Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 05:20 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
I have no sources saying that the Minnesota Orchestra "outranks" the St. Louis Symphony. In fact, I said that the Minnesota orchestra has been said many times to be one of the best in the world. Now, I did say that the Minnesota Orchestra is larger, which, since is based off of monetary statistics, is a fact, and could not be said about St. Louis. As far as the world renown part, that has no source but I have heard and read it in many places. That is the only weakness in my post, and, I'd like to remind you that "STLgasm" was originally talking about an orchestra that he/she didn't know if it existed or not. It's hard to compare two orchestras if one isn't sure one of them exists. I don't mean to come off so cynically, but it was necessary. Also, source wise, I read it on a website on my computer before I posted, but I am using a mobile device so feel free to look it up. Excuses, I know.
Another way to get a general assessment of orchestra quality is to look at player base pay. Again, these things are very subjective and, this is an imperfect picture; but higher pay-structures tend to draw higher-skilled musicians.

Top 20 U.S. orchestras by pay | StarTribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 05:21 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,864,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
An exerpt from a New Yorker review of the Minnesota Orchestra at Carnegie Hall in 2010:

"Vänskä has been the music director of the Minnesota since 2003. For some years, it has been evident that he is a conductor of genius, one whom Furtwängler might have recognized as a kindred spirit. The crucial element in his work is unanimity—not unanimity of execution (although that was hardly lacking) but unanimity of feeling. The climaxes were as shattering as on any other night, but the quietest moments registered even more strongly. I hope that Vänskä and his players went home happy, box-office receipts notwithstanding. For the duration of the evening of March 1st, the Minnesota Orchestra sounded, to my ears, like the greatest orchestra in the world."

The orchestral Olympics at Carnegie Hall : The New Yorker
This is the article I read.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:31 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
I've always thought the woodwinds section of the St Louis order was never quite up to elite standards, the Oboe section in particular sounds a bit tinny.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:08 PM

976 posts, read 2,243,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Another way to get a general assessment of orchestra quality is to look at player base pay. Again, these things are very subjective and, this is an imperfect picture; but higher pay-structures tend to draw higher-skilled musicians.

Top 20 U.S. orchestras by pay | StarTribune.com
sounds like a logical theory, but it holds no water whatsoever. one needn't look beyond sports teams to see that salary does not necessarily correlate with quality. if that were true, you'd only see the very largest markets represented in the championships year after year. that has never really been the case.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I've always thought the woodwinds section of the St Louis order was never quite up to elite standards, the Oboe section in particular sounds a bit tinny.
wow, you should start an orchestra quality assessment firm or something. you're obviously a pro, so you may as well get paid for your talents.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:12 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
sounds like a logical theory, but it holds no water whatsoever. one needn't look beyond sports teams to see that salary does not necessarily correlate with quality. if that were true, you'd only see the very largest markets represented in the championships year after year. that has never really been the case.
It's not "a theory". It's well understand among classical musicians and orchestral boards. But, I guess you can keep beating the dead horse if you like!

Old 12-18-2012, 06:15 PM

"Each season, Carnegie Hall plays host to some of America's greatest orchestras. Hailing from points coast to coast—Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Houston, Minnesota, New York, Philadelphia, St. Louis, and San Francisco—these orchestras are among the finest in the world."

The American Orchestra: The Philadelphia Orchestra | Carnegie Hall

both the st. louis and minnesota orchestras appear on the same lists as among the best in the country. no one can make a reasonable argument that one is in a different league than the other.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:27 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,864,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
wow, you should start an orchestra quality assessment firm or something. you're obviously a pro, so you may as well get paid for your talents.
Woah! Wait! Hold up! I thought people don't get paid based on talent and quality and that the don't get paid well for being a pro... because, you know, that's what you said!

Quote:

Old 12-18-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
Woah! Wait! Hold up! I thought people don't get paid based on talent and quality and that the don't get paid well for being a pro... because, you know, that's what you said!
i never said anything about how much he'd get paid.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:32 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Minneapolis-St.Paul is the most well-rounded metro in the Midwest. Chicagoland has more economic woes, mainly in the urban counties that also include NW Indiana. Minneapolis-St.Paul is also solidly Midwest while St. Louis and KC are closer to the periphery of the region. Minnesota has much better transit, recreation trails, Fortune 500 companies, strong entreprenurship culture, and has a strong pull factor from a much larger rural hinterland than any other large metro in the Midwest. This is an attribute of geography given the fact that Minneapolis St.Paul region is further removed from other competing metros of any size. In terms of educational attainment, this metro is much more balanced than any other in the Midwest with a high percentage of the populace with a four year degree in the vast majority of the metro counties minus a few on the northern side of the complex. MPLS also has the highest median household income of any metro in the Midwest as well. STL and KC will never be at the same level as Minneapolis St. Paul metroplex because of all the inherent factors already mentioned and the locational advantage of the metroplex.
Climate- Minneapolis-St.Paul. You know you're going to get four distinct seasons because at 45N you're exactly halfway between the equator and the pole. Disadvantages- a bit too much wind and denser tree coverage would be a bit more ideal. Advantages- a nice lower sun angle without the insane heat/humidity combination for very long stretches like you would find in the Lower Midwest. Disadvantages- Wind/Cold combination in the winter, but skyways are very nice and covered parking is more prominent. A bit more daylight during the afternoon hours in winter compared to areas at the far eastern edge of the central time zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City