Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2010, 08:50 PM

818 posts, read 1,389,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You aren't a New Yorker, though. Your'e a smug transplant that moved there - the worst kind. Living there obviously boosts your ego, that's for sure.

I'm not from here, but I most certainly am proud to call this place home. You might figure it out when you grow up. In the meantime, travel a little. It's a real eye-opener.
Ok Captain Atlanta... you feel good about yourself now calling me "smug".

Of course living here boosts my ego, I am paying taxes to live in this city, I love this city very much! I respect the natives and when I'm in NYC, I don't go around talking about where I am from or wanting things to be like where I am from. NYC is a great place, and every New Yorker who holds their own and can manage to live here has every reason to be proud. I've traveled quite a bit, seen my fare share of the country and no place compares to my home NYC to me.

Atlanta, heard you all are proud to be the NYC of the South, so you're about halfway there in pride.

For the nightlife thread I would say NYC, Vegas, Miami are the best nightlifes in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Again, wait until the metro Census figures come out.

And if you REALLY want to see stark segregation, why don't you throw up the map of your precious New York? Now THATS what I call segregation.
NYC may be a bit segregated and I admit it is compared to LA, Houston, Seattle, SF, and Dallas but its still more diverse and more integrated than Atlanta. That's all Atlantans ever say, "wait till the census comes out" and so what? Atlanta isn't going anywhere when the census comes out, its still going to be plain non diverse segregated deep southern Atlanta at the end of the day.

NYC's segregation is a wonderful thing, because of it we have ethnic neighborhoods and enclaves. Atlanta has one none of that to the scale of other cities. I feel sorry for the multinational people that really do live there

Old 12-28-2010, 08:56 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Ok Captain Atlanta... you feel good about yourself now calling me "smug".

Of course living here boosts my ego, I am paying taxes to live in this city, I love this city very much! I respect the natives and when I'm in NYC, I don't go around talking about where I am from or wanting things to be like where I am from. NYC is a great place, and every New Yorker who holds their own and can manage to live here has every reason to be proud. I've traveled quite a bit, seen my fare share of the country and no place compares to my home NYC to me.

Atlanta, heard you all are proud to be the NYC of the South, so you're about halfway there in pride.

For the nightlife thread I would say NYC, Vegas, Miami are the best nightlifes in the nation.
Nativel New Yorkers are embarrassed by the likes of you, Miss New York.

We also have every right to be proud of this place.

And the only people that call Atlanta the New York of the South don't live here. They tend to be people like you that are absolutely clueless when it comes to Atlanta. You seem to be extremely threatened by this place. Why?

Old 12-28-2010, 08:57 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
No, Cleveland, via 10 other places before ending up here.
What made you want to leave Cleveland

Old 12-28-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Nativel New Yorkers are embarrassed by the likes of you, Miss New York.

We also have every right to be proud of this place.

And the only people that call Atlanta the New York of the South don't live here. They tend to be people like you that are absolutely clueless when it comes to Atlanta. You seem to be extremely threatened by this place. Why?
First off why would anyone in their right mind be threatened from the capital of the deep south??

Secondly, native New Yorkers meaning not you, aren't embarrassed by me or anyone else. Unlike most transplants, I like the real NYC, not the transplant changing NYC. IMO, NYC in the 90's was the best place in the country when transplants didn't have a say in what stores stay or leave, what neighborhoods get a make over or not... I'm a transplants who wants to keep NYC the way it is.

Thirdly, your precious Atlantans make it their top headline news online to let the world know they are the New York of the South.
"The rapid expansion of Atlanta over the past twenty years has contributed greatly to its modern day reputation among tourists and residents alike as a city of limitless potential; more than deserving of the moniker “The New York of the South”."
Atlanta, Georgia – The New York of The South - The Real Atlanta .com - Entertainment Music Arts Local Artists Live Bands Indie Music Clubs Shows Rock Bands Hits Restaurants Pubs Atlanta Georgia

Search "Atlanta the New York of the South" and I got 72.8 million search results for that... 72 MILLION

Old 12-28-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
NYC may be a bit segregated and I admit it is compared to LA, Houston, Seattle, SF, and Dallas but its still more diverse and more integrated than Atlanta. That's all Atlantans ever say, "wait till the census comes out" and so what? Atlanta isn't going anywhere when the census comes out, its still going to be plain non diverse segregated deep southern Atlanta at the end of the day.

NYC's segregation is a wonderful thing, because of it we have ethnic neighborhoods and enclaves. Atlanta has one none of that to the scale of other cities. I feel sorry for the multinational people that really do live there
No, it isn't more integrated than metro Atlanta. Every ethnicity has their individual enclaves, including in the suburbs.

You honestly think segregation is a wonderful thing, huh? That's just sick, in my opinion. Those little segregated enclaves you're so proud of happened because the immigrants of yesterday HAD NO CHOICE. Read a little history sometime.

And don't feel sorry for anyone living here. Over a million have joined us just this past decade, including TONS from the Tri-State area. Nobody held a gun to their heads. I guess this is the fastest growing Korean community in the U.S. "just because," right?

Beyond pathetic.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
What made you want to leave Cleveland
It's called a job transfer with my Dad's company. We moved a lot.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
First off why would anyone in their right mind be threatened from the capital of the deep south??

Secondly, native New Yorkers meaning not you, aren't embarrassed by me or anyone else. Unlike most transplants, I like the real NYC, not the transplant changing NYC. IMO, NYC in the 90's was the best place in the country when transplants didn't have a say in what stores stay or leave, what neighborhoods get a make over or not... I'm a transplants who wants to keep NYC the way it is.

Thirdly, your precious Atlantans make it their top headline news online to let the world know they are the New York of the South.
"The rapid expansion of Atlanta over the past twenty years has contributed greatly to its modern day reputation among tourists and residents alike as a city of limitless potential; more than deserving of the moniker “The New York of the South”."
Atlanta, Georgia – The New York of The South - The Real Atlanta .com - Entertainment Music Arts Local Artists Live Bands Indie Music Clubs Shows Rock Bands Hits Restaurants Pubs Atlanta Georgia

Search "Atlanta the New York of the South" and I got 72.8 million search results for that... 72 MILLION
Nobody that lives here calls it that. Period.

I guess it's all the transplanted New Yorkers. Maybe it makes them feel better about leaving their homeland, who knows?

IF there is a New York of the South, it's Miami.

Why so much bitter hatred? Did Delta misroute your bags or something?

Old 12-28-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
No, it isn't more integrated than metro Atlanta. Every ethnicity has their individual enclaves, including in the suburbs.

You honestly think segregation is a wonderful thing, huh? That's just sick, in my opinion. Those little segregated enclaves you're so proud of happened because the immigrants of yesterday HAD NO CHOICE. Read a little history sometime.

And don't feel sorry for anyone living here. Over a million have joined us just this past decade, including TONS from the Tri-State area. Nobody held a gun to their heads. I guess this is the fastest growing Korean community in the U.S. "just because," right?

Beyond pathetic.
Atlanta is the fastest growing Korean community? Good because compared to NYC, LA, SF, and DC its still miniature. Hey I guess if NYC got 500 new Koreans every 3 years we can label it the "fastest growing Korean community in the world", right? LOL

Yes I do think some segregation is a wonderful thing. Unlike Atlanta, people in NYC walk to where they have to go or take the transit. They interact daily, if immigrants want to live amongst their own kind, I say let them. That's what America is about, choices. They made theirs. And yes I do like the enclaves we have because of the little bit of segregation here in NYC, ramen boiled to perfection in Flushings, great variety of food and all in one place. Its a beautiful thing, IMO.

Atlanta has nothing like that, in fact Atlanta doesn't even have a Chinatown. Every multicultural city I have been to in America has a Chinatown.
Chinatowns in Canada and the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And yes NYC is more integrated than Atlanta, just look at Atlanta on that map. There is a north white side and south black side in Atlanta.

Compare that to NYC, credit Eric Fischer on Flikr for the image

NYC, where there is no north and south divide in segregation like Atlanta

Atlanta, where there are only white and blacks and very little of anything else

Old 12-28-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Nobody that lives here calls it that. Period.

I guess it's all the transplanted New Yorkers. Maybe it makes them feel better about leaving their homeland, who knows?

IF there is a New York of the South, it's Miami.

Why so much bitter hatred? Did Delta misroute your bags or something?
No I don't fly from airlines that are based in the deep south (yuck). Bitter hatred? I don't hate Atlanta, I just think Atlantans are drunk on the thought of perfection of their not-so-perfect city. That's all. Why so defensive, did Pepsi threaten to buy out Coca Cola again?

I know plenty of Atlantans who take pride in Atlanta being the NYC of the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City