Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Richmond VA 152 54.29%
Raleigh NC 128 45.71%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 03:46 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,498 times

Advertisements

-Vibe/Energy: Hard to say, they are so different. Richmond has a grittier vibe, and Raleigh is more college-y and professional. If you want an urban place then Richmond is the winner. If you want a place that feels like it is heading in the right direction then Raleigh.
-Retail Mix/Amenities: Both have all I need. Maybe slight edge to Richmond.
-Nightlife/Entertainment: Richmond is a much more urban place and has more going on IMO.
-Education : Raleigh, esp if you consider the entire Triangle.
-Economic Outlook: Raleigh has been booming for a while. Richmond is doing fine but does not feel economically dynamic.
-Cultural Attractions: I think Richmond's offerings are a little better. Fantastic art museum, lots of theaters and historical attractions. Raleigh also has good museums, but I was surprised at how nice Richmond's are.
-QOL Preference: Raleigh has lower crime and just seems economically healthier. I would prefer it if it were more urban, and it is not the most exciting place to visit but seems like a really nice place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 08:34 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammalian View Post
I posed these two cities as rivals in the city vs city rivalry thread and I'm wondering how everyone feels about that.
They're not rivals at all. It's surprising because both cities are less than three hours apart, but I don't think people in Raleigh think of Richmond that often and vice versa. We know Richmond is there and it isn't far, and I'm sure most people in Raleigh have been, but it's like that one neighbor we just don't really care about. When people around Raleigh visit that area, it's usually for Kings Dominion or the Williamsburg area not terribly far down the road. You don't really hear many people actually visiting the city of Richmond. I'm sure tons of people have only driven through heading to DC. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's the same for people in Richmond. There's not much down here in NC that they don't have up there. If anything, they have a much stronger chance of heading north to DC for whatever reason instead of heading south to Raleigh/Durham.

Charlotte is definitely Raleigh's rival. Even Greensboro has a better chance over Richmond. For an out of state rival, Northern VA would be the best pick for the Research Triangle. I feel like we're heading in that kind of direction, but people in Northern VA still believe we're in a league below them.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:44 AM

464 posts, read 523,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
They're not rivals at all. It's surprising because both cities are less than three hours apart, but I don't think people in Raleigh think of Richmond that often and vice versa. We know Richmond is there and it isn't far, and I'm sure most people in Raleigh have been, but it's like that one neighbor we just don't really care about. When people around Raleigh visit that area, it's usually for Kings Dominion or the Williamsburg area not terribly far down the road. You don't really hear many people actually visiting the city of Richmond. I'm sure tons of people have only driven through heading to DC. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's the same for people in Richmond. There's not much down here in NC that they don't have up there. If anything, they have a much stronger chance of heading north to DC for whatever reason instead of heading south to Raleigh/Durham.

Charlotte is definitely Raleigh's rival. Even Greensboro has a better chance over Richmond. For an out of state rival, Northern VA would be the best pick for the Research Triangle. I feel like we're heading in that kind of direction, but people in Northern VA still believe we're in a league below them.
Although Richmond has been a larger city longer, Raleigh has surpassed it in population and future prospects. I find the notion that Northern VA believing we're a league below them admirable, but ultimately not rooted in reality.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:47 AM

This poll also isn't rooted in reality it seems, lol.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:00 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
Although Richmond has been a larger city longer, Raleigh has surpassed it in population and future prospects. I find the notion that Northern VA believing we're a league below them admirable, but ultimately not rooted in reality.
Of course it is. NoVA has 2.9 million persons to the Triangle's 2.1 million. NoVA's GDP by itself, without the rest of the DC metro area, is $227.5 billion compared to the Triangle's $115 billion (source). NoVA has nine F500 headquarters and 180 million square feet of office space, while the Triangle only has two F500 companies and 65 million square feet of office space. NoVA has two major airports, Reagan and Dulles, both of which are significantly busier than RDU. NoVA has several miles of HRT and commuter rail while the Triangle has neither. NoVA has more retail, and more higher-end retail in particular, than the Triangle. The only thing the Triangle wins outright over NoVA is higher ed, but otherwise all the indicators are pretty clear that the Triangle is not in NoVA's league.

Quote:
This poll also isn't rooted in reality it seems, lol.
How can you say that people's personal preferences aren't reality? Raleigh isn't everybody's cup of tea you know.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Of course it is. NoVA has 2.9 million persons to the Triangle's 2.1 million. NoVA's GDP by itself, without the rest of the DC metro area, is $227.5 billion compared to the Triangle's $115 billion (source). NoVA has nine F500 headquarters and 180 million square feet of office space, while the Triangle only has two F500 companies and 65 million square feet of office space. NoVA has two major airports, Reagan and Dulles, both of which are significantly busier than RDU. NoVA has several miles of HRT and commuter rail while the Triangle has neither. NoVA has more retail, and more higher-end retail in particular, than the Triangle. The only thing the Triangle wins outright over NoVA is higher ed, but otherwise all the indicators are pretty clear that the Triangle is not in NoVA's league.

How can you say that people's personal preferences aren't reality? Raleigh isn't everybody's cup of tea you know.

I was talking about NoVA compared to NC as a whole ( at least that's what I was implying). Also with all that said, I still don't put them a league ahead. Ahead yes, but not a league. In my opinion Atlanta is what I consider a league ahead (if we're comparing the "New South") since their metro population clearly dwarfs any metro area in NC.

Personal Preferences aside, Richmond as a single city is half the size of Raleigh as a single city, and is growing slower as of right now. That's the reality. All this talk about how urban Richmond is in comparison to Raleigh doesn't seem to be helping Richmond's population in comparison to Raleigh's. Richmond will always win the polls on this site though, and it's a beautiful historical city.😉

Old 02-03-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I was talking about NoVA compared to NC as a whole ( at least that's what I was implying). Also with all that said, I still don't put them a league ahead. Ahead yes, but not a league. In my opinion Atlanta is what I consider a league ahead (if we're comparing the "New South") since their metro population clearly dwarfs any metro area in NC.
Nobody's comparing a part of one state (NoVA) with a whole state (NC) as that's not apples-to-apples. NC and VA overall are peer states but yeah, NoVA would be a league ahead of the Triangle, especially since in reality you can't separate it from the DC metro area.

Quote:
Personal Preferences aside, Richmond as a single city is half the size of Raleigh as a single city, and is growing slower as of right now. That's the reality. All this talk about how urban Richmond is in comparison to Raleigh doesn't seem to be helping Richmond's population in comparison to Raleigh's. Richmond will always win the polls on this site though, and it's a beautiful historical city.😉
Keep in mind that Richmond is less than half the size of Raleigh land-wise. Richmond being more urban is just a fact and has little to no bearing on population growth; it's older and matured/boomed much earlier than Raleigh, which is pretty much the same for many other older urban centers including NYC, Philly, Boston, Baltimore, etc. that don't post high growth figures today. That said, it still posts a pretty respectable, healthy, and sustainable metropolitan growth rate. Had it experienced a post-war growth spurt like Raleigh, many of its historic buildings would have probably been demolished in the name of "progress" so in retrospect it's great that it missed that boat.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Nobody's comparing a part of one state (NoVA) with a whole state (NC) as that's not apples-to-apples. NC and VA overall are peer states but yeah, NoVA would be a league ahead of the Triangle, especially since in reality you can't separate it from the DC metro area.

Keep in mind that Richmond is less than half the size of Raleigh land-wise. Richmond being more urban is just a fact and has little to no bearing on population growth; it's older and matured/boomed much earlier than Raleigh, which is pretty much the same for many other older urban centers including NYC, Philly, Boston, Baltimore, etc. that don't post high growth figures today. That said, it still posts a pretty respectable, healthy, and sustainable metropolitan growth rate. Had it experienced a post-war growth spurt like Raleigh, many of its historic buildings would have probably been demolished in the name of "progress" so in retrospect it's great that it missed that boat.
Understandable, but when comparing the two I'm just looking at the numbers, and they favor Raleigh (currently). I have no problem with Richmond, but I'm here to offer balance when it comes to Raleigh, because it gets a little one-sided on this site at times.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Understandable, but when comparing the two I'm just looking at the numbers, and they favor Raleigh (currently). I have no problem with Richmond, but I'm here to offer balance when it comes to Raleigh, because it gets a little one-sided on this site at times.
Nothing wrong with sticking up for your city.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:04 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
@epicene, but in any realistic measure besides Raleigh's New South growth, it is not "ahead" of Richmond on a pound-for-pound scale....

Clearly, Richmond has the larger, livelier downtown, and certainly doesn't 'feel' smaller than Raleigh. Charlotte clearly feels like a larger city---Raleigh, not so much. All of this hyper growth in Raleigh the last 20 years, still hasn't built a larger core, bore a more creative class, or a more sophisticated personality, than Richmond.....note, not that Raleigh lacks any of the aforementioned characteristics. Only that this growth surge you champion has yet to build Raleigh as a truly greater city....

Livability is subjective, but Richmond clearly offers more diversity in retail, dining, and business. Richmond probably loses in higher ed, but not by much, as UR and VCU hold up well against NC State. City-to-city, the higher ed is really a toss up, though admittedly, higher ed in the greater Triangle is the sure winner...

Bottom line is many misinformed people seem to believe Richmond is stagnant and has just stopped growing. Point of fact, it's not going to attract the same people a city like Raleigh does because while that whole "New South" thing is appealing to some, Richmond is a city's city---urban, walkable, educated, economically diverse, geographically appealing, visibly active, and offers an array of architecture and districts that have no parallel to anything in Raleigh (Mayo Island, Church Hill, The Fan, Carytown, I can name probably a dozen more neighborhoods)--hell, Manchester is a city within the city and has no equal counterpart within Raleigh. These areas offer retail, dining, and quality of life in some mixture that Raleigh doesn't even have...

Richmond is growing just fine. The city is back over 220,000 and feels larger than that, ESPECIALLY if Raleigh is the comparison base. The Triangle as a whole is stronger than Greater Richmond, no argument there....

But if we were trying to sell someone on living within the city limits of either city, Richmond has a good bit more strengths than Raleigh. People on here love hating on Richmond and calling it small, and yet Richmond is so much more evocative and aesthetically appealing than several "larger" cities on the East Coast. That certainly includes Raleigh....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City