Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 03:06 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Sorry 18, I'm going to have to distance myself from this ranking.

How could you explain UC Irvine or Boulder outperforming USC, BROWN, and Rice. The SAT scores required to get into these schools are nothing short of elite level, their acceptance rates are some of the most rigorous in the entire country, and a lot of these schools lead in engineering, business management, medicine, etc.

There's no reason on the face of the planet that Brown should be 65th and some reject school that practically lets everyone that applies in like Arizona State being anywhere near it and ahead of Rice.

That's absurd.
It's explained by the fact that school selectivity is obviously not a part of the criteria. Which makes this ranking as useless as t*ts on a bull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 03:27 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
It's explained by the fact that school selectivity is obviously not a part of the criteria. Which makes this ranking as useless as t*ts on a bull.
I do like the criteria of highly published and highly cited professors. I am not a real fan of the US News & World Report college rankings.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:45 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Sorry 18, I'm going to have to distance myself from this ranking.

How could you explain UC Irvine or Boulder outperforming USC, BROWN, and Rice. The SAT scores required to get into these schools are nothing short of elite level, their acceptance rates are some of the most rigorous in the entire country, and a lot of these schools lead in engineering, business management, medicine, etc.

There's no reason on the face of the planet that Brown should be 65th and some bottom tier school that practically lets everyone that applies in like Arizona State being anywhere near it and ahead of Rice.

We're comparing schools where the SAT composite scores are 1500/2400 and an acceptance rate of 85% being higher ranked than schools where you need 2200/2400 to get in with less than 20% acceptance rate. That's absurd.
Well this ranking does NOT take into account US-centric things such as SAT scores because students in other countries dont take the SATs.

Like I already posted, the criteria is the following:

For the above criteria, the ranking is what is found in the first post of this thread.

Other criteria may yield different results.

I think some people are unknowingly surprised at how different this ranking is from US News. Makes you wonder about US News' criteria, which appears to place an inordinate amount of emphasis on reputation and what seems like ZERO consideration for the caliber of the curriculum students face once they actually get or how expert the faculty is---which to me is far more important than alumni giving rates and how much teachers are paid(US News weighs both, which to me doesnt really matter in the context of quality).

Here is US News' college ranking criteria:
Methodology: Undergraduate Ranking Criteria and Weights - US News and World Report

Old 08-26-2012, 03:48 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Id rather a school were more selective of their faculty-hence this ranking showcases schools that do just that.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:55 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,903,140 times
wheres atlanta?

Old 08-26-2012, 04:06 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
University of Minnesota and University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign are both good schools, but few people regard them as being better than Northwestern or Washington University...

Old 08-27-2012, 08:09 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
I had NO IDEA the U of MN ranked higher than some other very prestigious universities (e.g. Northwestern, USC or Washington U) -- not because those universities suck, but because I thought the U of M was kinda "average", or slightly above average, at best. Meanwhile, my alma mater (Ohio State) ranked quite a bit lower than I would have hoped.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
University of Minnesota and University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign are both good schools, but few people regard them as being better than Northwestern or Washington University...
Agree, and maybe they shouldn't, but maybe U of M and U of I should be more highly regarded. For instance, this isn't the 1st time I've seen U of I as a top school in some ranking....it's CLEARLY a better school than I ever thought it was!

Old 08-27-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Ok, so before this topic goes its usual way:

Glad to see my alma mater rank so high. GO BEARS!

http://zennie62blog.com/wp-content/u...1/cal-logo.jpg

Not that most of this means anything to a lay person. For most people, where you went to school is a good conversation starter, but not determinative of what you can accomplish in life.

If you're in academia, that's another story altogether, but most people aren't.
Agree with you on that one! It's a "foot in the door", or a means to gain the experience to learn, but not a ticket to a job or career per se WHATSOEVER. Without the degree I couldn't do the job I'm doing, but the four years it took to gain my degree and every grade I received for my education was nuanced in a matter of seconds each time an employer views my resume. It's merely a checkmark on a LONG list of "wants". Once you gain some experience, your school and GPA become that much more of a checkmark!

Old 08-27-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
U of MN is NOT higher than Northwestern (or other Top Ten Universities). Pretty weird ranking.
Although I don't disagree, why do you single THAT one out? Did you go there or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City