Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 04:33 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Yeah, if I didn't grow up in Northern Virginia, Norfolk wouldn't be on my radar at all. I don't really see it being on anyone's radar outside of people who live in the Mid-Atlantic so it's definitely not in the big leagues. At least not now.
As someone who didn't grow up in the region, I can attest to this. Norfolk does have things going for it, but it's just not known outside of its region whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 05:26 AM

867 posts, read 1,397,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTinPhilly View Post
Norfolk is definitely first tier along with Richmond, Jacksonville, Louisville, Memphis and Nashville. Its somewhat isolated location in the southeast corner of Virginia away from major Interstate Highways and its proximity to nearby cities (Portsmouth, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News) serve to detract from the city's perceived importance IMO.
Fair enough...we do have access to Philly via rt. 13 and 1/113 though vs 64 to 95, but I get your point. At least SOMEbody up here got some sense. Half of these people obviously don't know what the hell theyre talking about. Many confusing what they have and havent "heard of" and "hype" with purpose, function, and reality.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:58 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Norfolk is in the first tier, and definitely the whole Hampton Roads area. I see it as a step behind Raleigh but not that large of a step, they're just different. Raleigh has RTP which brings in tons of transplants but Norfolk has the military. Richmond is arguably a step behind Norfolk but the two are about equal if you ask me.

Oh, and Norfolk is like a cross between Charleston and Baltimore. Probably a bit more mid-Atlantic than southern, though.
So essentially, you're saying that you believe Richmond is two steps behimd Raleigh?

Explain how Richmond is arguably behind Norfolk, please...

Old 03-27-2016, 11:55 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
That has everything to do with the fact that Hampton Roads is seven adjacent cities, none of which are outgrowth or suburbs of Norfolk. Norfolk is a part of its metro, not the cause of it. If you visit both cities, you will see that they're peers, and CC may be slightly better.
It was originally the cause of the Metro. Yes, the cities in Hampton Roads have grown more independent as time has gone on, but it's still the cultural and economic engine in the Seven Cities, and the geographic core of the metro.

You can't look at a single city in Hampton Roads without looking at the other six. They're as independent as they are interdependent.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:16 AM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
It's a good question, because hard to think of a peer for Norfolk. Was one of the few parts of the south that was founded and grew at the same time as a lot of New England, way ahead of most southern towns. It was also a big loyalist port, and in 1800, was the largest city in the South after Charleston. But then it started to take a beating as Richmond started pulling in more tobacco shipping.

Colonial legacy gives it rowhouses you won't see in Jacksonville, nearby beaches you won't see in Richmond, and that beachfront development has high rises you don't see in towns near Charleston. Size-wise, it's not growing anywhere near as fast as Raleigh-Durham, so hard to classify it with many of these other places.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:07 AM

9,683 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Norfolk is in the first tier, and definitely the whole Hampton Roads area. I see it as a step behind Raleigh but not that large of a step, they're just different. Raleigh has RTP which brings in tons of transplants but Norfolk has the military. Richmond is arguably a step behind Norfolk but the two are about equal if you ask me.

Oh, and Norfolk is like a cross between Charleston and Baltimore. Probably a bit more mid-Atlantic than southern, though.
I agree, Raleigh>Norfolk>>>>Richmond. I think Norfolk including Virginia Beach belongs in the first tier. Norfolk alone, not so much. Norfolk is a cool city with lots of history and importance.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:39 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Probably one of the stupider things said in this thread.
Exactly

Old 03-28-2016, 06:10 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I agree, Raleigh>Norfolk>>>>Richmond. I think Norfolk including Virginia Beach belongs in the first tier. Norfolk alone, not so much. Norfolk is a cool city with lots of history and importance.
I missed you, Shakeesha! You and all your Richmond bashing lol...

Old 03-28-2016, 06:43 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Ummm, no. Richmond has an edge on Norfolk but all in all, they are in the same league.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:38 AM

9,683 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Ummm, no. Richmond has an edge on Norfolk but all in all, they are in the same league.
How does Richmond have an edge on Norfolk, in terms of metro area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City