Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Richmond VA 152 54.29%
Raleigh NC 128 45.71%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 11:53 AM

386 posts, read 986,580 times

Advertisements

Honestly, the comparison all boils down to what style of city you prefer. Richmond is historic, gritty, and walkable (similar to a more southern and smaller Baltimore/DC). In contrast, Raleigh is relatively new, shiny, and suburban (similar to Charlotte/Atlanta). In my opinion, Richmond feels larger than Raleigh despite the lower population, due to the urban layout throughout the core of the city (Downtown, Fan/Museum District, Northside, Church hill, Manchester, Shockoe Slip, etc). Raleigh is growing at a much faster pace at the moment, but Richmond is showing signs of growth/resurgence also.

Last edited by Kbank007; 04-21-2016 at 12:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 12:37 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Richmond's skyline is awful, looks straight out of the 70's. Raleigh wins on that front. I like how Richmond has the James flowing through, though.
Richmond's skyline is boxy, but it's also dense and textured; I think it wins that one over Raleigh, especially if you throw in the natural setting.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:48 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,785,332 times
I voted Richmond. Raleigh is too sterile. It could be Anywhere, USA.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:57 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I voted Richmond. Raleigh is too sterile. It could be Anywhere, USA.
There's a very preppy suburban southern vibe in Raleigh but your statement is true for the most part. Cary is cliche anywhere USA.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:54 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
If Raleigh is the only stop between DC and Atlanta on the Beyonce tour, does that also mean Raleigh is more important than Charlotte? Stop it....

Raleigh's single flight to London is in no way a hindrance for Richmond. Richmond's proximity to the Nation's Capital is the only reason Richmond lacks international flights. Otherwise, being that it is already a more inportant center of government and corporate clientele , it would have them...

And just no for nightlife. Stop it...

Old 04-25-2016, 02:35 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,514,172 times
-Vibe/Energy: Richmond
-Retail Mix/Amenities: Raleigh
-Nightlife/Entertainment: Don't know
-Education: Raleigh
-Economic Outlook: Raleigh
-Cultural Attractions: Tie
-QOL Preference: Slight edge to Raleigh

Raleigh

Old 03-18-2017, 07:39 PM

So, me and my beautiful lady, who is from Raleigh, have been contemplating a Raleigh move this summer. Staying in Richmond is still on the table, but Raleigh and Norfolk are the front runners. And I'll be honest, I've kinda been looking forward to Raleigh. In our time together I've gotten a stronger appreciation for Raleigh than I previously had, there are certain enviable characteristics in the personality of the city that I like. Last week, we spent an entire day in Norfolk. This week, an entire day in Raleigh (we're still here and spending the night tonight). I've grown more and more familiar with Raleigh and Norfolk, so I want to touch back on the OP criteria:

Vibe/Energy: All three cities have a completely different energy. Richmond definitely has more "boots on the ground" than either Raleigh or Norfolk. That high level of foot traffic is attractive to me. Richmond has much higher peak densities and as a surprise to nobody, has the more urban look and feel. Raleigh is definitely suburban, even within its signature urban neighborhoods...

Raleigh is a cleaner, neater city, so that plays into its personality. More of a smarty vibe in Raleigh without feeling douchey, while Richmond is without question more artsy. The arts and creative sensibilities are all over Richmond. This dynamic exists in Raleigh too, but in a quieter, more low key way. Overall, while I fully believe that vibe/energy is subject to preference, I personally can't give this to Raleigh. Richmond has that gruff, urban aesthetic that just simply isn't matched anywhere in Raleigh...

Retail: Raleigh has Crabtree, Cary Towne Center and Triangle Towne Center as the major malls, with more localized shopping in the North Hills and Cameron Village areas. Richmond has Short Pump, Virginia Center Commons, Chesterfield Towne Center and Stony Point as the primary shopping destinations. Carytown and Westhampton (Libbie/Grove) are urban retail destinations, but there is retail spots scattered throughout urban Richmond to a lesser degree, like in Church Hill. Crabtree is the largest shopping mall between the two. Richmond has more local retailers and better urban retail. They are about equivalent upscale shopping. I can't make a real compelling case for Raleigh having better shopping unless we include the entire Triangle. It's more than fair to say that Richmond by itself possibly has a slight advantage...

Nightlife and Entertainment: Glenwood South is the premier nightlife district in Raleigh. It is pretty good. Where are the other nightlife areas? Richmond has nightlife from The Fan to Shockoe Bottom and seems to have a larger range of nightlife options--again, unless we use the entire Triangle, but I won't make a declaration. Even Manchester has a nightlife pulse. I think both have adequate nightlife comparable to their size...

Education: We all know this is Raleigh. Richmond is more educated than it gets credit for, though...

Economic Outlook: This may slightly favor Raleigh, but both cities are in favorable economic shape with great outlooks...

Cultural Attractions: We did the Science Museum today, my first time, my lady's 5th time there, unsurprisingly. Actually a very nice museum, it was real busy today, too. Raleigh doesn't have the density of museums as Richmond. Culturally, this is where my excitement for a Raleigh move has begun to wane. I don't know how long I can take the suburbia. This is a real thing, and I consider myself more open to different types of cities than most people, but the city is massively suburban. And honestly, the most comparable city to Raleigh is Charlotte. Literally every happening area of Raleigh has a duplicate in Charlotte (North Hills, Glenwood South, Boylan Heights, Cameron Village, etc), to a higher degree in Charlotte. My biggest gripe with Raleigh is that I can experience the same type of culture in Charlotte with a higher quality of life. Culturally, Richmond is something completely different...

I love pro sports and Raleigh has the Hurricanes, which are not a major draw. Richmond has no major league team, but the Redskins camp there. Richmond is essentially a secondary market for DC franchises. College sports, I can get my fix through UR and VCU if I was thoroughly into it. Both cities have plenty in the way of entertainment. Bigger concert tours hit Raleigh. Richmond has one of the best local music scenes for a city it's size. Probably a tie?

QOL: I like Raleigh, but I love Richmond. Biggest thing I enjoy about Raleigh is the diversity amongst it's black culture. There is an empowerment in black Raleigh that isn't present to the same degree as black Richmond...

Raleigh is an enjoyable city and though I still look forward to living there, it's not a city I can see making my home long term. Norfolk fits more to my personality. For the record, my girlfriend has also said that she doesn't want to live in Raleigh long term, either. I feel like the biggest knock on Richmond is the inability to get minor things done--The Diamond should have long been replaced, so should the Coliseum, etc. There are more things Richmond can do to make itself more of a destination, but the trajectory of the city is clearly positive. Richmond's resurgence is something special and Raleigh has no such resurgence to speak of. I'd be happy in either city, but if I could convince my girlfriend to go to Charlotte (she hates Charlotte), Raleigh probably wouldn't be an option. So much about Raleigh is over in Charlotte to a higher level, and I love Charlotte. So, I prefer Richmond...

Old 03-19-2017, 11:56 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
So, me and my beautiful lady, who is from Raleigh, have been contemplating a Raleigh move this summer. Staying in Richmond is still on the table, but Raleigh and Norfolk are the front runners. And I'll be honest, I've kinda been looking forward to Raleigh. In our time together I've gotten a stronger appreciation for Raleigh than I previously had, there are certain enviable characteristics in the personality of the city that I like. Last week, we spent an entire day in Norfolk. This week, an entire day in Raleigh (we're still here and spending the night tonight). I've grown more and more familiar with Raleigh and Norfolk, so I want to touch back on the OP criteria:

Vibe/Energy: All three cities have a completely different energy. Richmond definitely has more "boots on the ground" than either Raleigh or Norfolk. That high level of foot traffic is attractive to me. Richmond has much higher peak densities and as a surprise to nobody, has the more urban look and feel. Raleigh is definitely suburban, even within its signature urban neighborhoods...

Raleigh is a cleaner, neater city, so that plays into its personality. More of a smarty vibe in Raleigh without feeling douchey, while Richmond is without question more artsy. The arts and creative sensibilities are all over Richmond. This dynamic exists in Raleigh too, but in a quieter, more low key way. Overall, while I fully believe that vibe/energy is subject to preference, I personally can't give this to Raleigh. Richmond has that gruff, urban aesthetic that just simply isn't matched anywhere in Raleigh...

Retail: Raleigh has Crabtree, Cary Towne Center and Triangle Towne Center as the major malls, with more localized shopping in the North Hills and Cameron Village areas. Richmond has Short Pump, Virginia Center Commons, Chesterfield Towne Center and Stony Point as the primary shopping destinations. Carytown and Westhampton (Libbie/Grove) are urban retail destinations, but there is retail spots scattered throughout urban Richmond to a lesser degree, like in Church Hill. Crabtree is the largest shopping mall between the two. Richmond has more local retailers and better urban retail. They are about equivalent upscale shopping. I can't make a real compelling case for Raleigh having better shopping unless we include the entire Triangle. It's more than fair to say that Richmond by itself possibly has a slight advantage...

Nightlife and Entertainment: Glenwood South is the premier nightlife district in Raleigh. It is pretty good. Where are the other nightlife areas? Richmond has nightlife from The Fan to Shockoe Bottom and seems to have a larger range of nightlife options--again, unless we use the entire Triangle, but I won't make a declaration. Even Manchester has a nightlife pulse. I think both have adequate nightlife comparable to their size...

Education: We all know this is Raleigh. Richmond is more educated than it gets credit for, though...

Economic Outlook: This may slightly favor Raleigh, but both cities are in favorable economic shape with great outlooks...

Cultural Attractions: We did the Science Museum today, my first time, my lady's 5th time there, unsurprisingly. Actually a very nice museum, it was real busy today, too. Raleigh doesn't have the density of museums as Richmond. Culturally, this is where my excitement for a Raleigh move has begun to wane. I don't know how long I can take the suburbia. This is a real thing, and I consider myself more open to different types of cities than most people, but the city is massively suburban. And honestly, the most comparable city to Raleigh is Charlotte. Literally every happening area of Raleigh has a duplicate in Charlotte (North Hills, Glenwood South, Boylan Heights, Cameron Village, etc), to a higher degree in Charlotte. My biggest gripe with Raleigh is that I can experience the same type of culture in Charlotte with a higher quality of life. Culturally, Richmond is something completely different...

I love pro sports and Raleigh has the Hurricanes, which are not a major draw. Richmond has no major league team, but the Redskins camp there. Richmond is essentially a secondary market for DC franchises. College sports, I can get my fix through UR and VCU if I was thoroughly into it. Both cities have plenty in the way of entertainment. Bigger concert tours hit Raleigh. Richmond has one of the best local music scenes for a city it's size. Probably a tie?

QOL: I like Raleigh, but I love Richmond. Biggest thing I enjoy about Raleigh is the diversity amongst it's black culture. There is an empowerment in black Raleigh that isn't present to the same degree as black Richmond...

Raleigh is an enjoyable city and though I still look forward to living there, it's not a city I can see making my home long term. Norfolk fits more to my personality. For the record, my girlfriend has also said that she doesn't want to live in Raleigh long term, either. I feel like the biggest knock on Richmond is the inability to get minor things done--The Diamond should have long been replaced, so should the Coliseum, etc. There are more things Richmond can do to make itself more of a destination, but the trajectory of the city is clearly positive. Richmond's resurgence is something special and Raleigh has no such resurgence to speak of. I'd be happy in either city, but if I could convince my girlfriend to go to Charlotte (she hates Charlotte), Raleigh probably wouldn't be an option. So much about Raleigh is over in Charlotte to a higher level, and I love Charlotte. So, I prefer Richmond...
Raleigh never needed one. It is larger, growing faster, and never declined/remained stagnant.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Raleigh never needed one. It is larger, growing faster, and never declined/remained stagnant.
You're right, it didnt. I was trying to illustrate that gives Richmond a certain resiliency to the fabric of the city...

Richmond has a more complex personality. Both cities are dynamic in their own right. Raleigh and Richmond are the same size, separated by fewer than 20,000 people. The Triangle is a larger region than Richmond. Even that aside, Downtown Raleigh is very underwhelming compared to Downtown Richmond. It is much smaller, far less pedestrian activity and street vibrancy, quieter. I and others have mentioned this before. I guess when you get around to experiencing both cities equally you'll have an awareness of this fact...

The only other thing that could make Raleigh feel larger are the wide thoroughfares and widespread suburban nature. Raleigh is great, but there is truly no real urban part of the city. That takes into account housing diversity, building density, street activity, etc. Richmond has much better residential and building architecture. Most of Raleigh is New Urbanism, standard office park or that old South type houses (obviously there are other types of architecture). Richmond has that but also a very expansive range of architectural diversity...

The cities largely appeal to different people. For my girlfriend Richmond is too loud and urban for her, which is why she prefers Norfolk, which is smaller and more laid back. The fingerprint of the arts are all over Richmond. She isn't the artistic type. She's intellectually creative in the way that Raleighites are, rather than physically creative or demonstrative. That's Richmond...

I continue to learn more about Raleigh, and I can live there, but it's very difficult to affirmatively call Raleigh a "better" city than Richmond. Raleigh does have better public education; its premier university is a better school than Richmond's; its collective education class is just at a higher level, but that would be Raleigh compared to most places (like Charlotte, and Raleigh is nowhere near being a "better" city than Charlotte). Richmond in no way is stagnant or in decline, so once again we all know Raleigh is growing faster, but that is Raleigh compared to many cities that it isn't "better" than; if I'm not mistaken Raleigh is still one of the five fastest growing cities in the nation. It has that going as more of a destination place. It doesn't offer more on the whole than what can be found in Richmond....

Nobody experiencing the two has ever come away with the impression that Raleigh is larger or has more going on unless "Raleigh" really means the entire Triangle. Same thing with Norfolk--absolutely nobody has ever said Norfolk looks or feels larger than Richmond unless "Norfolk" means the entire Hampton Roads region...

Both cities are at the top of their tier. I enjoy both for different reasons...

Old 03-20-2017, 02:03 AM

998 posts, read 1,248,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Give it a rest, Richmond is winning by 10 percentage points.....there's a reason for that.

Last edited by Poquoson7; 03-20-2017 at 02:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City