Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 10:21 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Ive never been to Dallas and from what I've heard, Dallas is NOT like LA. The closest thing you guys in TX have to LA is Austin.
mmm... not really... LA is a sprawl, Dallas, Houston, Denver, Phoenix etc... are sprawls... they all look the same from the road, if i were to take a picture here i bet you couldn't tell it was not LA....
if you mean politically...well assuming that LA: is a complete college city, located on grassy plains, and filled with young liberal former Californians...then yeah... Every City is unique and every city is the same... There isn't another LA in the world but Dallas, Houston, and the big city named after a bird are LA too...Every city has its similarities and differences... You won't find an LA in Texas... and then again you will... actually we're seeing a big Influx of you guys so were probably getting more LA-ish by the day...Which i like and dislike, i do like the fact LA has more asians, but that is only thing that separates LA and Dallas...there is no lack of Hispanics, jews, Blacks, whites, aliens, martians, Plutonian...the only thing we're missing is lots Asians...
I'll move to LA when i'm rich

as far as diversity goes, well my parents met here in Dallas, one is Mexican and One is Chinese, and I went to a public Asian majority school when i was in elementary... yup, my redneck city...one that is Minority Majority, by mostly Hispanics and blacks is redneck...yup i have to accept the truth...

Last edited by CMDallas; 12-09-2007 at 10:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 11:11 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Austin sucks try Houston or San Antonio
I second that.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:41 PM

274 posts, read 320,284 times
Dallas pales in comparison to Los Angeles. Sorry.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:46 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
L.A offers a Greater Variety in practically every category and better weather compared to Dallas...Dallas has a lower cost of living though.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:53 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
L.A offers a Greater Variety in practically every category and better weather compared to Dallas...Dallas has a lower cost of living though.
That's about it in a nutshell. I hated not being near the ocean when I visited Dallas and the humidity....well. It all boils down to cost of living for you and what is worth it. You will pay the price to live in LA, in many ways. 46 year resident.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:24 AM

175 posts, read 731,361 times
Dallas is landlocked... Enough said.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:11 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,512 times
DFW / North Texas is one of the last major metro areas where housing proces are still in line with what folks earn. A good paying job equals a beautiful home in DFW. NOT SO in LA - you can be making as much as $100k a year and still be forced to live modestly in a tiny condo.

Yes the weather, beaches, things to do and nightlife of LA are great but one can only enjoy them so much when the hyperinflated housing costs leave one living like a church mouse.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:12 PM

186 posts, read 659,715 times
Default Job opportunities

Do you speak Spanish? Many of the entry-level marketing jobs require Spanish-language skills. My husband moved here from San Antonio. In some ways LA is like the Wild West in terms of jobs. They're often less picky here about credentials and care more about results.

You can have a lot of fun in Los Angeles. I say, if you can find a job, come out, try it for five years, and then move back to Dallas when you want to settle down. At least then you can say you've done it. And you'll understand all the inside jokes they write in movies and TV.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:25 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,876 times
L.A. is a pit. Unless your superficial and hung up on keeping up with the Joneses, than stay in Dallas.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:21 PM

830 posts, read 2,860,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
L.A. is a pit. Unless your superficial and hung up on keeping up with the Joneses, than stay in Dallas.

You're kidding, right? Dallas is even more pretentious than LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City