Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region deviates more from the typical South?
South Florida 107 59.78%
South Texas 51 28.49%
Tie: Both deviate to the same extent 16 8.94%
I don't know 5 2.79%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 10:06 AM

76 posts, read 69,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Yes.

lol you're acting like they're trying to identify as African American.
Come again? Haitian immigrants in Miami identify as Southerners? And I'm saying they identify as African-Americans? What?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Venezuela, Brazil, Russia, Argentina, Nicaragua, Panama
We're talking about the Black population in Miami. Not a lot of Black Russians, Argentinians, or Venezuelans if any.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:03 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87 View Post
1/3 Blacks in the Miami Metropolitan area are now immigrants. The highest of any city in the USA.

That's 33% who are foreign born (Cuba, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Brazil, Colombia, Jamaica, Bahamas being most common areas) but does NOT include children born to immigrants.

Are you telling me that Afro-Caribbeans and Afro-Latins identity as Southern?
Plenty do. Especially Haitians and Bahamaians. Heard it right from their mouths when I lived in South Florida. They repped their Island, Miami, and the South in general. It's no different from Nigerians in Houston doing the same thing. They rep Nigeria, Houston, and the South in general.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:29 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,804 times
Quote:
Come again? Haitian immigrants in Miami identify as Southerners? And I'm saying they identify as African-Americans? What?!
You're saying that Afro Latinos and West Indians can't identify as being Southern, well how is that any different from Afro Latinos and West Indians identifying as Northerners? Ever heard of Nuyoricans?

Afro Latinos and West Indians move to the US and assimilate to whichever local culture they end up living around. Haitians in South Florida are COMPLETELY different from Haitians up north, like not even close.

I have Dominican family members in Miami that consider themselves Southerners.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Plenty do. Especially Haitians and Bahamaians. Heard it right from their mouths when I lived in South Florida. They repped their Island, Miami, and the South in general. It's no different from Nigerians in Houston doing the same thing. They rep Nigeria, Houston, and the South in general.
You can't tell me, with a straight face, that someone born in Haiti who immigrated to this country is "repping" the South. They don't feel American even.

So let's exclude this 34% of Blacks that are not even born in the USA who live in Miami. That leaves you with 66% some of which who are children of immigrants. In Miami even the Black community is heavily segregated which is why a place like Liberty City speaks mostly English at home and a place like Little Haiti speaks mostly French.

My own personal experience says that probably less than 20% of Miami's Blacks identify with the South anymore.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:09 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close
Me and you could go back and forth all day and I have things to do. You look at a sliver of a states culture and want to think it defines it, and it doesn't. African Americans are what, 20% of south floridas population? And with a huge Carribean component that isn't southern. If you want to tell me I know nothing of floridas black culture I could say the same to you about floridas white culture, and the white culture is even further removed from southern than the black culture is.
Quote:
You can't tell me, with a straight face, that someone born in Haiti who immigrated to this country is "repping" the South. They don't feel American even.

So let's exclude this 34% of Blacks that are not even born in the USA who live in Miami. That leaves you with 66% some of which who are children of immigrants. In Miami even the Black community is heavily segregated which is why a place like Liberty City speaks mostly English at home and a place like Little Haiti speaks mostly French.

My own personal experience says that probably less than 20% of Miami's Blacks identify with the South anymore.
I see you're back...

Old 08-08-2017, 04:48 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,090 times
Quote:

And my experiences say the same. Scubasteve...you have brought up the reason why I dont include South Florida as being a southern region, too many foreign blacks and just being a transient region in general. If you are not a decedent of slaves you are not a African American, its really simple. They will claim southern, but they will be quick to tell you their lineage is not "black" american though (you get no respect from me when you say stuff like that). And Nigerians in Houston dont claim to be from the South (all of them aint Chamillionare)...i have PLENTY, PLENTY of Nigerian Friends and I have never herd them Rep the south, they will Rep Houston but not the south, hell some of them think Houston is not in the south. From my experiences they will tell you they are Nigerian American, not BLACK, not "im from the south", nothing...hell they dont even assimilate fully into the African American southern culture (only when its convenient for them thought, I will say). IMO its South Texas...

Last edited by llmrkc07; 08-08-2017 at 06:01 PM..

Old 08-08-2017, 05:02 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,804 times
What's does being Black have to with being a Southerner? And how the hell is South Florida, a Southern Region....Not a Southern Region? That's just pure idiotic.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
You're saying that Afro Latinos and West Indians can't identify as being Southern, well how is that any different from Afro Latinos and West Indians identifying as Northerners? Ever heard of Nuyoricans?

Afro Latinos and West Indians move to the US and assimilate to whichever local culture they end up living around. Haitians in South Florida are COMPLETELY different from Haitians up north, like not even close.

I have Dominican family members in Miami that consider themselves Southerners.
I missed this gem earlier.

Who in their right mind is claiming Black IMMIGRANTS in the north are identifying as northerners? Certainly not I. I'm not crazy, nor out of touch. A person from Ghana who immigrates to NYC doesn't feel that's he's a northerner but an immigrant. SMH.

You mention Nuyoricans... you realize most of them have been in NYC for generations like Italian-Americans. They're not recent immigrants.

Miami has the highest share of Black immigrants than any other US city at 34%. Second place goes to NYC at 28% and third to D.C. At just 15%. Miami is the least "southern culture" metropolis in the geographic South and I'm including DC and Baltimore. This is the county with the highest percentage of foreign born in the country. And a good chunk of the rest are children of immigrants. Practically no one identifies as an American here which is why Miami is the butt of jokes. Native born school children here kiss each other on the cheek and call each other bros.

And for Dominicans? Many of them can be Black as of the ace of spades and still call themselves "mixed race." I know many Dominicans- they don't feel Southern or even Black.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:10 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Quote:
What's does being Black have to with being a Southerner? And how the hell is South Florida, a Southern Region....Not a Southern Region? That's just pure idiotic.
It is about cultural "The South", not geography.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City