Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 06:13 AM

793 posts, read 1,112,899 times

Advertisements

At this rate (adding 31,700 people per year), Oklahoma could break 4 million people at the 2020 census.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 02:42 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
To be accurate, "fast" growth is in Africa, Arab countries, and India and Southern Asia. Europe, China and the rest of Eastern Asia has very low birth rates. Some Chinese cities have the lowest fertility rate ever recorded in history. While Chinese government policy is mostly responsible, rates are now very low in Thailand, Malaysia, Koreas, Japan, and so on.
I agree with that but then again I'm not so much interested in states as I am in Metropolitans & Conurbations. I'm not the worlds biggest fan of "states" and in the 21st century I see them for what they are- they play a backseat to cities.

What I was talking about "fast" growth was more along the lines of say Greater Los Angeles from 1980 - 1990. It was over 3 million in one single decade. I'm not comparing American places with those of the rest of the world, we would lose that many times over.

I was talking about the rates & raw numbers of today versus that of America in the past. Who better to compare ourselves to then our own selves? We're ahead on the raw number count, our rates have dropped but that's obvious- the bigger a place becomes the harder it is to maintain high rates.

I think we're mostly in agreement here though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Immediately at the end of WWII Latin America was the first section of the third world to begin explosive growth as new medicines dramatically dropped the death rate. But LA has gone from the fastest growing region of the world to the point where in 20 years it will probably be essentially the same as the USA. Natural growth rates in the Southern Cone of South America where the population is of greater European descent have dropped to the point where they resemble much of America.
When the cost of living rises, birthrates drop and then immigration is what keeps a place afloat. At this point not even immigration could save a country like Japan.

Los Angeles at one point held the worlds fastest growth record but it's reached it's growth peak and now it's going to go the way of America on the whole. It's happened before, both New York & Tokyo have tied that record before of getting over 3 million in a decade. Now, they're both slow or stagnant.

However the worlds most alarming growth has come from a city in China.

In 1982 Greater Shenzhen: 351,871
In 1990 Greater Shenzhen: 1,214,800
In 2000 Greater Shenzhen: 7,008,428
In 2010 Greater Shenzhen: 10,357,938

If I'm not mistaken- this is by FAR the worlds fastest growing city & holds the record for that. The United States in contrast has reached it's limits, we're not going to be the "country" of rapid urbanization or growth. Our accomplishments of the past have been overshadowed and most likely will continue to be so & on top of that with the growth we're already seeing we don't even have the capital for infrastructure improvements across the country. It's really sad honestly.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:52 PM

630 posts, read 1,265,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Florida's average age is 38.7 versus the national average of 37.9. That's kind of a tired, outdated stereotype. Inexpensive housing, low taxes and the climate tend to draw people of all ages/backgrounds to live here.
Yes, but Florida is still the state with one of the highest, perhaps the highest, percentage of people 65 and older. Check Census Bureau quick facts if you need proof. As of 2011, 17.6% of Florida residents were in this age bracket while the national average was only 13.3%. Florida has a lot of young minorities and immigrants but they are balanced out by the large senior citizen population, creating a flatter natural increase than other states.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:35 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
Yes, but Florida is still the state with one of the highest, perhaps the highest, percentage of people 65 and older. Check Census Bureau quick facts if you need proof. As of 2011, 17.6% of Florida residents were in this age bracket while the national average was only 13.3%. Florida has a lot of young minorities and immigrants but they are balanced out by the large senior citizen population, creating a flatter natural increase than other states.
If the ranks of the senior citizens is only going to increase over time and if Florida attracts more than their fair share of the senior crowd, it only stands to reason that growth in Florida has a natural ally well into the future.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:26 PM

552 posts, read 720,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The Top 10 metro areas with population growth from July 2011 to July 2012 (according to the US Census):

#1 Dallas-Ft Worth
#2 Miami-Ft Lauderdale
#3 Austin
#4 Tampa-St Petersburg-Clearwater
#5 Houston
#6 Washington DC-VA-MD-WV
#7 Denver
#8 San Antonio
#9 Seattle-Tacoma
#10 Riverside-San Bernandino
You have a link for these? God why are people moving to Tampa still? The growth is killing this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City