Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 09:30 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I still prefer the beaches on eastern Long Island over Miami.
I like the beaches in LI also. What are some of your reasons to choose it over Miami?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 12:49 AM

2,362 posts, read 777,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I like the beaches in LI also. What are some of your reasons to choose it over Miami?
The beaches throughout the Hamptons are pretty much the same as the beaches you'd find in Miami minus the palm trees and pretty water color (also cold!). No idea what that person is talking about, though I cannot argue personal preference.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:52 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
The beaches throughout the Hamptons are pretty much the same as the beaches you'd find in Miami minus the palm trees and pretty water color (also cold!). No idea what that person is talking about, though I cannot argue personal preference.
Not sure what people are talking about, but I personally like the very sand of the Long Island beaches over the Florida beaches. Or at least the Miami beaches, I have never been to the Gulf Coast beaches.

The sand in the Miami area is made up of tiny pieces of limestone? When I was a teenager back in the 1980s visiting relatives in Florida, I thought it was little sharp pieces of coral reef. But now I think while there are coral reefs near Miami, so much of Florida is underlaid with limestone, so it more likely that the beaches must be made out of limestone.

Whatever it is, the sand does not seem as nice as here on Long Island.

Besides that, some people like the atmosphere of a small town or a undeveloped public beach more than a built up resort area like Miami Beach or Virginia Beach.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
The sand in the Miami area is made up of tiny pieces of limestone? When I was a teenager back in the 1980s visiting relatives in Florida, I thought it was little sharp pieces of coral reef. But now I think while there are coral reefs near Miami, so much of Florida is underlaid with limestone, so it more likely that the beaches must be made out of limestone.
tbh I'm not sure where the sand comes from, I heard various things, including it's dredged from the bottom of Biscayne Bay to being imported from the Bahamas. You're right that the sand is more granular and coarser than in the Hamptons but the difference is not that huge as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
Besides that, some people like the atmosphere of a small town or a undeveloped public beach more than a built up resort area like Miami Beach or Virginia Beach.
You can find more undeveloped beaches as well, heading north in the metro. Deerfield beach for example. I understand that's not really 'Miami' but it's in the metro.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:08 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
tbh I'm not sure where the sand comes from, I heard various things, including it's dredged from the bottom of Biscayne Bay to being imported from the Bahamas. You're right that the sand is more granular and coarser than in the Hamptons but the difference is not that huge as far as I'm concerned.

You can find more undeveloped beaches as well, heading north in the metro. Deerfield beach for example. I understand that's not really 'Miami' but it's in the metro.
Two things. First, its not just the Hamptons, Long Island has other nice beaches with the same fine sand, for instance in central Long Island you have Fire Island. One of my favorite beaches is only about 15 minutes from me, Robert Moses State Park on the western end of Fire Island. Jones Beach is similar but larger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert...k_(Long_Island)

Second, I guess you can count Deerfield Beach, it looks like it is at the northern end of Broward. Btw, looking at a map, I do see two state parks in along the shore in Broward County; Hugh Taylor SP and John Lloyd State Park. Otherwise, I am surprised how densely the Miami-Dade/Broward/Palm Beach shoreline is built up, its more built up then New York or New Jersey.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:24 AM

176 posts, read 174,901 times
Quote:
You don't even need to go that far Cape Florida is only a few minutes from Downtown Miami- just take the Rickenbacker Causeway to Key Biscayne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivjf-_BeoCc

Old 07-13-2018, 04:53 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,510,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Who goes to Baltimore for the beach? Thats what Ocean City is for...
But Baltimore does have several feet of beachfront: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa....5998789?hl=en

Old 07-13-2018, 04:57 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I don't like high density beach communities.
I just think the LI beach communities have so much more character.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:05 PM

18,465 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
They are nothing like the beaches in Miami. Apples and Oranges. I like both, by the way, but it is a completely different landscape. Miami beaches are typically wide and flat, and yes, the palm trees are pretty, but the beaches in The Hamptons have Dunes, with dune grass, and other plant life that makes it even prettier imho.

Yes, if you love the warm water, Miami wins in that category, but the water in the Hamptons warms up in August, and even more so in September. And if you like surfing, the Hamptons wins that category. Especially Ditch Plains Beach in Montauk, but you can find decent surfing in East Hampton and Southampton as well.

I think that both places excel in their own right, and I like to spend time in both. If you want beaches with more of a New England type of feel, The Hamptons are the way to go. Then for of a more tropical type of beach, Miami beaches are great.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
They are nothing like the beaches in Miami. Apples and Oranges. I like both, by the way, but it is a completely different landscape. Miami beaches are typically wide and flat, and yes, the palm trees are pretty, but the beaches in The Hamptons have Dunes, with dune grass, and other plant life that makes it even prettier imho.
To me they look the same - minus water color and palm trees.

Have a look - https://www.google.es/maps/@25.76735...!7i8704!8i4352

Miami Beach also has grass and mounds of sand that I consider a dune. Maybe that picture is not doing it justice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City