Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Southern State
Texas 118 53.39%
Florida 103 46.61%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 11:36 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,971,651 times

Advertisements

Outside of the Miami metro, Florida is very Southern. South Texas and most of San Atonio is more Mexican American culture than Southern. The rest of the Texas Triangle has a Southern feel, as does deep East Texas. West of I-35 has more of a Western than Southern culture.

In Florida, 90% of the state's area is Southern and 75% of the population. In Texas, it's more like 1/3 of the state's area, but 2/3 of the population given that the Texas triangle and East Texas is the most densely populated part of the state.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:38 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Outside of the Miami metro, Florida is very Southern. South Texas and most of San Atonio is more Mexican American culture than Southern. The rest of the Texas Triangle has a Southern feel, as does deep East Texas. West of I-35 has more of a Western than Southern culture.

In Florida, 90% of the state's area is Southern and 75% of the population. In Texas, it's more like 1/3 of the state's area, but 2/3 of the population given that the Texas triangle and East Texas is the most densely populated part of the state.
These two things are not mutually exclusive and if you grew up in Texas I think you'd know that.

The way I see it, San Antonio is every bit as southern as Orlando or Tampa. Houston, Dallas and East Texas would be more on par with North Florida.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:46 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Dallas is more like Orlando Southern than it is like Tallahassee. Houston is like Gainesville Southern or maybe even Jacksonville Southern than it is like Tallahassee or Crestview. Though you could also make an argument that it's like the I-4 corridor itself. Tyler, Lufkin, Nacogdoches is like Tallahassee though.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:57 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Dallas is more like Orlando Southern than it is like Tallahassee. Houston is like Gainesville Southern or maybe even Jacksonville Southern than it is like Tallahassee or Crestview. Though you could also make an argument that it's like the I-4 corridor itself. Tyler, Lufkin, Nacogdoches is like Tallahassee though.
YMMV. As I stated in another thread, I was in Dallas as recently as Valentine's Day. I toured pretty much the entire south side and the food, accents and certainly the religious atmosphere were unmistakably more southern then what I get from Central Floridians. Dallas blacks in particular bare many similarities with blacks from Arkansas and Mississippi.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:19 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
These two things are not mutually exclusive and if you grew up in Texas I think you'd know that.

The way I see it, San Antonio is every bit as southern as Orlando or Tampa. Houston, Dallas and East Texas would be more on par with North Florida.
What is your take on Austin, El Paso, and Southwest Florida?

Old 02-18-2017, 01:57 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,718 times
Quote:
YMMV. As I stated in another thread, I was in Dallas as recently as Valentine's Day. I toured pretty much the entire south side and the food, accents and certainly the religious atmosphere were unmistakably more southern then what I get from Central Floridians. Dallas blacks in particular bare many similarities with blacks from Arkansas and Mississippi.
My experience as well when I moved to Dallas from Tampa. Southern culture is far more noticeable in Dallas than Tampa. It's not even debatable to those who have lived or spent significant time in both cities.

That speaks for Orlando too. The largest group of people in Orlando are Puerto Rican's, many if not most of whom came to central Florida via New York City. That is about as not-southern as one can get.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:59 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Right and to me I think Orlando blacks bare many similarities with South Georgia Blacks. My family in Orlando isn't much different than the Blacks in North Florida and Southern Georgia. Even Central Georgia. You saw it in the music and even with the accents. Also, both cities have rather new but fast growing large Latino populations. Different from Arkansas, Mississippi, and Southern Georgia so that influence does factor in for me.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:24 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,029 times
I would say Florida. It's pretty southern all the way down to say West Palm Beach then it becomes Miami Metro which is different. Texas is kind of it's own thing much like California is.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:00 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
I would say Florida. It's pretty southern all the way down to say West Palm Beach then it becomes Miami Metro which is different. Texas is kind of it's own thing much like California is.
Not even sure what to make of this nonsense. Clearly you don't know what Tampa, Orlando, SW Florida, or all the areas in between are like.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:51 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,460 times
I'm surprised the poll is so close. I would've though Texas would be a clear winner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City