Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Richmond, VA vs Tacoma, WA
Richmond, VA 45 46.88%
Tacoma, WA 52 54.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 09:56 AM

34 posts, read 49,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Completely forgot to ask about Pizza (something PNW seems to have trouble with for some reason) and microbrews.

Are the local beers really hoppy like the obsession the seem to have with hops in Portland? Not really a fan, but I figured it was a PNW thing.

I actually have a really good friend who lives in Olympia and also lived in Tacoma (albeit over a decade ago). Although I just found that out recently.
Not sure about Tacoma, but Seattle has some pretty good pizza places these days, if you know where to go: Italian Family Pizza, Delancey, Bar Del Corso, Flying Squirrel, and a few others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 07:00 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,911,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guanchez View Post
Not sure about Tacoma, but Seattle has some pretty good pizza places these days, if you know where to go: Italian Family Pizza, Delancey, Bar Del Corso, Flying Squirrel, and a few others.
Cool. It took forever to find a good pizza place in Portland. Only one, maybe two that I can say are truly good places (as of 5 years ago). Great sushi though. Love the teriyaki food influences in the PacNW too.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:10 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
This is an interesting thread.

I lived in Portland for a year, and I really liked it a lot. I was also in my early 20s at the time.

OP, you seem like a very interesting person. I lived in MPLS, PDX, NYC, SF.....and these days I find myself very attracted to Pittsburgh, Richmond, Washington DC...and it seems you've lived PDX, PITT and ASH...all cities I've consistently been very attracted to.

It's also interesting reading some of your assessments on PDX/Seattle. Those are basically the same issues that I had with the place. I do lean left, but not insane left. I prefer 'rational' left. I like to be able to have a sensical argument as to why left is better than right. But, I don't like the fanatical of either the right or left. I remember in SF, I once told a SF lady that the homeless in the city are really a problem. She looked at me like I was a passionless soul without hope. I mean, you couldn't even have a conversation about it, or suggest it, without strong disapproval.

That being said, I'd WAY much prefer left extremism over FOX News listeners.

Anyway, to topic. TACOMA? I've considered going back to the Pacific Northwest for numerous reasons, but I can't imagine Tacoma would be one. This is a hard city comparison, mostly because I pretty much only hear of Tacoma in the 'I can't afford anywhere else in the Pacific Northwest, is this city kind of okay?" way. That being said, if you went to the Pac NW, of course it would be good, and most likely you'd gravitate towards a better niche than Tacoma.

Richmond. This is a city that has really hit my radar lately as a potentially very interesting city to live in. I've also read tons of bad things traditionally. I, myself, had a pretty negative image because of yesteryear images of the city. But, I was able to visit a year ago, and I really liked the vibe a lot. I was assuming I'd drive in, experience it, and say, "ah, not so interesting, just as I expected." That wasn't the case at all though. I really want to get back and get to know the city more.

For me, I'd be much more interested in Richmond than Tacoma. But, PNW is hard to beat as a region. So, if you think of it regionally, its a hard choice. But, VA seems like an interesting state to me. I kind of like the PA/VA vibe in those Mid-Atlantic States; for one. The cities are a bit more dense as well, which I like.

Anyway, hoping that you make a road trip from Asheville to Richmond; and give us a report on your feelings and vibes of Richmond. Based on your history of where else you'd live, I think I'd probably relate quite well to your perspective on it.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:56 AM

636 posts, read 611,087 times
Not a good comparison. Tacoma is a secondary city within a larger area, whereas Richmond stands alone.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
TACOMA? I've considered going back to the Pacific Northwest for numerous reasons, but I can't imagine Tacoma would be one. This is a hard city comparison, mostly because I pretty much only hear of Tacoma in the 'I can't afford anywhere else in the Pacific Northwest, is this city kind of okay?" way. That being said, if you went to the Pac NW, of course it would be good, and most likely you'd gravitate towards a better niche than Tacoma.
Yeah, it is definitely one of those places I'll need to visit. I figure if it's true what they say it is (a friendlier Seattle, grittier, decent nightlife, etc.) then it's worth a look. Add in 30 minutes from Seattle at $5 a train trip and you can't beat that.

Outside of the winter I prefer the PacNW's rainy, milder weather. Maybe all those years in overcast Pittsburgh was training for the PacNW?

So where else are you going to get 9 good months with 3 bad?

Really the only reason I even found Tacoma is because I was thinking of the places where I still had some friends kind of clustered together. Which left me with the PacNW, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and a handful of places hotter than all get out. At least for places off the top of my head.

Columbus is doable, but has never been my favorite area. Pittsburgh is sort of a been there, done that deal. I'd go back, but I'd rather find someplace new that would have a brighter job outlook. (The Pittsburgh story seems to be land a good job, lose that good job in a few years, and then be unable to find another good job until the economy cycle picks up again. Which means a move or taking a survival job for up to a few years.)

So that left me with the PacNW (or someplace completely new).

I could go back to Portland right now, but I'm not sure I'd be able to afford it in say five years. Not such a good time to rent. If I was going to buy my buddy says now is a good time, but I'm not really in that position.

The growth rate in Tacoma is good with a strong economy in Seattle. The 5% growth compared to 15% of Portland seems more manageable.

Although I hope to get my business up and running by then and no longer a second income. Washington looks to be more business friendly. Richmond seems to be business friendly too.

Didn't want to live in Vancouver, WA. I've been there and unless it has made a big change in the last few years it's lousy. At least for anyone who's looking for something other than a quiet family life. I-5 is a nightmare so anything that keeps me from having to drive it the better.

Quote:
Richmond. This is a city that has really hit my radar lately as a potentially very interesting city to live in. I've also read tons of bad things traditionally. I, myself, had a pretty negative image because of yesteryear images of the city. But, I was able to visit a year ago, and I really liked the vibe a lot. I was assuming I'd drive in, experience it, and say, "ah, not so interesting, just as I expected." That wasn't the case at all though. I really want to get back and get to know the city more.
Other than here all I have to go on with Richmond are outdated bits from people I know that lived there "way back when" (dumpy, violent, etc.) or were just there briefly ("kind of dirty, but seemed to have a good dating scene"). Big difference between sticking around for a night and living there though.

I have Savannah scheduled for Sept. and Richmond was going to be sometime in the winter. Maybe I can push up my Richmond visit? Summer probably isn't the best time to go, but on the other hand it's important to know the worst of it as far as relocation goes.

Quote:
For me, I'd be much more interested in Richmond than Tacoma. But, PNW is hard to beat as a region. So, if you think of it regionally, its a hard choice. But, VA seems like an interesting state to me. I kind of like the PA/VA vibe in those Mid-Atlantic States; for one. The cities are a bit more dense as well, which I like.
Strangely enough Tacoma has a higher density at around 4k to Richmond's 3.4k.

Pittsburgh's close in built environment is really what I look for in a city. It's walkable, has great architecture, and mostly flows from one area to the next.

I've tried to wrap my head around Richmond, but so far I feel like I'm still missing something.

The Civil War stuff doesn't really interest me and I'm a bit worried that it is still the south. Haven't had the best time of it here in the south. Easiest way for me to sum it up is it has been like having a paper cut or canker sore. Annoying at times, painful at others, but tolerable and eventually something you can learn to ignore.

Although the weather has kept me here. No winter to speak of is wonderful.

I do share some interests with hipsters, but I certainly would be upset if the whole of the alt scene in Richmond was hipsters. Did notice a Richmond hipsters website when I was looking for info.

However, that said, my view isn't really negative going in. It's more of an attempt to understand the city from the street level and whether or not it's a good fit. Charleston was a great little city, but most of its pluses were wasted on me. So the good city, poor fit is certainly within the realm of possibilities.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it is definitely one of those places I'll need to visit. I figure if it's true what they say it is (a friendlier Seattle, grittier, decent nightlife, etc.) then it's worth a look. Add in 30 minutes from Seattle at $5 a train trip and you can't beat that.

Outside of the winter I prefer the PacNW's rainy, milder weather. Maybe all those years in overcast Pittsburgh was training for the PacNW?

So where else are you going to get 9 good months with 3 bad?

Really the only reason I even found Tacoma is because I was thinking of the places where I still had some friends kind of clustered together. Which left me with the PacNW, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and a handful of places hotter than all get out. At least for places off the top of my head.

Columbus is doable, but has never been my favorite area. Pittsburgh is sort of a been there, done that deal. I'd go back, but I'd rather find someplace new that would have a brighter job outlook. (The Pittsburgh story seems to be land a good job, lose that good job in a few years, and then be unable to find another good job until the economy cycle picks up again. Which means a move or taking a survival job for up to a few years.)

So that left me with the PacNW (or someplace completely new).

I could go back to Portland right now, but I'm not sure I'd be able to afford it in say five years. Not such a good time to rent. If I was going to buy my buddy says now is a good time, but I'm not really in that position.

The growth rate in Tacoma is good with a strong economy in Seattle. The 5% growth compared to 15% of Portland seems more manageable.

Although I hope to get my business up and running by then and no longer a second income. Washington looks to be more business friendly. Richmond seems to be business friendly too.

Didn't want to live in Vancouver, WA. I've been there and unless it has made a big change in the last few years it's lousy. At least for anyone who's looking for something other than a quiet family life. I-5 is a nightmare so anything that keeps me from having to drive it the better.

Other than here all I have to go on with Richmond are outdated bits from people I know that lived there "way back when" (dumpy, violent, etc.) or were just there briefly ("kind of dirty, but seemed to have a good dating scene"). Big difference between sticking around for a night and living there though.

I have Savannah scheduled for Sept. and Richmond was going to be sometime in the winter. Maybe I can push up my Richmond visit? Summer probably isn't the best time to go, but on the other hand it's important to know the worst of it as far as relocation goes.

Strangely enough Tacoma has a higher density at around 4k to Richmond's 3.4k.

Pittsburgh's close in built environment is really what I look for in a city. It's walkable, has great architecture, and mostly flows from one area to the next.

I've tried to wrap my head around Richmond, but so far I feel like I'm still missing something.

The Civil War stuff doesn't really interest me and I'm a bit worried that it is still the south. Haven't had the best time of it here in the south. Easiest way for me to sum it up is it has been like having a paper cut or canker sore. Annoying at times, painful at others, but tolerable and eventually something you can learn to ignore.

Although the weather has kept me here. No winter to speak of is wonderful.

I do share some interests with hipsters, but I certainly would be upset if the whole of the alt scene in Richmond was hipsters. Did notice a Richmond hipsters website when I was looking for info.

However, that said, my view isn't really negative going in. It's more of an attempt to understand the city from the street level and whether or not it's a good fit. Charleston was a great little city, but most of its pluses were wasted on me. So the good city, poor fit is certainly within the realm of possibilities.
One thing you might want to explore is, exactly how walkable is Tacoma? How much of a pedestrian-friendly and walkable to business feel does Tacoma have? To me, that would kill it, if it is all car culture. For some reason, I've always had the impression of Tacoma being more car-culture; but I could be wrong.

Richmond, on the other hand, is very very walkable. Lots of stores to walk to. I guess the equivalent that pops into my head is the NW of PDX. The area where you have a ton of foot traffic all over the place, with tons of stores, cafes, restaurants, etc. that people are actively walking to. Richmond has a lot of that.

Pittsburgh has a lot of appeal to me, and it's basically what I look for, as well, when I look at American cities. Portland has that a well. Richmond is right in there with that as well. Tacoma, I am not too sure about.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:06 AM

Quote:
One thing you might want to explore is, exactly how walkable is Tacoma? How much of a pedestrian-friendly and walkable to business feel does Tacoma have? To me, that would kill it, if it is all car culture. For some reason, I've always had the impression of Tacoma being more car-culture; but I could be wrong.

Richmond, on the other hand, is very very walkable. Lots of stores to walk to. I guess the equivalent that pops into my head is the NW of PDX. The area where you have a ton of foot traffic all over the place, with tons of stores, cafes, restaurants, etc. that people are actively walking to. Richmond has a lot of that.

Pittsburgh has a lot of appeal to me, and it's basically what I look for, as well, when I look at American cities. Portland has that a well. Richmond is right in there with that as well. Tacoma, I am not too sure about.
Not sure. According to the walkscore they are about the same overall. Downtown area looks like Richmond has it if I had to make a guess. It's really impressive for a southern city. Kind of looks like the city I had hoped Knoxville would have been.

Area is similar with Richmond being about 60 sq miles & Tacoma at 50 sq miles.

Population wise and amenities downtown Tacoma & Richmond's Fan district seem to be close to being the same.

Google's telling me the distance across downtown Tacoma (N to S) is about the same as going from Monroe Park to the Museum District as well. Although Richmond looks much more urban despite the population numbers.

Tacoma seems to be typical PacNW with its transit. Light rail, bus, Amtrak, etc.

Looked at street view of the light rail line downtown and it reminded me of NW 5th Ave. in the Old Town-Chinatown area of Portland. As far as nature goes it's basically Seattle hills and all (On Puget Sound & Mount Rainier is about 20 miles closer). Albeit before Seattle grew into Seattle.

If you've ever watched the movie 10 Things I Hate About You the high school (that looks like a castle) is in Tacoma.

Last edited by Port Pitt Ash; 06-25-2015 at 02:57 AM..

Old 06-25-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Not sure. According to the walkscore they are about the same overall. Downtown area looks like Richmond has it if I had to make a guess. It's really impressive for a southern city. Kind of looks like the city I had hoped Knoxville would have been.

Area is similar with Richmond being about 60 sq miles & Tacoma at 50 sq miles.

Population wise and amenities downtown Tacoma & Richmond's Fan district seem to be close to being the same.

Google's telling me the distance across downtown Tacoma (N to S) is about the same as going from Monroe Park to the Museum District as well. Although Richmond looks much more urban despite the population numbers.

Tacoma seems to be typical PacNW with its transit. Light rail, bus, Amtrak, etc.

Looked at street view of the light rail line downtown and it reminded me of NW 5th Ave. in the Old Town-Chinatown area of Portland. As far as nature goes it's basically Seattle hills and all (On Puget Sound & Mount Rainier is about 20 miles closer). Albeit before Seattle grew into Seattle.

If you've ever watched the movie 10 Things I Hate About You the high school (that looks like a castle) is in Tacoma.
I was just google mapping Tacoma, it does look like it has a bit more urban than I had imagined. Might be interesting.

Here is a good google map location to look for with Richmond: Careytown, The Fan, etc. in that area. Cary Street is a good starting focus on google maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5546...8i6656!6m1!1e1

I don't know what Richmond would be like to live in, but it certainly has some interesting bones and characteristics, that would definitely be lacking anywhere else in the South. Yeah, Knoxville definitely lacks anything like it.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Here is a good google map location to look for with Richmond: Careytown, The Fan, etc. in that area. Cary Street is a good starting focus on google maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5546...8i6656!6m1!1e1

I don't know what Richmond would be like to live in, but it certainly has some interesting bones and characteristics, that would definitely be lacking anywhere else in the South. Yeah, Knoxville definitely lacks anything like it.
That shot kind of reminds me of a southern version of Uptown MLPS.

I really like the look of downtown and whatever area this is:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5354...7i13312!8i6656

Old 06-25-2015, 01:27 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
^^^Shockoe Bottom/Shockoe Slip...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City