Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Richmond VA 152 54.29%
Raleigh NC 128 45.71%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 09:17 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't have guessed Charlotte, but that's just me. I guess I can spot some similarities with Richmond, but not too many. The comparison is probably tiring, but Charlotte feels way too similar to Atlanta than any metro further north IMO. Raleigh/Durham is pretty similar to Charlotte, but Charlotte has always struck me as being much more southern (kind of a gateway to the Deep South). Maybe I'm the only one, though. Any opinions?

Thanks to all the transplants, more and more people are looking at Raleigh/Durham as East Coast first and southern second. IMO, this is the same case up in Richmond. However, and people have disagreed, Richmond definitely feels less southern coming from Raleigh. It's probably the DC-ish architecture, but it even seems like people drive more aggressively up there compared to Raleigh! Whenever I visit, I think to myself, "Okay, we're definitely on the verge of being out of the South." In a way, it's kind of the "last gasp of the South" if you're heading north. Anyway, if you drive around the Richmond and Raleigh metros, they don't seem to dissimilar to me. The suburbs in both cities are practically identical, the major difference is the fact that Richmond is much more historic than Raleigh. I guess Richmond is more of a cross between DC, Raleigh/Durham, Winston-Salem, and Savannah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 09:18 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times
Ignore this, posted twice for some reason.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:06 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Raleigh/Durham is pretty similar to Charlotte, but Charlotte has always struck me as being much more southern (kind of a gateway to the Deep South). Maybe I'm the only one, though. Any opinions?
Eh, not really. Even from a demographic standpoint, the two metros are pretty similar. For example, 21.8% of residents in the Charlotte metro area were born outside of the South and 10.4% are foreign born. In the Raleigh metro, those figures are 22.7% and 11.6%, respectively. Those aren't material differences. If Raleigh indeed feels less Southern than Charlotte, it's not due to a greater influx of "Yankee" transplants.

In terms of "southerness," I don't see a noticeable difference between Charlotte and Raleigh. They both have low density, rather wooded city propers with relatively large transplant populations and moderate political climates.

Quote:
Thanks to all the transplants, more and more people are looking at Raleigh/Durham as East Coast first and southern second. IMO, this is the same case up in Richmond.
I personally put Richmond and Raleigh in different buckets. Richmond, historically, architecturally and even to an extent culturally, is more of a cousin of the Mid-Atlantic coastal cities (the Chesapeake Colonies).

Quote:
However, and people have disagreed, Richmond definitely feels less southern coming from Raleigh. It's probably the DC-ish architecture, but it even seems like people drive more aggressively up there compared to Raleigh! Whenever I visit, I think to myself, "Okay, we're definitely on the verge of being out of the South." In a way, it's kind of the "last gasp of the South" if you're heading north. Anyway, if you drive around the Richmond and Raleigh metros, they don't seem to dissimilar to me. The suburbs in both cities are practically identical, the major difference is the fact that Richmond is much more historic than Raleigh. I guess Richmond is more of a cross between DC, Raleigh/Durham, Winston-Salem, and Savannah.
I agree with this. I still don't see the Savannah though.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:47 PM

867 posts, read 1,397,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
I would say Richmond has more in common with Savannah/Raleigh opposed to Charlotte. Hampton Roads reminds me of Charlotte not really Richmond.

Raleigh really flourishes because of its university presence same with Richmond. As for Savannah, they just look architecturally identical. The cities look very very alike and are both quaint.

As for DC, besides the rowhomes they don't look much alike to me. DC does not have skyscrapers like Richmond and Baltimore. Also Baltimore and Richmond are more gritty opposed to DC which has a more clean/neat look.

So Richmond to me is a Baltimore and Raleigh/Savannah hybrid.
I guess youre just trynna be "different"... so Im not even gonna bother with the rest, but I just have to ask... how in the world does Hampton Roads remind you of Charlotte?

Old 01-22-2015, 02:59 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
I guess youre just trynna be "different"... so Im not even gonna bother with the rest, but I just have to ask... how in the world does Hampton Roads remind you of Charlotte?
How am I trying to be different? What does that have to do with anything I said in my post? What?

I don't think Hampton Roads and Charlotte are exactly alike but if we're comparing Virginia metros to NC metros than Hampton Roads fits the bill better than Richmond. I say this because Charlotte is more progressive than Richmond just like Hampton Roads is more progressive than Richmond. Also, HR gets more transplants than Richmond like Charlotte does. Richmond is more of a Raleigh because of the university presence. I already explained this before.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:02 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I would say more of a hybrid of DC/Baltimore and Charlotte/Raleigh. That's largely because of its denser, historical core and industrial heritage.
I can get with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't agree that Richmond and Savannah look architecturally identical. Richmond clearly has a style of architecture that's more predominant in the Mid-Atlantic States. More brick structures with turret roofs, which is the trademark feature of DC rowhouses. Baltimore's architecure is more similar to Philadelphia's whereas DC's is more similar to Richmond's. But you're right about Richmond feeling "grittier" than DC, which is something it shares with Baltimore.

I don't see Richmond and Savannah having much in common other than being southern cities and port cities. They feel completely different and have different histories and settlement patterns. I suppose a slower pace is one thing they share but Savannah feels considerably slower and more easygoing than Richmond.
I mentioned Savannah because they both have an abundance of rowhouses for Southern cities, have gritty, historic cores, and have an artsy flair due to arts schools downtown. But Richmond was indeed more industrial historically.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:10 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
I don't think Hampton Roads and Charlotte are exactly alike but if we're comparing Virginia metros to NC metros than Hampton Roads fits the bill better than Richmond. I say this because Charlotte is more progressive than Richmond just like Hampton Roads is more progressive than Richmond. Also, HR gets more transplants than Richmond like Charlotte does. Richmond is more of a Raleigh because of the university presence. I already explained this before.
In what ways is Charlotte more progressive than Richmond. Not that I necessarily disagree with you, but I'm just wondering if you have articulable facts to show that.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
How am I trying to be different? What does that have to do with anything I said in my post? What?

Just seems strange. Richmond has more in common with Savannah and Raleigh? Savannah and Raleigh don't even seem all that similar to each other to me. I imagine, you are talking about the art scene in SAV...and possibly the older architectural stock? Raleigh? What, the college vibe and the fact that theyre both state capitals? Is that what you mean? Overall, Id have to agree with what Bajan said though.

Ok gotcha. I thought you were saying HR and CLT were similar in some other way. However, why do you think RVA is less progressive? And I hope you are not saying... transplants = progression.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:39 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Just seems strange. Richmond has more in common with Savannah and Raleigh? Savannah and Raleigh don't even seem all that similar to each other to me. I imagine, you are talking about the art scene in SAV...and possibly the older architectural stock? Raleigh? What, the college vibe and the fact that theyre both state capitals? Is that what you mean? Overall, Id have to agree with what Bajan said though.

Ok gotcha. I thought you were saying HR and CLT were similar in some other way. However, why do you think RVA is less progressive? And I hope you are not saying... transplants = progression.
You just answered the questions yourself in the first paragraph.

As for Richmond, I've always thought HR was more progressive because not only with it's prominent military presence and jobs it's also has tourism. If anywhere in Virginia were to get a professional team it would be HR. Not only is HR economically diverse, it's also racially diverse as well. HR has more potential to me than Richmond. Also, no I do not think transplants equal progressive.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
You just answered the questions yourself in the first paragraph.

As for Richmond, I've always thought HR was more progressive because not only with it's prominent military presence and jobs it's also has tourism. If anywhere in Virginia were to get a professional team it would be HR. Not only is HR economically diverse, it's also racially diverse as well. HR has more potential to me than Richmond. Also, no I do not think transplants equal progressive.
I don't really think that means RVA has more in common with SAV/Ral moreso than DC/Bmore, but I see what youre using as criteria.

I kinda see what youre trynna say, I guess I don't necessarily equate those things with being progressive. I think RVA has PLENTY of potential...I think its just stuck in between two places doing their own thing, HR and NoVA...and soon Charlottesville. RVA also has just as many F500-1000 companies as Charlotte and is also "white collar." They both have racetracks too. I agree though, any major league team coming to Virginia will more than likely land in Hampton Roads.

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 01-22-2015 at 05:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City