of their lives?)

The truth is that in terms of governance, Black America exists within the same structure as the rest of the American population, and as such ends up more often than not being subservient to the majority's decision-making. Obviously due to demographics.

You might think that sucks and I might even agree with you. But that's the reality.

French Canada/Quebec is different in that it has its own governance structures for a heck of lot of stuff, and another part of its governance is shared with other Canadians. Flanders in Belgium is like this too as are the Swiss cantons that speak German, French or Italian. Other countries in the world have this is as well.

The absence of this for African-Americans is not due to any inherent shortcoming or flaw on their part - it's just the way history panned out.

But it does make their place within the U.S. different from that of the other groups I mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Native Americans who live in real life sovereign nations and reservations in the plains are more integrated into the US mainstream than French Canadians?

Yeah I know they are referred to as such.

For my money I'd rather have my distinct people exercise authority and power via something like Quebec, Flanders, Ticino or Valais (even if they're just labelled province, region or canton) than I would a so-called "sovereign" Indian Reservation in the United States.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:49 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Where is the legislature that can pass laws that African-Americans want, regardless of what other non-black Americans think? A legislature with taxation powers?

Where is the over-arching African-American Department/Ministry of Education, whose authority everyone who lives in Black America is subject to? (Or any other departments/ministries that affect other aspects of their lives?)

The truth is that in terms of governance, Black America exists within the same structure as the rest of the American population, and as such ends up more often than not being subservient to the majority's decision-making. Obviously due to demographics.

You might think that sucks and I might even agree with you. But that's the reality.

French Canada/Quebec is different in that it has its own governance structures for a heck of lot of stuff, and another part of its governance is shared with other Canadians. Flanders in Belgium is like this too as are the Swiss cantons that speak German, French or Italian. Other countries in the world have this is as well.

The absence of this for African-Americans is not due to any inherent shortcoming or flaw on their part - it's just the way history panned out.

But it does make their place within the U.S. different from that of the other groups I mentioned.
I'll refer you to the Congressional Black Caucus and separate funding for HBCUs as well as affirmative action policies. Keep in mind African Americans govern themselves in counties all over the US. Majority black counties and cities with black county executives and mayor can and do pass laws that neighboring districts don't have a say in. French Canada also exists inside of Canada. Just like Gullah/Geechee nation.

Again, youre talking about a group that for the vast majority of their time in the U was enslaved. And then only got basic civil right 55 years ago. Merely pointing at French Canadian legislature cant account for the drastic historical/economic.social history that has shaped culture. My father and mother literal went to segregated schools and beaches. Not by choice or for cultural preservation.

The First slaves came to what is the present day United state in what was then Spanish Florida in 1525. Until 1965 black did not have full and equal rights with white americans.

That is 440 years of forced differentiation segregation and subordination versus 45 years of relative freedom.

That's Why there's African American Vernacular English,

that's why there's an African American National Flag,

that's why there's an African American National Anthem,

thats why theres an African American Happy Birthday Song

thats why theres HBCUS

that's why some African Americans were sent back to Africa and founded Liberia.

That's why a lot of things-that go just asleep if not much deeper than speaking french over english, being slightly poorer and not the dominant group.

Furthermore the examples of American sovereign nations, native alaskans and hawaiians, the breadth of the black and hispanic populations were not addressed by you.Fact is no mater how you slice it the United States is more diverse than Canada. There's really no objective way to argue otherwise. Its diversity is ore in line with the UK or France (or maybe South Africa) as someone previously said. Furthermore French Canadians can be found in every Province of Canada. They don't all live in Quebec.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:

Again, youre talking about a group that for the vast majority of their time in the U was enslaved. And then only got basic civil right 55 years ago. Merely pointing at French Canadian legislature cant account for the drastic historical/economic.social history that has shaped culture. My father and mother literal went to segregated schools and beaches. Not by choice or for cultural preservation.

The First slaves came to what is the present day United state in what was then Spanish Florida in 1525. Until 1965 black did not have full and equal rights with white americans.

I am highly sympathetic to the African-American "cause". I don't think I've said anything at all that suggests that I am not.

Calling the governance and power structures and relationships that AAs live under "as I see them" isn't a criticism of the people.

Old 02-12-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
That's Why there's African American Vernacular English,

that's why there's an African American National Flag,

that's why there's an African American National Anthem,

thats why theres an African American Happy Birthday Song

thats why theres HBCUS

that's why some African Americans were sent back to Africa and founded Liberia.

That's why a lot of things-that go just asleep if not much deeper than speaking french over english, being slightly poorer and not the dominant group.

French-speaking Canadians have all of this too - and it exists in parallel to whatever Anglo-Canadians have (and sometimes we have stuff that Anglo-Canada doesn't).

In addition to all of those self-governance structures I was talking about.

Old 02-12-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Furthermore French Canadians can be found in every Province of Canada. They don't all live in Quebec.
I know. I am a French Canadian born, raised and educated in the "anglo" provinces of Canada. I've lived in Quebec for a while but I am not originally from here. (Why do you think my English is so good? )

French Canadians outside Quebec often replicate their institutional and governance structure (when possible).

For example, here is the French-language government universal health care network in New Brunswick:

https://www.vitalitenb.ca/

Here is the government-run, French language public school board in Vancouver on Canada's Pacific coast, almost 5000 km or 3000 miles from Quebec.

https://www.ecolesfrancophonescolomb...annique.ca/fr/

Old 02-12-2020, 12:14 PM

1,393 posts, read 860,647 times
Quote:
As is normal in a country with 9 times more people.
So let’s add this up...us has more people of most ethnicities considered to be a majority in Canada and wayyy more people of those ethnicities considered to be a minority in Canada = the us is more ethnically diverse

Old 02-12-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
So let’s add this up...us has more people of most ethnicities considered to be a majority in Canada and wayyy more people of those ethnicities considered to be a minority in Canada = the us is more ethnically diverse
You're trying to have a one-way argument with someone who doesn't care.

Old 02-12-2020, 12:19 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Wait - isn't this thread about homicides?

Old 02-12-2020, 12:21 PM

1,393 posts, read 860,647 times
Quote:
You're trying to have a one-way argument with someone who doesn't care.
It’s actually two way because you keep responding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City