Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region deviates more from the typical South?
South Florida 107 59.78%
South Texas 51 28.49%
Tie: Both deviate to the same extent 16 8.94%
I don't know 5 2.79%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 10:10 PM

218 posts, read 220,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87 View Post
Even Brownsville is only 30% foreign born compared to 52% for Dade County and 60% for Miami. Meanwhile PBC is 24% foreign born.

There is simply no comparison. Miami is far more "foreign" than even the RGV.
I never said anything about foreign. Down there Mexican is not foreign. I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough, it's a flaw noted and I'll be sure to be more specific from now on in my posts, thanks. I was trying to say that the RGV is not Southern in culture. Rather, it has its own unique culture that is neither American nor Mexican.

Last edited by rdz1979; 08-18-2017 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: Further clarifying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 08:16 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Even Brownsville is only 30% foreign born compared to 52% for Dade County and 60% for Miami. Meanwhile PBC is 24% foreign born.

There is simply no comparison. Miami is far more "foreign" than even the RGV.
Most of those "foreigners" in Miami are from places only a few hundred miles from South Florida itself.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:56 AM

76 posts, read 69,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Most of those "foreigners" in Miami are from places only a few hundred miles from South Florida itself.
I'm not sure what your point is, especially since immigrants to the RGV are almost all exclusively from Mexico.

At least in Miami-Dade while the majority are from Cuba, it's not by all means exclusive to Cubans. A sizeable chunk are from S. America and Europe, more than "a few hundred" miles away.

Either way, since we're debating which region is more 'culturally Southern', this is a very relevant fact to bring up.

You have 3 things working against you when trying to claim Miami has any 'Southern heritage':

1)No metropolis in the USA has such a high concentration of immigrants.
2)Miami was founded after the Civil War by northerners. Corpus on the otherhand was firmly entrenched on the Confederate side.
3)Miami and Southern Florida is a huge mecca for transplants from the EC unlike South Texas.

In reality, Miami was never a culturally 'Southern' city at her origin. After it was founded, some Southerners moved there from elsewhere in Florida, but now they're moving out, and you can't see any traces of this Southern culture left except maybe some street signs.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:08 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:

Caribbean/South America majority other noticeable foreginers are Russians, southeast Asia, Spain, Portugal, U.K, France

Old 08-20-2017, 09:08 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what your point is, especially since immigrants to the RGV are almost all exclusively from Mexico.

At least in Miami-Dade while the majority are from Cuba, it's not by all means exclusive to Cubans. A sizeable chunk are from S. America and Europe, more than "a few hundred" miles away.
Right, and this would most likely not be the case if Miami we're not a major city, so you're comparing apples to oranges in terms of immigration.

Quote:
Either way, since we're debating which region is more 'culturally Southern', this is a very relevant fact to bring up.

You have 3 things working against you when trying to claim Miami has any 'Southern heritage':

1)No metropolis in the USA has such a high concentration of immigrants.
Again, with most immigrants coming from only a few hundred miles away.

It's not that I don't see your point here. The large numbers of immigrants in Dallas and Houston are a major part of the reason their southernness is often debated.

Quote:
2)Miami was founded after the Civil War by northerners. Corpus on the otherhand was firmly entrenched on the Confederate side.
Birmingham, Alabama was also founded after the Civil War.

Quote:
3)Miami and Southern Florida is a huge mecca for transplants from the EC unlike South Texas.
Another attribute of it being a large city. South Texas does not have the opportunities needed to attract large numbers of transplants from outside the immediate region.

Imagine if Houston were located where Brownsville, TX is. It would essentially be a Mexican Miami.

Quote:
In reality, Miami was never a culturally 'Southern' city at her origin. After it was founded, some Southerners moved there from elsewhere in Florida, but now they're moving out, and you can't see any traces of this Southern culture left except maybe some street signs.
You may not see it, but other posters and I find it clearly visible within segments of South Florida's black population (obviously those not from the Caribbean).

Old 08-20-2017, 12:18 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
And nobody on this forum will tell me any different as it concerns South Florida's black population.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:57 PM

9,855 posts, read 6,566,773 times
I agree with what someone said and most people here have zero clue about what they're talking about. I have been to both regions significantly. South Florida is by far more southern then South Texas. If you are counting Miami vs San Antonio, neither are southern. But if you step outside of Miami metro, you see by far more southern influence than in rural south Texas.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:15 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
And nobody on this forum will tell me any different as it concerns South Florida's black population.
Quote:
You may not see it, but other posters and I find it clearly visible within segments of South Florida's black population (obviously those not from the Caribbean).
Any evidence?

I haven't seen any southern traits there and I travel there alot. It just does not have any southern culture from my experiences and I am talking about food, accents everything. Those folks do not sound southern at all, I have not found anyone who has a accent like me, they would constantly ask me where I was from (and low key tease at the same time). I didnt grow up eating meat pies and jerk chicken or Rice and Beans. I did not eat plantains and or papaya either, thats the type of foods I was eating there. I even asked around for a soul food restaurant and even those places were invaded by the island cultures. And I am speaking in a black perspective too, thats the only folks I hang around with then I am there. Now in South Texas, I have eaten at many cafe and diners and though its not as good as home, I can clearly tell the food is southern. LOL i have never eaten a Taco in South Texas (though Im sure they probably do have some good ones). A co-worker of mine dad is from South Texas and he claims to be a southern. He is actually a forth generation Texan and from Del-Rio, he is also a Latino as well. I went to college with a few folks from South Texas as well. They never claimed to be from the south, but their accents were hella thick and clearly southern. More southern than those island folks from South Florida thats for sure...I also know black folks from South Texas too, actually dated a chick from their in undergrad (McAllen). She was indeed Southern and very prideful about it as well....

Last edited by llmrkc07; 08-20-2017 at 02:28 PM..

Old 08-20-2017, 03:02 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I agree with what someone said and most people here have zero clue about what they're talking about. I have been to both regions significantly. South Florida is by far more southern then South Texas. If you are counting Miami vs San Antonio, neither are southern. But if you step outside of Miami metro, you see by far more southern influence than in rural south Texas.
Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Hollywood, St Petersburg, Fort Meyers is southern ?

Old 08-20-2017, 04:35 PM

76 posts, read 69,590 times
Quote:
Right, and this would most likely not be the case if Miami we're not a major city, so you're comparing apples to oranges in terms of immigration.

Again, with most immigrants coming from only a few hundred miles away.

It's not that I don't see your point here. The large numbers of immigrants in Dallas and Houston are a major part of the reason their southernness is often debated.

Birmingham, Alabama was also founded after the Civil War.

Another attribute of it being a large city. South Texas does not have the opportunities needed to attract large numbers of transplants from outside the immediate region.

Imagine if Houston were located where Brownsville, TX is. It would essentially be a Mexican Miami.

Houston is a Southern city, the non-immigrants there have Southern mannerisms and accents. That's not true in Miami or Broward and vast majority of PBC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City