Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which option is most preferred for you with regards to leisure? (expenses and time being non-factors
Option A: Greater New York and the Southeast Florida metropolis 21 40.38%
Option B: Greater Los Angeles and the Mexico City metropolitan area 5 9.62%
Option C: Greater Chicago, the San Francisco Bay Area, Greater Toronto Area (or GGH), and the Washington DC-Baltimore metropolis 26 50.00%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 01:19 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times

Advertisements

Leisure in North America: Option A, Option B, or Option C

- Option A: Greater New York and Southeast Florida (the Miami-Fort Lauderdale metropolis)

- Option B: Greater Los Angeles and the Mexico City metropolitan area

- Option C: Greater Chicago, Greater San Francisco Bay Area, Greater Toronto Area (or the GGH), and the Washington DC-Baltimore metropolis

Say you were given a choice to visit North America and would get one of the three options listed above, all expense paid for by a travel agency (including airfares, lodging, so on), so cost and time is not a concern. You are asked to choose which option "package" appeals to you the most from a visitors standpoint, you will be visiting all the cities listed under the option you choose in whichever order you choose to see them. You can pick any time of the year to visit as long as you visit them all together in the same week, so you're not tied down to a particular time of year to visit.

If you were only given three itineraries to choose from (see above) and these three options were the only ones available, which of the three would you pick? Why? Make your argument in the thread.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 10-07-2016 at 01:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 01:26 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,869,979 times
Option C. You get a really great diversity of things to see/do. East coast, west coast, mid-west, Great Lakes.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:45 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Option C for sure. You're getting a killer combo for the U.S. and the biggest, most dynamic city in Canada.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:46 PM

On a personal level, I would go with Option A. I would choose late Autumn as the time of year to visit.

I think New York and Miami are very complimentary cities to one another. The things they have to offer, in a way neither steps on the other city's foot. They both do different things exceptionally well. Assuming that in late Autumn I can see both the fall colors and get some light snow, maybe, I can do skiing in Greater New York and all the city stuff in New York. Then do all the outdoors beach and water activities sort of thing in Southeast Florida.

I also think both cities have complimentary nightlife and music scenes, nothing alike, so making both a distinct and enjoyable experience but for different reasons.

I think as a city that New York has the best assets to offer in the North American continent; museums, galleries, iconic sites and structures, more late night options, a diverse and exceptional food scene, excellent public transport, and a modest but great asset in surrounding nature (the beaches along Long Islands, the coastlines of Connecticut and New Jersey, the Hudson River Valley, the foothills of mountain ranges, lots of islands, lakes, rivers, forests, and the like). Miami is an exceptional place for recreation too and has natural surroundings that are distinct from other places. It is architecturally the polar opposite of New York, so basically what you didn't get to see in New York, you will in Miami. It is an exceptional place to see animal life, if you're an animal lover (I am, especially birds). The only place in the world where specific species of alligators and crocodiles live in one habitat, with anacondas and pythons underground. The most diverse set of bird species and migrational bird species in the continental United States (which is HUGE for me). Incredible variation in plant life, with plenty of barrier islands and smaller islands in the area to foster this type of vegetation, in addition to a climate conducive to it year round. The art community and music community are lively, I tend to straight up prefer the Miami music scene, especially the more electronic heavy elements of it. The beach communities are always quite lively, lots of different activities and shopping and dining options in South Beach.

Other options are great too. Lots of interest in all three options, especially the Mexico City and Los Angeles pairing. Combined they have 40 million people, the second and third largest metropolises on the North American continent. Lots of history, sites, and outdoors activities in both, plus a great assortment of food scenes. Option C has more cities and their surrounding metropolises put together combine for just shy of 40 million people. Each city does a different thing and represents a different era and mindset that is prevalent in North America. They are also complimentary with one another. Not bad.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:52 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Option A, by the narrowest of margins over Option C.

I must confess that I've never visited Mexico City, but I don't particularly care for Los Angeles, so that was easy to exclude.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:18 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,971,438 times
Option B because I have always wanted to go to L.A.
-WT

Old 10-07-2016, 02:54 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,814,374 times
Option A. If you only have a week to travel, why would you go through the effort of visiting 4 places very far from each other vs. 2 cities (New York and Miami) for 3 days each.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:07 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,518 times
Definitely Option C

Old 10-07-2016, 04:05 PM

People on this forum just don't ever seem to like Mexico City for anything it seems. It has to be either a lack of information, interest, or experience.

I myself have never been but still recognize it for a great large metropolis.

I would've thought Mexico City + Los Angeles would've been enough to stay on par with the other two options. I mean, Option C doesn't even offer a city remotely the size of either Los Angeles or Mexico City...

Old 10-07-2016, 04:10 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
People on this forum just don't ever seem to like Mexico City for anything it seems. It has to be either a lack of information, interest, or experience.

I myself have never been but still recognize it for a great large metropolis.

I would've thought Mexico City + Los Angeles would've been enough to stay on par with the other two options. I mean, Option C doesn't even offer a city remotely the size of either Los Angeles or Mexico City...
I had to guess, I'd say it's just lack of familiarity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City