Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 02:25 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,218,434 times

Advertisements

who cares? an obvious troll, anyone can see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 03:55 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,670,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zayzay View Post
nope. i'm just saying La beats dallas in each and every way except for schools.(not including college)
Yes your grammar proves that.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:26 PM

656 posts, read 1,357,798 times
I've been to Los Angeles and planned to move there, however the job market killed me getting on with LAPD, so I moved to Fort Worth.

LA definitely has the better weather, scenery etc. However, I believe your quality of life in Texas money wise is much much better. 1600 a month for a studio in LA in a "decent" area, gives you a mortgage here with a 5000sq ft home, swimming pool, etc etc.

Just depends on what you want. LA is definitely awesome though, and sometimes wish could be out there, but then again California is in such a hole, I don't know if they will ever really come out of it..

Old 04-22-2010, 01:32 AM

55 posts, read 158,499 times
Default Hey Motoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
I moved from Dallas three years ago and I have the same observations as yourself.

I find LA to be much more in-line with what I want out of living in a big city. There is considerably more to do here, from nightlife to the beaches to the mountains, etc. The people I find to be nicer. You can find the snobby crowd if you'd like, but overall I do think the people are nicer in LA. And I think that stems a lot from the more multicultural mix of the city.

You are correct, Dallas is very homogeneous. Certainly there are all races there, but they tend to be much more segregated in everyday life. You still have a lot of segregation in LA, but in everyday life it seems people are much more mixed up.

My dating life is a perfect example. In Dallas I typically only met white, American women. In LA, without doing anything other than living my normal life, I have dated French, Russian, German, Chinese, Japanese, and Hispanic women. That never would have happened in Dallas. You'll find the same wherever you go. You'll meet people from all over. And as a result there is much more culture here.

Certainly traffic blows and the cost of housing is absurd, but if you can get over those things then I think you'll find LA to be a fantastic place to live. I don't even like visiting Dallas anymore. I grew up there. And compared to LA it's boring as can be.

But as far as weather goes, Dallas and LA are totally different. It rarely rains out here. I have actually met people that have never heard a thunderstorm. I haven't heard a single one in the three years I've been here. Weather in LA is either nice or mostly nice. Even a bad weather day is nice. People complain when it's cloudy.

I'm actually a Texan too from Mineral Wells and moved to L.A almost a decade ago. Now, with the down economy and going through a lay off and a break up at the same time, I'm seriously considering moving BACK to Texas and probably live in Dallas. I feel the opposite as you. I find the Texas folk to be nicer than a lot of the fake L.A. people. The cost of living here is ridiculous and if you're not making at least 60,000 forget about having a pleasurable experience in L.A. Yes, the traffic is a nightmare unless you can find a niche area to live and avoid the 405 and 101. Guess I just haven't had good luck with jobs since I've been here. I have a degree but I just haven't landed that lucky break. Now, I'm working odd jobs to stay afloat and Texas is looking very alluring at the moment-especially the cheap rents.

So what do you think. Should I stay or should I go?

Old 04-22-2010, 01:37 AM

Default Ebuch..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
I've been to Los Angeles and planned to move there, however the job market killed me getting on with LAPD, so I moved to Fort Worth.

LA definitely has the better weather, scenery etc. However, I believe your quality of life in Texas money wise is much much better. 1600 a month for a studio in LA in a "decent" area, gives you a mortgage here with a 5000sq ft home, swimming pool, etc etc.

Just depends on what you want. LA is definitely awesome though, and sometimes wish could be out there, but then again California is in such a hole, I don't know if they will ever really come out of it..
I'm in L.A. now and suffering. It's going to take a longggggggg time for L.A to come out of this economic nightmare. I got laid off and managed to find some odd low paying jobs to get me by. I even considered house cleaning and couldn't even find that as none of them were hiring. I would not suggest ANYONE to move here unless you have a really great fantastic awesome job lined up first. The companies are low balling their employees and they have the upper. It sucks. I hate the cost of living here too. I'd like to be able to purchase a home one day and uh, it's gonna be kind of difficult to do that.
If I decide to move back to Dallas, Yes, I'm going to miss this beautiful place like hell but I won't miss the cost of living and the traffic.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:43 AM

Default Mottoman..

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
People in LA don't make much more than those in Dallas. When I was looking for a job out here most of the offers I got were for what I was making in Dallas. I couldn't live on that income out here. Luckily I found a better paying gig.

What you'll find is that most people have roommates, live in smaller places, and honestly are just up to their necks in debt to support the "LA" lifestyle.

If you figure you'll spend $1,000+ a month in rent for a crappy place compared to Dallas standards (many places don't include refrigerators, don't have air conditioning because you don't need it, don't have washers and dryers in the apartments, and are mostly old, poorly maintained, square stucco buildings, and you might get a parking spot), you'll spend gobs of time stuck in traffic (with the resulting gasoline bill to go with it), and everything else is more expensive as well ($5-$8 beers, plus tip, most everywhere, for example), and you'll find that whatever you're making in Dallas won't go far at all.

I would say as a single person, if you're not making at least $40,000 to $50,000 a year, and living with a roomate, you won't have very much fun out here because you won't be able to afford to do much.

A lot of people will disagree with me and tell you that you can live on $10,000 a year and be perfectly happy, which is true if you never do anything that costs money. But, for example, a night out at the bars with your buddies can easily cost you $50-$100 per person, and that's just alcohol. A date? $50-$100. And that's just dinner and drinks at no place nice. Cheap seats at Dodger stadium with a few drinks and food, with parking, gas to get there, etc., $50 per person.

Yeah, you can do things more cheaply, but just be realistic about what things cost if you plan on entertaining yourself much.
If L.A had the cost of living like Dallas and a more organized traffic infrastructure, I really believe this place would be almost perfect. It's such a mirage if you don't know what's underneath the fantasy.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:49 AM

Default Ballistic..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
Screw that! I'm staying in Dallas and getting a 5/6 LA experience without having to live like a pauper!
Mottoman is right. I currently live in L.A and I'm from Mineral Wells, Texas. I've been here for almost 10 years. It's tough to make a good living here unless you have savings built up before you move, can live with your parents until you have saved thousands to move out, can make and I'll say at least 60,000 and I used to make that. You need to be making at least 60,000 to be truly comfortable here. Now, I'm laid off and doing odd jobs and thinking about moving back. It's miserable here and it's really hard to find a good job right now unless you are a nurse, doctor, lawyer, etc. It's tough and I don't see it getting any better anytime soon. The city is still laying off city employees left and and right and this state as a whole is a cluster****--excuse my french but it is. Yes, it's gorgeous here and tons of things to do and tons of people to meet but if you're not making 40,000 grand absolute minimum, your quality of life is not that good. I'm living it now and wishing I was back in Dallas. I almost wish I never moved here.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _charles_ View Post
dfw / north texas is one of the last major metro areas where housing proces are still in line with what folks earn. A good paying job equals a beautiful home in dfw. Not so in la - you can be making as much as $100k a year and still be forced to live modestly in a tiny condo.

Yes the weather, beaches, things to do and nightlife of la are great but one can only enjoy them so much when the hyperinflated housing costs leave one living like a church mouse.
nuff said!! Amen.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungry for cheese View Post
l.a. Is a pit. Unless your superficial and hung up on keeping up with the joneses, than stay in dallas.
i totally agree. I live in l.a now and i'm suffering like hell. Got laid off and now doing odd jobs. I'm on this forum to see what you guys are thinking and i'm seriously thinking about moving back to my home..texas.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post
If I had to choose one city for you it would be
San Diego... it has the diversity, and its a mixture of Texas and California
Well I think so
Yes, I agree. I live in L.A. now and I just don't like it here. I'm from Texas and have lived here for 10years. I miss that slower pace and more suburb feel. I'm thinking about moving to San Diego if I can just find a job. Got laid off and been doing odd jobs to stay afloat. It sucks now. I saw that San Diego is going better in terms of jobs. LA is Fd up right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City