Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region deviates more from the typical South?
South Florida 107 59.78%
South Texas 51 28.49%
Tie: Both deviate to the same extent 16 8.94%
I don't know 5 2.79%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 05:11 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
What's does being Black have to with being a Southerner? And how the hell is South Florida, a Southern Region....Not a Southern Region? That's just pure idiotic.
Aww stop with the deflecting, LOL (you all do that alot on this forum). You must be white or a foreign black from one them islands nearby. I was responding to Scubasteve post in regards to blacks in the region, but most of South Florida population is transient, most folks I know there dont rep the south, they represent the country they are from (flag in all). I am speaking in a black perspective and I am talking about the blacks in the region, and for me being a AA (decedent of a slave), South Florida aint the typical south IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 06:20 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Aww stop with the deflecting, LOL (you all do that alot on this forum). You must be white or a foreign black from one them islands nearby. I was responding to Scubasteve post in regards to blacks in the region, but most of South Florida population is transient, most folks I know there dont rep the south, they represent the country they are from (flag in all). I am speaking in a black perspective and I am talking about the blacks in the region, and for me being a AA (decedent of a slave), South Florida aint the typical south IMO.
Virginia, Louisville aren't the "typical south" either, so what are you really saying? It's clear that you don't know wtf you're talking about.

Most of the Afro Latinos and West Indians I've talked to knowledges that they live in the south, while repping their country. It's like a Jamaican immigrant in Toronto repping "The North" or "The Six" while also having pride in their flag.

I am speaking from the perspective as an AA/Afro Latino who lived and currently has family in Miami. It's not just about where you're from, but where you're at. Even in NYC, West Indians and Afro Latinos consider Miami the South and everyone who lives there as a Southerner...because you know, Miami IS a Southern city. Stop trying to box together The South with one stereotype, its a very diverse region.

"I even get love down south in Miami..."

Old 08-08-2017, 07:33 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,316 times
Quote:
Virginia, Louisville aren't the "typical south" either, so what are you really saying? It's clear that you don't know wtf you're talking about.
Those areas are more southern than Miami (South Florida) thats for sure..so I would not have a problem with someone from Virginia or Kentucky saying they are southern, because they are.....

Quote:
Most of the Afro Latinos and West Indians I've talked to knowledges that they live in the south, while repping their country. It's like a Jamaican immigrant in Toronto repping "The North" or "The Six" while also having pride in their flag.
Exactly, so they are not southern......

Quote:
I am speaking from the perspective as an AA/Afro Latino who lived and currently has family in Miami. It's not just about where you're from, but where you're at. Even in NYC, West Indians and Afro Latinos consider Miami the South and everyone who lives there as a Southerner...because you know, Miami IS a Southern city. Stop trying to box together The South with one stereotype, its a very diverse region.

I am not trying to box together anything, this is not some sort of stereotype, I am speaking as a AA (decedent of slave), thats the stance I come from.

So you are listening to West Indie folks from New York about who is considered southern or not. Why would they opinion matter, they are not southern, hell they not even fully American. You all don't understand the history of being a AA in the country and yall also dislike being called on this issue, which is why you say I dont know WTF I am talking about....

All I am going to say, is you island folks are confused, but keep on riding our (African American) wave....

Ohh, and I am still not convinced that Maimi is in the south..because as a "true" southern, it aint...

Last edited by llmrkc07; 08-08-2017 at 08:38 PM..

Old 08-08-2017, 08:12 PM

76 posts, read 69,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT
I think even you realize "down south" is geographic and separate from "the South." No New Yorker views Miami as "the South". They'll lump Georgia and Texas and Kentucky and Maryland together before they throw in Miami.

Out of all cities outside th immediate EC, NYC exchanges more people with Miami than anywhere else. Half the people in my building are from NYC or NJ. And I'm not exaggerating by saying half.

Here is a piece from the Gotham (some lifestyle rag based in NYC) : https://gotham-magazine.com/how-miam...new-york-south

To me Virginia is fairly "Southern". I have some family in DC. In Miami-Dade over 50% (I think closer to 60%) of people's first language isn't even English. If the "Southern Culture" is to have any meaning whatsoever, you can't include Miami.

It's not like Miami is like an Atlanta. Atlanta is a big cosmopolitan Southern city. You can feel the Southerness pumping in her vains even with all the transplants and immigrants. And just go to the suburbs and you're in some Hollywood stereotype. You can even feel this "Southerness" more in Baltimore than Miami. If Miami ever had anything culturally Southern about her (something we can debate since the city was founded after the civil war by northern carpetbaggers) it's all gone now. This is NooYawk meets Cuba with a Haitian twist.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:33 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
I see you're back...
Nice catch.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87 View Post
You can't tell me, with a straight face, that someone born in Haiti who immigrated to this country is "repping" the South. They don't feel American even.

Yes. I can tell you with a straight face because they have told me with a straight face.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
I do not agree. I have family in South Florida and lived in South Florida, and most of the people I know in South Florida from Carol City (now Miami Gardens) down to Florida City that are black has repped the South. Now maybe your experience is different. But my experience from them is that they repped the South. You couldn't tell my cousin in law who is Haitian that he isn't Southern. He has repped the South hard and he's been in this country his entire 35 years of his life. I am a "descendant of a slave" and a Black American, Miami is Southern to me. Especially the black population. Most Black New Yorkers (Black American or Islander) would say Miami is Southern. Is it like Atlanta? No. That doesn't mean it's not Southern.

Let us also not forget that there is still a very large Black American population in South Florida? What do people think they disappeared or something?

Old 08-08-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I do not agree. I have family in South Florida and lived in South Florida, and most of the people I know in South Florida from Carol City (now Miami Gardens) down to Florida City that are black has repped the South. Now maybe your experience is different. But my experience from them is that they repped the South. You couldn't tell my cousin in law who is Haitian that he isn't Southern. He has repped the South hard and he's been in this country his entire 35 years of his life. I am a "descendant of a slave" and a Black American, Miami is Southern to me. Especially the black population. Most Black New Yorkers (Black American or Islander) would say Miami is Southern. Is it like Atlanta? No. That doesn't mean it's not Southern.

Let us also not forget that there is still a very large Black American population in South Florida? What do people think they disappeared or something?
Repping the South? 34% of Blacks here are not even born in the USA. They're not even "repping" the USA let alone the South.

A Haitian here speaks French eats Joumou and Kabrit. They're not Southerners in any identifiable cultural way.

At this point it's getting ridiculous so why don't you define what cultural traits Haitians have with Afro-Americans in Mississippi. Because it's not food, religion, or accent or history. At this point it's just skin color which is one of the most asnine things you could think to focus on.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87 View Post
Repping the South? 34% of Blacks here are not even born in the USA. They're not even "repping" the USA let alone the South.

A Haitian here speaks French eats Joumou and Kabrit. They're not Southerners in any identifiable cultural way.

At this point it's getting ridiculous so why don't you define what cultural traits Haitians have with Afro-Americans in Mississippi. Because it's not food, religion, or accent or history. At this point it's just skin color which is one of the most asnine things you could think to focus on.
Those percentages mean nothing compared to actual real life conversations and real life day to day experiences. Care to tell us your interactions with them and what they have told you? Or how about you couldn't really tell much of the difference of activities between Haitians/Jamaicans/Bahamians/Black Americans in South Florida. Especially Bahamians/Haitians/Black Americans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RsCO7517Jk&t=613s

If he never opened his mouth to speak creole, you hardly would not think he from the South. BTW, I also said earlier that Haitians rep their island first, then they rep Miami, and then the South in general. You have a Haitian named polo89 on here from South Florida that has said this plenty of times.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Those percentages mean nothing compared to actual real life conversations and real life day to day experiences. Care to tell us your interactions with them and what they have told you? Or how about you couldn't really tell much of the difference of activities between Haitians/Jamaicans/Bahamians/Black Americans in South Florida. Especially Bahamians/Haitians/Black Americans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RsCO7517Jk&t=613s

If he never opened his mouth to speak creole, you hardly would not think he from the South. BTW, I also said earlier that Haitians rep their island first, then they rep Miami, and then the South in general. You have a Haitian named polo89 on here from South Florida that has said this plenty of times.
Belle Glade? In NW PBC? That's not in Miami and is almost outside of South Florida.

Try this video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh9FRwDcqRo

They're not repping "the South" 2nd, third, or one hundred and fiftieth!

What's my experience? Try I live here, I have friends, patronize businesses, and like I said I actually live here.

Why don't you post some statistics or at least define to me what being culturally southern means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City