Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Southern State
Texas 118 53.39%
Florida 103 46.61%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 10:20 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times

Advertisements

FLA for sure

Old 03-17-2014, 10:24 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times
East Texas and Northern Florida. A larger percentage of Floridas population would be considered southern compared to East Texas' relatively small population.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:32 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,602,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
That isn't the topic of the thread. We are all in agreement that Texas is not as Southern as Georgia or Mississippi.
For sure acknowledging the point...however...?

Although I absolutely agree on lots of levels, as in that Texas is definitely not as "Southern" as Mississippi or Georgia (if the standard to be used is the "classic" Old South/Hollywood/novel depiction)?

I still think it is worth mentioning and can be said that if the "frontier and independent" spirit which characterized the settlement of the South in westward moving, can be said to play a major role?

Then it is nowhere stronger than in Texas (i.e. GTT...Gone To Texas, ring a bell in history books LOL)?

Don't get me wrong. This is not intended in the least to say Texas is the "most Southern" state of all. That would be silly. BUT...it IS intended to make the point that the South has many dimensions about it...and that Gone With the Wind is only one of them...

Old 03-17-2014, 10:50 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
East Texas and Northern Florida. A larger percentage of Floridas population would be considered southern compared to East Texas' relatively small population.
Eh, both of the largest cities in both states are in the most culturally Southern parts of both states. Jacksonville in North Florida, and Houston in East Texas. Most Texans live West of I-45, most Floridians live on I-4 and points South(Peninsular Florida). Same dynamics. North Florida is less populated than the rest of Florida, in the same way East Texas is less populated than the rest of Texas. At least with Texas, Houston seems to have a larger presence/influence in parts of the state, than Jacksonville does in Florida. You won't hear people say Houston might as well not be apart of Texas, the same way folks in Florida say that about Jacksonville, or even the whole panhandle of Florida. Talks(mostly joking) of state division between North Florida/Florida Handle, separating from Peninsular Florida, are more common than thoughts of East Texas separating from the rest of Texas.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:21 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,334,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Eh, both of the largest cities in both states are in the most culturally Southern parts of both states. Jacksonville in North Florida, and Houston in East Texas. Most Texans live West of I-45, most Floridians live on I-4 and points South(Peninsular Florida). Same dynamics. North Florida is less populated than the rest of Florida, in the same way East Texas is less populated than the rest of Texas. At least with Texas, Houston seems to have a larger presence/influence in parts of the state, than Jacksonville does in Florida. You won't hear people say Houston might as well not be apart of Texas, the same way folks in Florida say that about Jacksonville, or even the whole panhandle of Florida. Talks(mostly joking) of state division between North Florida/Florida Handle, separating from Peninsular Florida, are more common than thoughts of East Texas separating from the rest of Texas.
........WHAT?!

You do realize that Jacksonville only has massive city boundaries, right? Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, with more than 5.5 million people, has more than four times the number of people than Jacksonville, which has not even 1.4 million. Tampa Bay, the next largest metro, has more than twice the number of people than Jacksonville does.

List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both of Texas' largest cities, Dallas-Ft. Worth with 6.5 million, and Houston with 6 million, are in eastern Texas.

I don't buy the stereotype that Jacksonville is another southern city anymore either. It seems to me like everyone says that but no one has even been to Jacksonville to see this supposed Southern culture either. I can say of the dozen or so friends I made during my life who were from there none of them fit the southern mold like the people I met in Dallas.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:24 AM

202 posts, read 319,976 times
Quote:
........WHAT?!

You do realize that Jacksonville only has massive city boundaries, right? Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, with more than 5.5 million people, has more than four times the number of people than Jacksonville, which has not even 1.4 million. Tampa Bay, the next largest metro, has more than twice the number of people than Jacksonville does.

List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both of Texas' largest cities, Dallas-Ft. Worth with 6.5 million, and Houston with 6 million, are in eastern Texas.

I don't buy the stereotype that Jacksonville is another southern city anymore either. It seems to me like everyone says that but no one has even been to Jacksonville to see this supposed Southern culture either. I can say of the dozen or so friends I made during my life who were from there none of them fit the southern mold like the people I met in Dallas.
He obviously wasn't talking metro just city proper. He's technically right so have a coke and smile and chill

Old 03-18-2014, 12:27 AM

352 posts, read 780,824 times
Definitely Texas.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:38 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,897,353 times
Quote:

... DFW is in eastern Texas?

Old 03-18-2014, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
... DFW is in eastern Texas?
Of course it is. Where else would it be considered. Dallas is completely within northeastern Texas.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd_funkadelic View Post
He obviously wasn't talking metro just city proper. He's technically right so have a coke and smile and chill
I won't when such an absolutely absurd claim as this "both of the largest cities in both states are in the most culturally Southern parts of both states." was made in an attempt to paint Florida as southern. Jacksonville is by a large margin the smallest of Florida's major cities. Houston and Dallas on the other hand are hands down the largest cities in Texas, and both are in the east of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City