Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 06:39 PM

18,465 posts, read 15,247,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
To me they look the same - minus water color and palm trees.

Have a look - https://www.google.es/maps/@25.76735...!7i8704!8i4352

Miami Beach also has grass and mounds of sand that I consider a dune. Maybe that picture is not doing it justice.
I’m sure you can find some grass and mounds, but that is not typical around the tourist beaches. Have you spent much time in both places? I do. I think experiencing them both would show you how different they really are. I have a home on the beach in the Hamptons, and there are local laws that keep people from developing and ruining the natural beauty. In addition to requiring large lots, they also only allow you to build on a small fraction of your land. It makes for a completely different atmosphere than you would find in Miami.

When I think of Miami beaches vs The Hamptons beaches, these two pictures kind of illustrate the difference...
Attached Thumbnails
Which major east coast city has the best beaches? Miami, Virginia Beach, Orlando, Boston, New York City or Baltimore?-8789ba64-f0de-41f9-90d9-7ee8f47749a3.jpeg   Which major east coast city has the best beaches? Miami, Virginia Beach, Orlando, Boston, New York City or Baltimore?-e60a7580-eea2-4ea2-aa35-d9eb97ca6cb6.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
To me they look the same - minus water color and palm trees.

Have a look - https://www.google.es/maps/@25.76735...!7i8704!8i4352

Miami Beach also has grass and mounds of sand that I consider a dune. Maybe that picture is not doing it justice.
Here is another picture of a Hamptons beach, closer up. You dont see the beauty in the landscape? Again, Miami beaches are beautiful too, just different.
Attached Thumbnails
Which major east coast city has the best beaches? Miami, Virginia Beach, Orlando, Boston, New York City or Baltimore?-3d36d645-86eb-4aee-b085-e8a0de36a267.jpeg  

Old 07-13-2018, 06:46 PM

2,362 posts, read 777,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I’m sure you can find some grass and mounds, but that is not typical around the tourist beaches. Have you spent much time in both places? I do. I think experiencing them both would show you how different they really are. I have a home on the beach in the Hamptons, and there are local laws that keep people from developing and ruining the natural beauty. In addition to requiring large lots, they also only allow you to build on a small fraction of your land. It makes for a completely different atmosphere than you would find in Miami.

When I think of Miami beaches vs The Hamptons beaches, these two pictures kind of illustrate the difference...
I'm talking about the beach itself, not the community adjacent to it. Yeah, the Hamptons and Miami Beach couldn't be further apart but you pull up your beach chair to the sand and it's pretty much similar. Even in the pic you posted, I can see the sand dunes and grass - it's just much further away from the water. A lot of Miami Beach is artificial, so they make it wider than nature intended. The beach I posted is fairly typical and located on the south end of the barrier island.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about the beach itself, not the community adjacent to it. Yeah, the Hamptons and Miami Beach couldn't be further apart but you pull up your beach chair to the sand and it's pretty much similar. Even in the pic you posted, I can see the sand dunes and grass - it's just much further away from the water. A lot of Miami Beach is artificial, so they make it wider than nature intended. The beach I posted is fairly typical and located on the south end of the barrier island.
OK. I guess it depends on how you look at it. I was judging the beaches by the total experience. Everything that you take in with your eyes, which includes the adjacent landscape and structures.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:45 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
Gulf Coast Beaches are better than Miami or The Hamptons anyway.

So Miami doesn't even have the best beaches in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City