Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:29 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Regarding Trenton, I got a first hand glimpse of the area from my plane window and its continuously developed with Philadelphia but there is a large rural gap between Trenton and the other side of the county where Princeton is, which is in a low density sprawling manner more connected to the NYC side IMO.

I also happened to make a drive from NYC to Boston, going through coastal Connecticut on the way and the entire stretch with no breaks at all from NYC to Hartford is overwhelmingly built up, especially along the coast of Connecticut on the Long Island Sound.

Yale is very much so influenced by NYC, its not even worth debating but Princeton I guess you could make an argument either way for. If and when Mercer reaches the requirement for NYC MSA, they will shift it to the NYC media market, those are updated every few years to reflect similarly to the census.

Media actually have nothing to do with the census at all, that is incorrect. On the earlier posts Mercer was part of thr Philly MSA (not CSA) until 1999. It only moved because of commuters not a change in mindset. The most significant factor in the change was the closing of Fairless Steel works in Fairless hills and the opening of the Merill facility one mile accrso the PA/NJ state line. Mercer now meets MSA for NYC, barely and also meets CSA linkage to Philly as it stands today. Just some complex commuter patterns in this area. Functionally its not all that changed. It met CSA linkage to both Philly and NYC in 2000, the local federal employees were actually able to make the choice in the 2000 (Census Criteria oddly enought) and did so because they got a 9% COL pay increase by doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 08:29 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Well, the criteria only says per capita in one of the categories (which weights for 10% in their ranking system) and it looks like they put a huge emphasis on research and within that research in STEMs stuff. With that in mind, it seems pretty obvious that the huge state research universities would do well in these rankings.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:37 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asthmatic Enemy Of God View Post
Wooah when did they move it to NYCs metro? I learn something new every day. Its closer to Philly to. Don't understand. And I am assuming most people in Princeton play in Philly. Oh well. Who runs the us mapping organization anyway? They mind as well put Philly in the NYC metro. Crap next year, AC might be apart of NYC to. Hey lets also move the damn liberty bell and constitution to NYC. I mean who even thinks of NYC when in Princeton. Not me lol
I made it from U Penn to Princeton in 30 minutes. Its 1 1/2 hours from Princeton to Manhattan.

I'm bombarded all day with ads from Princeton on Philly radio. Lexus of Princeton, Acura of Princeton,RDL dental of Lawrenceville etc etc.

If anything Princeton and Central Jersey should be a sperate metro. Unequivocally not a part of NYC.

Northern solid continuence in the Philly metro is Princeton/Trenton you see a fraction of seperation then New Brunswick,larger seperation then North Jersey/NYC.

Last edited by rainrock; 08-27-2012 at 08:46 AM..

Old 08-27-2012, 09:17 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asthmatic Enemy Of God View Post
Also how did UChicago, Columbia, UC Berkeley, Cal Tech and UCLA rank over uPenn? Interesting
Really? I would think the only questionnable one would be UCLA. I think UChicago and Columbia should be higher than Penn and UCBerkeley would be about even. CalTech would be far above Penn in engineering, but in other focus areas, not sure.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:02 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
America's Leading College Towns - Arts & Lifestyle - The Atlantic Cities

Old 08-27-2012, 11:21 AM

225 posts, read 352,219 times
Regarding the Princeton issue, I grew up in the town just next to Princeton and I can tell you that while it may technically be in the NY metro, really, local residents in Princeton and the surrounding towns have no significant relationship with either city. Some people commute but largely speaking, Princeton is way too inconvenient for commuting to either city. Geographically, Princeton is the halfway point between New York and Philly. Rather than overlapping influence from both cities, the area is lacking in any sort of allegiance. Really the best way to describe Princeton is New Jersey. It is one of the few areas in the state where New York and/or Philly do not have an overwhelming influence or even much of an influence at all. Practically speaking, Princeton is its own entity.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:27 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,154 times
Hey OP, you forgot to include Nashville. Vanderbilt is a very respectable #49 on that list.

That being said, I am also unsure about how valid that list is when you have top-shelf schools like UVA, Emory and Dartmouth missing from the top 100 but the top 100 includes places like Arizona, Arizona State, Michigan State, etc.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:28 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Hey OP, you forgot to include Nashville. Vanderbilt is a very respectable #49 on that list.

That being said, I am also unsure about how valid that list is when you have top-shelf schools like UVA, Emory and Dartmouth missing from the top 100 but the top 100 includes places like Arizona, Arizona State, Michigan State, etc.
Again, looking at the criteria, you'd see that it's massively in favor of larger research universities. There is one measurement that takes into per capita measurements and that gets weighted just ten percent while the other measures favor STEMs for the most part over other fields such as fine and performing arts (with the caveat of literature, but to follow along that point, there's also the fact that many of the STEMS Nobel Medals are often awarded to several people every year while the Literature medal is rewarded to a single person).

Rankings will be inexact, it's just too bad so many people take them so literally without understanding what gets lost in the methodology.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:39 AM

875 posts, read 1,660,850 times
Wow very surprised Emory & Tulane are not on the list, they are Southern Ivy schools. Not a fan of this list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City