Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 04:14 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,768 times

Advertisements

NO's accent topic has been done before. I have posted another thread about this topic. It's called the 'Yat' dialect.

I also found a thread in the NYC forum that someone else posted.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-york-city/1573694-have-you-ever-met-someone-new.html

The history behind this dialect Yat dialect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A lot of outsiders think all the people in New Olreans sound the same like Cajun or Southern what they don't know is that the city has several dialects. The Yat dialect tone is different from the Southern tone. There really is no general all in one accent tone for the city like you find in other cities. This is a more accurate video of the various accent dialects found in New Olreans. This is what makes New Orleans unique because not everyone is the same across the board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 04:15 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
I was just showing that New Orleans did come of age during colonial times which is similar to the Northeast cities
Since you are using Wikipedia as your source, let's see what one might infer about the prominence of NOLA as a US colonial city:

1. They consider the colonial period as ending in 1776: "The colonial history of the United States covers the history from the start of European settlement until 1776 when the Thirteen Colonies declared their independence as the United States of America during King George III's rule."(Colonial history of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

2. NOLA's population in 1788 was under 5500 soles. (New Orleans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). With that population, had NOLA been part of the US, it would would not have even been among the top 10 cities in population in the first US census of 1790. And even at that, keep in mind this was a full 14 years after the colonial period ended (Largest cities in the United States by population by decade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Further, the largest cities in the US in 1776 at the actual close of the colonial era were Philadelphia (40,000) New York (24,000) Boston (14,000), Charleston (12,000) and Norwich (7,400), each several times the size of NOLA at that time.

I simply don't accept your interpretation of what constitutes the US colonial era nor what you consider the significant cities of that time. I have nothing invested in disabusing you of your notions if they are consistent with what you've been taught or have come to believe, however.

In closing, I will remind you of the actual topic of the thread: "Is New Orleans the most Eastern looking city in the South?" I have provided my answer to the OPs question and my rationale behind it. If you want to continue nitpick over a tangent unrelated to the topic, I have no interest. Perhaps you will find another poster willing to engage with you, however.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 06-09-2012 at 04:27 PM..

Old 06-09-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Since you are using Wikipedia as your source, let's see what one might infer about the prominence of NOLA as a US colonial city:

1. They consider the colonial period as ending in 1776: "The colonial history of the United States covers the history from the start of European settlement until 1776 when the Thirteen Colonies declared their independence as the United States of America during King George III's rule."(Colonial history of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

2. NOLA's population in 1788 was under 5500 soles. (New Orleans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). With that population, had NOLA been part of the US, it would would not have even been among the top 10 cities in population in the first US census of 1790. And even at that, keep in mind this was a full 14 years after the colonial period ended (Largest cities in the United States by population by decade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Further, the largest cities in the US in 1776 at the actual close of the colonial era were Philadelphia (40,000) New york (24,000) Boston (14,000), Charleston (12,000) and Norwich (7,400), each several times the size of NOLA at that time.

I simply don't accept your interpretation of what constitutes the US colonial era nor what you consider the significant cities of that time. I have nothing invested in disabusing you of your notions if they are consistent with what you've been taught or have come to believe, however.

In closing, I will remind you that this is the topic of the thread: "Is New Orleans the most Eastern looking city in the South?" I have provided my answer to the OPs question and my rationale behind it. If you want to continue nitpick over a tangent unrelated to the topic, I have no interest. Perhaps you will find another poster willing to engage with you, however.
I hear no mention of him claiming New Orleans being part of the 13 colonies. He only mentioned that it existed during colonial times along with the Northeast cities. Fact, is that this seaport city did exist during the colonial period. The claim of it being a US colonial city wasn't even mentioned.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:43 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
The closest any city has culturally to NOLA in terms of Black Culture outside of Louisiana is probably Houston and the small cities of East Texas, due to the Creole Connection and geography.

Fifth Ward, Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...I8f3yYX2Tu1P0w

Louisiana Creole French - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...gsiqpGaWOaNNKA

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...cgVC-rMO4BpKrg
Actually, I think Mobile, AL would be the closest in culture to New Orleans. Keep in mind that Creole and Cajun aren't the same thing.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:17 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
I hear no mention of him claiming New Orleans being part of the 13 colonies.
Nor did I state as much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
He only mentioned that it existed during colonial times along with the Northeast cities.
No. If you'll re-read the posts, you'll find he actually said it "came of age" during the colonial era. Perhaps you agree. I don't. Given this has no bearing on how I view the topic of thread, perhaps you and jimbo can compare notes on this as it seems to interest you. I simply find it an unenlightening sideshow.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:59 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Late 1800s is what I call new. Much of the building stock, street-layout, parks of the city cores of Philly, Boston and NOLA all date from before 1750.
Well, then I suppose NO is 'new' as well, because outside the Vieux Carré very little of its building stock predates that era either.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:15 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,843 times
Quote:

2. NOLA's population in 1788 was under 5500 soles. (New Orleans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). With that population, had NOLA been part of the US, it would would not have even been among the top 10 cities in population in the first US census of 1790. And even at that, keep in mind this was a full 14 years after the colonial period ended (Largest cities in the United States by population by decade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Further, the largest cities in the US in 1776 at the actual close of the colonial era were Philadelphia (40,000) New York (24,000) Boston (14,000), Charleston (12,000) and Norwich (7,400), each several times the size of NOLA at that time.

In closing, I will remind you of the actual topic of the thread: "Is New Orleans the most Eastern looking city in the South?" I have provided my answer to the OPs question and my rationale behind it. If you want to continue nitpick over a tangent unrelated to the topic, I have no interest. Perhaps you will find another poster willing to engage with you, however.

In case you never took a history class, New Orleans was not part of the US until 1803. The New Orleans/Louisiana colonial period (both French and Spanish) lasted until the Louisiana Purchase.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:27 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,274 times
Quote:

You said "NOLA came of age during the civil war/ante-bellum period, which, to be clear, I consider the few decades leading up to the civil war" and you acted like New Orleans was insignificant before that when in fact it was still a large and important city. I then showed that in 1810 New Orleans was a top ten city and then presumably in 1790 it could have also been a top ten since in 1788 it had a population of 5,331 and that is only 330 people less than the cities in the #10 spot in 1790. New Orleans was founded in 1718 and was a well established city with a respectable population before 1776 but of course New Orleans' colonial period did not end until 1803 with the Louisiana Purchase (New Orleans was one of the main reasons for the Louisiana Purchase). The French Quarter is the original colonial center with a good amount of buildings dating from the mid to late 1700s and even outside of this area there are buildings from the 1700s. So New Orleans was a well established city before the ante-bellum period (which you yourself defined as the "few decades leading up to the civil war") and definetly came into its own before this period and was well established before 1776 and defintely before 1803 when New Orleans' colonial period ended. I respect most of your opinion, but I and a few other posters had a problem with how you said Northeast cities "came into their own during colonial times" but New Orleans "started taking off during the civil war and ante-bellum years" which we found to be incorrect and felt the need to correct. If you feel like you are still correct, then there is not much I can do about that and that will be okay, but I just have a different view point.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 06-09-2012 at 09:51 PM..

Old 06-10-2012, 04:11 PM

There is no doubt New Orleans was a colonial period city. The "French Quarter" existed in 1734.

Boston
A

B

New Orleans
A

B

Old 06-10-2012, 04:38 PM

386 posts, read 986,703 times
I would say the most eastern looking southern cities are Richmond, and Norfolk VA. Both cities (esp. Richmond) have areas where you would think you are in DC or Baltimore. I guess that's why people debate if these cities are considered southern or mid-atlantic. The topic doesn't debate accents, but I noticed they were mentioned in the thread. I don't hear a strong connection between NO and DC expect when some people say "out chea" which is said everywhere now. I would say some AA people from Richmond sound similar to people from NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City