Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 12:37 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,993,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asthmatic Enemy Of God View Post
Oh and I don't know who the Phillip guy is. Kinda make you look a loser for a guy who lives in the bay, not associated with the GOV would know who he is.
Philip Marlowe is a fictional American investigator, he's not related to the US government at all, he's a character in Raymond Chandler's novels. He's the closest thing the US fictional culture has to a Sherlock Holmes.

If you don't read then watch some of Raymond Chandler's films, he's old school from the earlier half of the 1900's but his stuff was golden. Sensationally he leaves his legacy a lot to look up to.
Quote:
Maybe you're right, I am exaggerating a little bit. Also that other guy is right. Only on city-data. I mean maybe for you (if you live in NYC) you wake up happy everyday because Princeton is in NYC's CSA.
Doesn't matter who associates what with where. I know a lot of people in Connecticut that look to NYC as "the city", as their city, and they go there for the airport, shopping, and any of their big city fixes because they live in a sprawling NYC area suburbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 12:37 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,948,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Distance doesn't matter all that much, living in California I can tell you first hand distance is not important. I know how you easterners feel about distance, 60 miles to you guys is seen as a whole different place, am I right?

California, 6 lane highways and at least 3 highways or more to our distances of 60 miles. Northeast, you guys have smaller infrastructure, 2 laners each way and that makes your "distance" much more distant. I understand your argument though, I drove first hand between everything from DC to Boston and its a clogged up traffic nightmare. 90 miles in that corridor feels like 140 miles just because of the number of commuters and the smaller infrastructure. 60 miles for us is 60 minutes or less and an hour is still "our area".

Although I am still inclined to say Yale is a NYC area school, hence they call the region "Tristate area" because western Connecticut is very infused with the region and NYC. On built up form NYC's sprawl goes uninterrupted into Hartford, it isn't until you reach Springfield that it starts to become much more patchy. Going the other way south from NYC, there's a considerable break in development between New Brunswick and the Trenton area with Princeton being an island in the middle of patchy development.

I mentioned before, Princeton can go either way. I can respect your case, it would make sense to me but Yale, sorry man I'm not on board with you folks on that one. That is unquestionably an NYC influenced school in 2012 just by uninterrupted development alone.
Completely right about the distance thing. Highways on the East Coast are terrible. Hopefully high-speed rail will alleviate some of that.

California is really impressive on this list because the tuition is much cheaper. It's great to have a degree from Harvard or Princeton but it better be ranking on these lists every year if the cost is $50,000+ per year and rising.

I always like to compare the overall list of Colleges to those with the best return on investment, and not just because my tiny college ranks top 20 lol.

http://images.businessweek.com/slide...est-roi#slide2

1. California Institute of Technology
2. MIT
3. Dartmouth
4. Stanford
5. Princeton
6. Duke
7. Colorado School of Mines
8. University of Penn
9. Harvard
10. University of Notre Dame
11. Babson College
12. Georgia Institute of Technology
13. Manhattan College
14. Columbia University
15. Colgate University
16. Amherst College
17. University of California, Berkeley
18. Yale University
19. Lafayette College
20. Clarkson University

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 08-26-2012 at 12:55 PM..

Old 08-26-2012, 12:40 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,388,424 times
Ok, so before this topic goes its usual way:

Glad to see my alma mater rank so high. GO BEARS!

http://zennie62blog.com/wp-content/u...1/cal-logo.jpg

Not that most of this means anything to a lay person. For most people, where you went to school is a good conversation starter, but not determinative of what you can accomplish in life.

If you're in academia, that's another story altogether, but most people aren't.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:10 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,993,662 times
Drew lines where metros should be cut off IMO. Mercer was consistently the point of cutoff between NYC and Phily. Photos from my flikr account. The area of Mercer is the border and at this point would be completely biased from either side claiming Princeton is more theirs than the other IMO. Yale on the other hand is DOMINATED by NYC's vigorous large chain of sprawl into Connecticut.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7138/7...df23da1edc.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8300/7...65e94089eb.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7131/7...ed6d5a67_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8425/7...25f2eb45_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8443/7...151cf914_z.jpg

Old 08-26-2012, 02:15 PM

37,205 posts, read 39,473,415 times
I understand a lot of it has to do with shifting requirements and trying to address the bias towards English-language institutions, but it's amazing how quickly the schools of other countries are shooting up from year to year.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:37 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,994,177 times
Arizona State > Georgia Tech is literally laughable.

Check out the admissions profiles:

Georgia Tech Profile - SAT Scores and Admissions Data for Georgia Tech - Georgia Institute of Technology
Arizona State University Profile - SAT Scores and Admissions Data

25th/75 percentiles of:

ASU ACT Composite: 21/27
Georgia Tech ACT Composite: 27/32

ASU SAT Reading: 480/600
Georgia Tech SAT Reading: 590/690

ASU SAT Math: 490/620
Georgia Tech SAT Math: 650/740

I'm sorry, but there's just no comparing these two schools. Someone with <1000 combined SAT score would have zero chance making it at GT.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:41 PM

484 posts, read 872,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asthmatic Enemy Of God View Post
Fair enough .. But still this list is fishy. Cal tech should be like number 20 and JHU should be ranked higher . Princeton is in Philly's CSA and UPenn should be ranked higher. Temple U should be on the list also.
Are you kidding me? Caltech is one of the premiere universities in the world.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:57 PM

886 posts, read 1,565,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, the reason why this is my absolute favorite ranking is because the criteria is cut and dry, dispensing of things I consider fluff like alumni giving rates and teacher-to-student ratio.

If we're talking quality of academics their criteria is the best Ive seen so far.

So maybe Northwestern and Case Western do better when things like teacher-to-student ratio and alumni giving rates are factored in, but I very much appreciate this ranking's emphasis on quality of faculty, education and the school's standing in science and research.
Sorry 18, I'm going to have to distance myself from this ranking.

How could you explain UC Irvine or Boulder outperforming USC, BROWN, and Rice. The SAT scores required to get into these schools are nothing short of elite level, their acceptance rates are some of the most rigorous in the entire country, and a lot of these schools lead in engineering, business management, medicine, etc.

There's no reason on the face of the planet that Brown should be 65th and some bottom tier school that practically lets everyone that applies in like Arizona State being anywhere near it and ahead of Rice.

We're comparing schools where the SAT composite scores are 1500/2400 and an acceptance rate of 85% being higher ranked than schools where you need 2200/2400 to get in with less than 20% acceptance rate. That's absurd.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:58 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,930,938 times
U of MN is NOT higher than Northwestern (or other Top Ten Universities). Pretty weird ranking.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:02 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,044,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Sorry 18, I'm going to have to distance myself from this ranking.

How could you explain UC Irvine or Boulder outperforming USC, BROWN, and Rice. The SAT scores required to get into these schools are nothing short of elite level, their acceptance rates are some of the most rigorous in the entire country, and a lot of these schools lead in engineering, business management, medicine, etc.

There's no reason on the face of the planet that Brown should be 65th and some reject school that practically lets everyone that applies in like Arizona State being anywhere near it and ahead of Rice.

That's absurd.
No Wake Forest, Emory, UVA, or Georgia Tech - 4 highly-rated universities that didn't make the top 100 in this ranking. I totally agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City